Setting up new sails and rigging - Missing parts - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Setting up new sails and rigging - Missing parts

I'm doing a lot of prep work to my Merit 22 in preparation for my honeymoon sail around the San Juans.

Problem 1:

Adding a boom vang.
I'm going to do a cascading boom vang, and I'm thinking this: https://l-36.com/cascade_vang.php

So I need a boom bail, and pad eye or bail at the base of the mast, plus the blocks.

The problem is that I don't have a deck organizer, and don't really plan on getting one.

Problem 2:

I'm adding a symmetrical spinnaker to the boat. She's a masthead rig. I've never used a spinnaker and want to try it.

I have the spinnaker, and a pole, but nothing else.

I'll need to add a mast padeye
I also need to add a mast crane and block for the spinnaker halyard
(2) turning blocks for the spinnaker sheets, I plan on just tying them to the aft cleats for now.
(2) sheets, I need them twice the length of the boat right, so 2x44'
(2) cam cleats ahead of the blocks for the sheets

My problem is that I'm not sure what lines I need to rig the pole. What all do I need for it, and where and how do I run the lines?

My understanding is that I need:

Topping lift for the pole
Downhaul for the pole

I've been reading articles online, but they mostly are for asymmetricals, or they assume my boat already has most of the parts.

So my questions are:

Boom Vang

1. I'd like to just put a cam cleat on the cabintop for the boom vang. Can I use a bullet fairlead to line up the vang with the cam cleat? Something like this: https://westcoastsailing.net/bullseye-fairlead/

Spinnaker
2. I'll need to add a mast padeye, something like this: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/rons...ng-2-3-8in-dia Can I do this with a stationary padeye, or do I need to add a track?
3.Topping lift for the pole. Where do I fasten this? Do I need another block at the top of the mast with a cam cleat a little lower than the mast padeye? Or can I rig it partway down the mast?

4.Downhaul for the pole. Again, where do I fasten this? How do I rig it?

Edit, I completely forgot about the guys. Now I need to figure those out.

Last edited by BoatWulf; 5 Days Ago at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 5 Days Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: Setting up new sails and rigging - Missing parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatWulf View Post
I'm doing a lot of prep work to my Merit 22 in preparation for my honeymoon sail around the San Juans.

Problem 1:

Adding a boom vang.
I'm going to do a cascading boom vang, and I'm thinking this: https://l-36.com/cascade_vang.php

So I need a boom bail, and pad eye or bail at the base of the mast, plus the blocks.

The problem is that I don't have a deck organizer, and don't really plan on getting one.

Problem 2:

I'm adding a symmetrical spinnaker to the boat. She's a masthead rig. I've never used a spinnaker and want to try it.

I have the spinnaker, and a pole, but nothing else.

I'll need to add a mast padeye
I also need to add a mast crane and block for the spinnaker halyard
(2) turning blocks for the spinnaker sheets, I plan on just tying them to the aft cleats for now.
(2) sheets, I need them twice the length of the boat right, so 2x44'
(2) cam cleats ahead of the blocks for the sheets

My problem is that I'm not sure what lines I need to rig the pole. What all do I need for it, and where and how do I run the lines?

My understanding is that I need:

Topping lift for the pole
Downhaul for the pole

I've been reading articles online, but they mostly are for asymmetricals, or they assume my boat already has most of the parts.

So my questions are:

Boom Vang

1. I'd like to just put a cam cleat on the cabintop for the boom vang. Can I use a bullet fairlead to line up the vang with the cam cleat? Something like this: https://westcoastsailing.net/bullseye-fairlead/

Spinnaker
2. I'll need to add a mast padeye, something like this: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/rons...ng-2-3-8in-dia Can I do this with a stationary padeye, or do I need to add a track?
3.Topping lift for the pole. Where do I fasten this? Do I need another block at the top of the mast with a cam cleat a little lower than the mast padeye? Or can I rig it partway down the mast?

4.Downhaul for the pole. Again, where do I fasten this? How do I rig it?

Edit, I completely forgot about the guys. Now I need to figure those out.
The pole position on the mast must be adjustable so you need to add a moveable car on a track. The car can have a pin for position adjustment.

The topping lift needs to run from the cockpit to mast base to a block 2/3s or more up the front of mast then to pole end. Adjustable under use.

The foreguy runs from cockpit to middle of foredeck or stemhead to pole end. Adjustable under use. May be optional on 22'.

For more foreguy, sheets, turning blocks and tweakers see 'standard sheets' here
https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3913

Keep the boomvang simple see 4:1 here
https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3897
It doesn't need to go back to cockpit unless you fancy yourself a serious racer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 5 Days Ago at 08:45 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
The pole position on the mast must be adjustable so you need to add a moveable car on a track. The car can have a pin for position adjustment.

The topping lift needs to run from the cockpit to mast base to a block 2/3s or more up the front of mast then to pole end. Adjustable under use.

The foreguy runs from cockpit to middle of foredeck or stemhead to pole end. Adjustable under use. May be optional on 22'.

For more foreguy, sheets, turning blocks and tweakers see 'standard sheets' here
https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3913

Keep the boomvang simple see 4:1 here
https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3897
It doesn't need to go back to cockpit unless you fancy yourself a serious racer.
No racing planned, ever. Just pleasure sailing.

I think this is going to be more money than I had budgeted. I had hoped that since I already had the spinnaker and pole that I could get away with under $200 to set it up. I'll probably have to put it off until next season. Just the mast track and car are going to take up my budget, plus probably another 6 blocks, and I haven't counted them all up yet.

I'm already almost double the initial cost of the boat just on my upgrades for the honeymoon. I think a spinnaker just won't be in the cards.

I will do the Boom Vang though. But why do the 4:1 fiddle arrangement? Penciling it out, the cascade at 8:1 is about half the price since they're just standard blocks. Is there a disadvantage to the cascade?

Last edited by BoatWulf; 5 Days Ago at 10:44 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 4 Days Ago

For casual use a fixed bale for the spinnaker pole will work just fine. No need for the expense of a track and car on the mast unless you want to stow the pole on the mast. If that, you are talking about a bunch of hardware and expense.

I've got a 4-1 vang on my 28' and it works so your smaller boat should also be happy with a 4-1. If you find you need more force you can easily add a cascade with a block on the pad eye you'll need for the 4-1.

It is nice to have control lines led aft but you can do everything at the mast. Find I take advantage of the adjustment ability if it is convenient to use which means led aft but that's just for convenience. You can get by with eye's for turning lines in a boat your size.

I would set up the pole, at least the topping lift and bale. DDW you'll want to pole out a jib and you'll need to be able rig a pole for that. I buy all my blocks used on eBay. Prefer Harken as they aren't as effected by UV like Schaefer stuff is. For the pole blocks large Bullet blocks should work fine. 1/4" line will suffice if your hands can live with the small diameter.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
BoatWulf (4 Days Ago)
post #5 of 20 Old 4 Days Ago
Barquito

The bullet fairlead may work because the line won't be under much tension (especially if you do an 8:1), but, they will have a bit of friction if they turn the line too much. I think you should have the vang line run back to the cockpit. It is nice (maybe even a safety issue) to be able to blow the vang quickly from the cockpit.

Valiant 32
post #6 of 20 Old 4 Days Ago

keep it simple. don't need a track or line running to cockpit it is 22 foot boat so the whole boat is the cockpit really don't even need blocks for the vang use low friction rings and tie everything to gather with small line. for 22 foot boat you should look at how the vang is made on small dingies and do it that way. if you realy want real blocks then buy a Garhauer Vang they have 4 to one for about $150 that would be more then enough for that boat. for a spinnaker on that size boat you can rig it simple with climbing hardware like figure 8 rings or carabiners tied to the rail or cleat. tie one to the mast head for the halyard. first try with a spinnaker should be on a very calm water light wind day and it is really helpful if you have an experienced sailor with you.
And do not try the spinnaker on your honey moon , very bad idea, if it is her idea then it is OK

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
BoatWulf (4 Days Ago)
post #7 of 20 Old 4 Days Ago

The Merit 22 was quite popular for racing, so I am surprised your boat isn't already equipped for spinnakers. The mast should have an exit point about 2/3 up the mast for a topping lift, and an extra sheave or exit point at the masthead for a halyard. You likely don't need a crane at the masthead, just a block on a bale above the forestay would be fine. Boats that size typically do not have a track on the mast for a spinnaker car, they just have a ring riveted to the mast at a fixed point for the pole.

As for the vang, I think you should use blocks for smoother operation, but they don't have to be Harken Carbo blocks! You don't have to mount a cleat to the deck. A simple 4:1 using fiddle blocks and a cam cleat should be fine, but if you decide you want more power you can double it with a cascade.

Harken's website is loaded with information on ways to rig your boat!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
The Following User Says Thank You to SchockT For This Useful Post:
BoatWulf (4 Days Ago)
post #8 of 20 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
The Merit 22 was quite popular for racing, so I am surprised your boat isn't already equipped for spinnakers. The mast should have an exit point about 2/3 up the mast for a topping lift, and an extra sheave or exit point at the masthead for a halyard. You likely don't need a crane at the masthead, just a block on a bale above the forestay would be fine. Boats that size typically do not have a track on the mast for a spinnaker car, they just have a ring riveted to the mast at a fixed point for the pole.

As for the vang, I think you should use blocks for smoother operation, but they don't have to be Harken Carbo blocks! You don't have to mount a cleat to the deck. A simple 4:1 using fiddle blocks and a cam cleat should be fine, but if you decide you want more power you can double it with a cascade.

Harken's website is loaded with information on ways to rig your boat!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
That's what my impression was as well. I did not think a boat of this size typically had a track. I won't be racing at all, I'll just be pleasure cruising and putting up a spinnaker for fun when the wind is low.

I'll look at my mast again, but I don't think there is any exit for a topping lift. All the halyards are externally run, and since it's a masthead rig, there's not really any room above the forestay to put a bale.

I do metal work however, so i was going to fab up a simple stainless crane.

All the replies about keeping it simple are really giving me ideas and helping me out.

Is there a rule of thumb on the height to put the pole padeye on the mast?
post #9 of 20 Old 4 Days Ago

If you have not flown a spinnaker before, I am not sure I'd try it on the honeymoon even if it was her idea. I agree you could get by with low friction rings although you can likely buy used blocks for about the same price as the rings. I do like your stainless crane for the halyard. If you have a furler, be sure that the halyard block clears the jib halyard by enough so that the furler can't foul the spinny halyard.
post #10 of 20 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
If you have not flown a spinnaker before, I am not sure I'd try it on the honeymoon even if it was her idea. I agree you could get by with low friction rings although you can likely buy used blocks for about the same price as the rings. I do like your stainless crane for the halyard. If you have a furler, be sure that the halyard block clears the jib halyard by enough so that the furler can't foul the spinny halyard.
I've never flown one no. I have heard a lot of horror stories though.

She's always asking if there's any way to go faster on the days when there's not much wind and we're drifting around. She's been very excited at the thought of a spinnaker. So I thought I would try it out by waiting until there's little to no wind, probably 3 or 4 knots, and then I'll do my best to handle the sail while she runs the helm. She's getting a lot better on the tiller, so I'm hoping that the combination of light air and a steady helm along with her handling the sheet when needed, will work out to be fun.

I don't intend to fly it when the wind picks up to our normal comfort zone until we have more practice.

We'll be in the San Juans for a week, almost all onboard.

No furler, hanked on jib and I think our genoa is about 130%. A new mainsail on it's way though!

I dreaded putting money into this boat, we're ready for a bigger one, but I decided to keep it since we can trailer it up to the San Juans instead of being stuck down on the Columbia river. I'm not yet comfortable in going outside and up the coast from Portland, even on a bigger boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in