Looking for advice and info! FL to bahamas! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-26-2007 Thread Starter

Looking for advice and info! FL to bahamas!

A friend of mine has an old 33 foot sail boat and is doing his best to convince myself and another friend to accompany him on an adventure from Port Canaveral, Florida to the Bahamas, to Grand Bahama, Abaco, Eleuthera, Cat Island, San Salvador, Conception Island, Rum Cay, Long Island, Crooked Island, Mayaguana.

I am curious about the feasibility of this. Also, should this be a perfectly reasonable excursion, what might the limits be on continuing on from the Bahamas into the Caribbean islands?

I would love to hear about any experiences people might share as well as just general advice about our potential trip.

Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-26-2007
Aquaholic

"A little more information would be helpful", said Captain Understatement

Not to be a [email protected]$$; but we will definitely be able to help you answer your question if you let us know a lot more about the boat, the captain, his experiences, etc./ etc. etc.

Welcome aboard, by the way,
Fred

I got an Old Fat Boat
She's Slow But Handsome
Hard In The Chine, but Soft In The Transom
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
post #3 of 11 Old 11-26-2007

It's very "doable" on an old 33ft sailboat...

Depending on the weather window, capt., crew and how well kept that "old" boat is.
New boats sink just like old boats and the weather doesn't care how old your boat is just how well it is kept up.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-26-2007

Do what I always do -- buy a book. There are lots of great books out there about sailing to the bahamas!
post #5 of 11 Old 11-26-2007
1997 Dehler 33

I agree with AjariBonten, you question is summarized as: a friend of mine has a 33 ft boat and we are trying to convince ourselves the boat and crew are capable to go to the Bahamas and beyond, what do you think?

How can I answer that; the question is just too general. With all due respect, if you do not understand that, then my answer is a definite no, you should not go. Do you have more specific questions or concerns?

This board has many knowledgable sailors who probably have direct experience with that area and have done what you want to do, but they need to know your foundation. I was only there once, a few years ago on a Hylas 54, Ft. Lauderdale diverted to Rum Cay after some sail damage and system malfunctions during a storm of 22 ft waves and 45-50 kts of wind.

Didn't we have a thread on this a few weeks ago, "too general questions" maybe it was boat buying? That discussion should be a sticky on every forum.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-26-2007
Old Gaffer

You said "adventure". There are many definitions for this word. One that comes to mind, "An unpleasant experience that does not kill you."

Have some limited local adventures before you set off. The size of the boat hardly matters. The crew matters the most. I had a ten month adventure in an old 26 ft ketch in 1960, sailing from Boston to the British Virgins and back. We did a lot of planning before we left, and we had more than our share of problems along the way, but it was a fantastic experience. There were three of us, which I think was our biggest problem. For a long trip it's much better to have two or four, but not three.

You're going to get a lot of conflicting advice. Just be careful, and have a great time.

Never sail closer to the wind in degrees than your age

Last edited by FishSticks; 11-26-2007 at 07:39 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-26-2007

I would like to be the first to say welcome to sailnet . Theres a lot of old salts here to give you plenty of advice . Your first question was "is it feasable ? " . You betcha its plenty feasable . Second question was " what are the limits?" . By the time you get from Canaveral to Ft Lauderdale before you cross the Gulfstream you will know the answer to that . The boats upkeep , the skippers Kung Fu , the crews willingness to continue , and of course how many greenbacks you have left to blow on the voyage .
So in short yup and no limit . Hows your life insurance policy?

Best of luck with it
Paul
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2007
Telstar 28

A lot depends on what 33' sailboat it is, and what kind of shape the boat is in. Without more information, like the make/model of the boat, the experience of the captain and crew, it is really hard to say whether it is feasible or risky. A good boat, in good condition, with a skilled captain and experienced crew... the trip should be relatively easy to do... with a badly maintained boat or an inexperienced captain or crew, it might be a life-risking endeavor... or anything in-between based on the shape of the boat, and the skills of the captain and crew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trosstwo View Post
A friend of mine has an old 33 foot sail boat and is doing his best to convince myself and another friend to accompany him on an adventure from Port Canaveral, Florida to the Bahamas, to Grand Bahama, Abaco, Eleuthera, Cat Island, San Salvador, Conception Island, Rum Cay, Long Island, Crooked Island, Mayaguana.

I am curious about the feasibility of this. Also, should this be a perfectly reasonable excursion, what might the limits be on continuing on from the Bahamas into the Caribbean islands?

I would love to hear about any experiences people might share as well as just general advice about our potential trip.

Thanks very much!

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-27-2007
moderate?

Setting the boat aside and assuming it is a well built and well maintained 33 footer...there is no problem in taking one all the way to the Turks and Caicos assuming you have the TIME to wait in sheltered anchorages for the right day to make each passage.
But no one leaves for the Bahamas from Port Canaveral since you will be fighting the gulf stream all the way. Leave from West Palm Beach or Ft. Lauderdale.
Your whole trip can be done in a series of day or overnight hops in semi-protected waters with places to duck into along the way. Going further than the Turks and Caicos in a 33 foot boat is much tougher and requires a strong seaworthy boat in that size range and a steady captain and crew with some experieince IMHO.
The definitive text on this is Bruce Van Sants Gentleman's Guide to Passages South. For the Abacos see Dodge's Guide to Abacos.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2007

tt, if your worried that should speak to you stright away.... however, if the boat is sound and you have the safety equipment needed and most importantly time, it could be one of the best experiences of your life. no matter how far you rome, those first land falls are always the the most memorable. any reasonably maintained production boat could make that trip in complete safety, BUT, again good weather windows are crucial..... schudules have taken more sailors that any other factor. the wealth of knowledge and experience given by most of the good people on this site is a great asset. please let us know how it shakes out. all sailing ships are safe in familiar, safe harbors, but thats not why their built..... good luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in