SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The downside of sailboat ownership (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/38984-downside-sailboat-ownership.html)

sailingdog 12-03-2007 05:10 PM

If they want to be coddled...then they're on the wrong type of boat.

Moonfish 12-03-2007 05:24 PM

Denise - Interesting topic, one that most all of us can relate to in one way or another. The one thing that keeps sailing in perspective for me is that I'm thankful only a small fraction of the human race gets it - let alone pursues it. Can you imagine how awful it would be if EVERYONE liked sailing...? :o

Raggbagger 12-03-2007 05:33 PM

Yup I hear ya . Once upon a time I used to have a bucket full of pals that would hang out and get crazy on the weekends. Then I moved away from land and onto my boat. My social life took a turn for the worst. No phone calls , no one stopping by . What was the deal ? Where they afraid of the dock? Was it jealousy ? Who really knows but it did happen. Then after a little whyle I started making new friends that all owned boats and pretty soon almost my entire social scene revolved around other sailors , even a stink-potter or two. So although it can be daunting at first , things will change and your friends will be others that share common interests.
Its just a matter of time , also the more you travel on your boat the more great folks you will meet . Thats been my case and Im sure it will be yours too. When one door closes another opens.

FishSticks 12-03-2007 05:58 PM

Denise, Raggbagger expressed it well. Give it some time, and you'll be collecting new, interesting friends along the waterfront. They will have diverse backgrounds which makes it really interesting. Membership in a yacht or boat club helps, but there are other ways to network with sailors.

A spring cruise on the Chesapeake will be a great way to get in the groove next year. Check out Baltimore - it is one friendly place. Although I hail from Massachusetts I belong to the Fells Point YC in Baltimore, and I know one member from up your way. Keeps his boat there and comes down every weekend.

teshannon 12-03-2007 06:30 PM

Denise,
I wouldn't call it a downside but rather a challenge. Once you've exhausted the group that just wants to out once to try it then you're left with only a few who want to go out again. We're all to varying degrees in the same boat. Fortunately my family loves to sail but they're all married with other obligations and so you're left staring at yourself saying "what now". That's where single handing comes in. I'd still like to have company when sailing but have gotten to a point where I go out myself rather than miss a nice day. Find it very rewarding.

rennisaint 12-03-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

my experiance is people want to be coddled. Try to teach them anything they balk, others are terrified they will "break" something. then, theres the "too hot, too cold, too windy, too late, too early, what to eat, when do we get back, why did you go so, far people.
The trick with the whiny people is to just ask young dumb kids (21-25) along. Not meaning stupid, just not smart enough to know that when you have to back the trailer out onto the ice until it breaks through, then shove the boat off to sail, which is a racing scow that you will probably end up flipping several times, the season is probably over. And yes, up here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we do dumb stuff like this, and yes, we have over three feet of snow already. Sadly, the canal is now totally frozen so no more sailing :(

Sailormann 12-03-2007 07:49 PM

I like sailing alone. There are some people who think I'm strange to want to go out on the water by myself, but they tend to be the more troubled souls. Unfortunately, I find that I am out with guests more often than I am out solo. Something I need to change in 2008.

wiseleyb 12-03-2007 11:22 PM

I love the people who show up to go sailing and tell you they've only got an hour... great, we'll leave the docks, haul up the sails, go 10 feet, drop the sails and get back to the slip.

I like sailing solo as well. 99% of the non-boat world is on a non-negotiable schedule.

sailingdog 12-03-2007 11:28 PM

I basically tell my crew and guests... we can't keep a set schedule, doing so is relatively unreasonable given a boat that is subject to the whims of nature and can be quite dangerous. :D If they can't stay out the whole time, they can get off before we leave the dock.

camaraderie 12-03-2007 11:56 PM

Interesting topic Denise.
One thing to consider is that your friends like you and find you interesting for the things you were before you became a sailor. Since they have no interest in sailing themselves, to them, it is just something you do APART from them.

When we left for full time cruising, one of the biggest (and best) surprises to me was just how many very close friends we made in a short time "out there" ...probably more in 6 years cruising than in 30+ years of business and "neighborhood" living.
Having thousands of other "nuts" out there with similar dreams and similar concerns and needing each others advice and help just makes for a wonderful community. Probably the thing I miss most since becoming a landlubber again. (sailnet is a good proxy!)
Anyway...you just will have to go cruising to find true happiness!