The downside of sailboat ownership - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 Old 12-03-2007
Telstar 28

If they want to be coddled...then they're on the wrong type of boat.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Denise - Interesting topic, one that most all of us can relate to in one way or another. The one thing that keeps sailing in perspective for me is that I'm thankful only a small fraction of the human race gets it - let alone pursues it. Can you imagine how awful it would be if EVERYONE liked sailing...?
post #13 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Yup I hear ya . Once upon a time I used to have a bucket full of pals that would hang out and get crazy on the weekends. Then I moved away from land and onto my boat. My social life took a turn for the worst. No phone calls , no one stopping by . What was the deal ? Where they afraid of the dock? Was it jealousy ? Who really knows but it did happen. Then after a little whyle I started making new friends that all owned boats and pretty soon almost my entire social scene revolved around other sailors , even a stink-potter or two. So although it can be daunting at first , things will change and your friends will be others that share common interests.
Its just a matter of time , also the more you travel on your boat the more great folks you will meet . Thats been my case and Im sure it will be yours too. When one door closes another opens.

post #14 of 42 Old 12-03-2007
Old Gaffer

Denise, Raggbagger expressed it well. Give it some time, and you'll be collecting new, interesting friends along the waterfront. They will have diverse backgrounds which makes it really interesting. Membership in a yacht or boat club helps, but there are other ways to network with sailors.

A spring cruise on the Chesapeake will be a great way to get in the groove next year. Check out Baltimore - it is one friendly place. Although I hail from Massachusetts I belong to the Fells Point YC in Baltimore, and I know one member from up your way. Keeps his boat there and comes down every weekend.

Never sail closer to the wind in degrees than your age
post #15 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Denise,
I wouldn't call it a downside but rather a challenge. Once you've exhausted the group that just wants to out once to try it then you're left with only a few who want to go out again. We're all to varying degrees in the same boat. Fortunately my family loves to sail but they're all married with other obligations and so you're left staring at yourself saying "what now". That's where single handing comes in. I'd still like to have company when sailing but have gotten to a point where I go out myself rather than miss a nice day. Find it very rewarding.
post #16 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Quote:
my experiance is people want to be coddled. Try to teach them anything they balk, others are terrified they will "break" something. then, theres the "too hot, too cold, too windy, too late, too early, what to eat, when do we get back, why did you go so, far people.
The trick with the whiny people is to just ask young dumb kids (21-25) along. Not meaning stupid, just not smart enough to know that when you have to back the trailer out onto the ice until it breaks through, then shove the boat off to sail, which is a racing scow that you will probably end up flipping several times, the season is probably over. And yes, up here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we do dumb stuff like this, and yes, we have over three feet of snow already. Sadly, the canal is now totally frozen so no more sailing
post #17 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

I like sailing alone. There are some people who think I'm strange to want to go out on the water by myself, but they tend to be the more troubled souls. Unfortunately, I find that I am out with guests more often than I am out solo. Something I need to change in 2008.
post #18 of 42 Old 12-04-2007

I love the people who show up to go sailing and tell you they've only got an hour... great, we'll leave the docks, haul up the sails, go 10 feet, drop the sails and get back to the slip.

I like sailing solo as well. 99% of the non-boat world is on a non-negotiable schedule.
post #19 of 42 Old 12-04-2007
Telstar 28

I basically tell my crew and guests... we can't keep a set schedule, doing so is relatively unreasonable given a boat that is subject to the whims of nature and can be quite dangerous. If they can't stay out the whole time, they can get off before we leave the dock.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #20 of 42 Old 12-04-2007
moderate?

Interesting topic Denise.
One thing to consider is that your friends like you and find you interesting for the things you were before you became a sailor. Since they have no interest in sailing themselves, to them, it is just something you do APART from them.

When we left for full time cruising, one of the biggest (and best) surprises to me was just how many very close friends we made in a short time "out there" ...probably more in 6 years cruising than in 30+ years of business and "neighborhood" living.
Having thousands of other "nuts" out there with similar dreams and similar concerns and needing each others advice and help just makes for a wonderful community. Probably the thing I miss most since becoming a landlubber again. (sailnet is a good proxy!)
Anyway...you just will have to go cruising to find true happiness!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in