The downside of sailboat ownership - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 12-03-2007 Thread Starter
One of None

Talking The downside of sailboat ownership

I've aways loved sailboats, boats, boat building, restoration, etc. Now I finally own a sailboat! Also, now that I have a couple of yrs of sailboat ownership I love it even more! Isn't that wonderful? Of all the things I've tried over my lifetime this hobby doesn't seem to be waining,, it's actually becoming a lifestyle!

The downside; I've come to realize that many if not all friends, family, and associates DON'T share my passion and really aren't interested. NO one EVER thinks to ask or tell me they want to go out on the boat. Well, yes my son loves it, (but he's in love with a young lady now) and I share the passion with other sailors. I'm getting closer to having people want to race on my boat eventually. But from all those that are part of my life for many yrs. it's silence... Sure, a few have gone out on the boat once... then after? nada! zilch, nope no way

Having been reading many posts on here and other forums I know there a many sailors out there that have the same feelings/experiance. I know some of us envy those that have big familes, lots of friends that want to go sailing, cruising, racing, or just being on the boat. But for those that don't.. I say, GO SAIL! You can and will have great times even if you just sit on the boat and chill out with your guitar, keyboard, reading material. Many times i can't wait to turn off the iron genny and radio so I can be more in tune with the water, wind and boat! (check back on me in the spring aftet i do my first solo trip to Chesepeake Bay)

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-03-2007
Ne'er Do Well

It's much worse than you think - your friends and family, after years of speculation, have decided beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're a nut.

Screw 'em, go sailing.

Life is too short to sail ugly boats.

Commodore, OPBYC
post #3 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Sailing is not everyones cup of tea, some folks even have an aversion to the water for various reasons. Even if others do enjoy getting out with you on occasion finding the time to do it more often is a big challenge in todays' hectic pace of life. The biggest impediment for us is the impact of seasons, sailing season being less than six months in a good year makes for limited return on investment in our boat. We just had a weekend of snow and are now putting up with torrential rains, is spring and summer ever going to arrive again? Once I retire I will spend more time out there most likely singlehanding because most folks I know do not share my passion for being on the water.

post #4 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Go to any local yacht club, or racing events and pretty soon you'll have people asking. A lot of other people feel that they shouldn't ask because it'd be too much of a bother or too expensive or annoying for you. Just keep asking people if they want to go out.

But most of important of all. If you want to get someone into sailing, let them sail your boat! Don't let people just be passengers because they are afraid of screwing up or hurting things. People think sailing is boring because they don't ever get a chance to make decisions and see what they can do to affect things on a boat. Explain sail trim and then make your guests do it right! Show them what they are doing is affecting something and most people will get excited. At least that's my two cents.
post #5 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

The upside (besides the boat and the sailing):

You get to meet a group of people who DO share your interest passionately, some who study every aspect of sailing and boating, some who just sorta hang out. Either way, interesting characters doing interesting things with interesting crazy assed stories to tell if you (me) can just shut up an let them tell the story.

I've been sailing all of five years, owned or own four boats, 3 dinghy's and have probably sunk a years pay into boating. I've driven my understanding wife half crazy (and convinced her to put up with it); and gotten myself elected commodore of my local yacht club - mainly cus I volunteer, and most everyone has already been commodore before

and along the way I've met this wonder group of people that share my passions to the point where they get sunburned and / or frozen cheeks right along side me whether I'm on their boat or mine.

I wouldn't change it for anything.
post #6 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

I'm a little shocked at this post topic because I have met very few people who don't enjoy being out on the water.

However some people are uneasy about sailing and I think rennisaint nailed the solution. Some people, even avid boaters (stink potters) feel uneasy on sailboats because they don't understand everything. I have had great success by putting the passengers in the driver's seat, while I run around and teach them all the lines and show them how they affect the ride. One important thing to remember is to NOT YELL AT THEM when they DO screw up. This even applies when racing! Also, I am 21 as well are many of my friends, and we all know how drinking and sailing go hand and hand so.... there never seems to be a shortage of crew.

Last edited by kananumpua; 12-03-2007 at 03:24 PM.
post #7 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
....... The biggest impediment for us is the impact of seasons, sailing season being less than six months in a good year makes for limited return on investment in our boat. We just had a weekend of snow and are now putting up with torrential rains, is spring and summer ever going to arrive again?
Capt... I have to differ with you on the sailing season here... it can easily be full time if you're hardy enough and your boat's up to the conditions. Even you, with your boat on a trailer, can easily rig up and go for an afternoon any time of year.. Yes we do get (rare) snow and (less rare) rain but in between we can get some truly enjoyable weather, with the added bonus of snowcapped mountains in the background.

Getting people to sail with you is a constant battle against other committments they have - minor hockey and other organized sports, two people needing to work with little recreational time to spread around. Often there are people that would love to sail but can't arrange it on short notice (which is how many of our off season daysails come about) and eventually you stop calling and asking them to go.

Then you get lucky, get some regular steady crew together and things really start to go well.
post #8 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Denise,
I have to agree. Most don't have the same passion. Sure they will go out for a nice day sail for three or four hours in a gentle breeze and on a flat lake, but when the wind and waves build, or there is the threat of the possiblity of some rain, they run for cover.
Ask them to stand a midnight watch on a cold spring new moon pitch black no star night, and again they are no where to be found.
Ask them if they want to sleep in a protected bay while at anchor and they will ask you where the closest holiday inn is located.
I can't explain it, I know who you feel, I have the same addiction that you do.
Just yesterday, I asked my wife if she wanted to run by West Marine.
"What do you need from West Marine?" was her reply.
"Nothing," was the only answer I could give. " I just wanna go look."
"Your addicted," she says.
Now remeber, our boat is high and dry and will be for the next five months.
I just wanted to go look at crap that I don't even need.
"There are worse addictions. I could be a crack addict."

Courtney is My Hero

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
post #9 of 42 Old 12-03-2007

Hi,

In my family (wife, and 3 kids ages 13, 10, 6) I'm the only one who is really enthusiastic about sailing. My wife enjoys it if the weather is good. Two of my kids like it, the oldest one does not. My dad and other relatives like sailing, but would never ask me to go. If I ask them, and the conditions are right, they will go.

This means that I day sail with other people sometimes, but, since I like to sail a lot, I single hand a fair amount.
Checking my records, I 'soloed' about 25% of the time, the rest were assorted family and other trips.

If you really want to spend a lot of time on the water, the suggestion to go racing is a good one. I would say that you should try crewing on someone else's boat before you start racing your own. You can go out 2-3 times a week on other boats, then you only need to round up someone 1 other time to get on your boat.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #10 of 42 Old 12-03-2007 Thread Starter
One of None

my experiance is people want to be coddled. Try to teach them anything they balk, others are terrified they will "break" something. then, theres the "too hot, too cold, too windy, too late, too early, what to eat, when do we get back, why did you go so, far people.

I do belong to a yacht club and enjoy the racing but rather race on someone else's boat. I'm slowy getting to the point where my boat is ready to race too. The one real race i was in this summer found my boat dead last at the start, then got my "crew" in sync, actually caught up with the racers! then a jib sheet got fouled and we lost a half hour and finished dead last LOL I really enjoy the club networking but i'm very turned off by the large amount of drinking people do. (not all people)

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 12-03-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in