16 yo kid to circumnavigate - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 05-29-2008 Thread Starter
Midwest Puddle Pirate

16 yo kid to circumnavigate

This is the first I've heard of this. Seems like a good kid, I think dad's a Captain. I hope he makes it.

Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 05-29-2008

Good luck kid...

Hope you pull it together...
post #3 of 54 Old 05-29-2008

Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
When I read stuff like this, I have to ask myself, what the hell is his "Dad" thinking? The kid could easy die doing this, for what purpose, to brag he did it ? Much to young and again, what are the parents thinking.

I have looked at my life as my number one purpose on this earth was my kids. To keep them safe and give them a boot when they needed it, to get back on track. At 16 my son wanted a motorcycle, I said no. He is 20 now, still doesn't have one, but now it is his decision, not mine. I like to think he made it because he listened to WHY I said no.

S/V Scheherazade
-----------------------
I had a dream, I was sailing, I was happy, I was even smiling. Then I looked down and saw that I was on a multi-hull and woke up suddenly in a cold sweat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 54 Old 05-29-2008

Free, while I am agreeing with you on this, I am also seeing other things..

Kids today don't have objectives and have no models...and you know that now, especially in the US, all kids have is broken homes, drugs, rap, gangs and premature pregnancies, loss of interets in human factors, faliure, wars, and crooked politicians to name a few...

So in a way, altough I aslo see this father puting his kid in harms way, I also see a father trying to make a man out of his kid, with the risks it brings...

I agree with you...but we don't know the rest..we also don't know if he is going to be followed by anyone (including his dad), and maybe the dad's makingthe kid stay away from a bad environment...he doesn't look like he is a starnger to gangs and stuff like that..look at his hat..his hair..his t-shirt...he doesn't look like a school boy...he's already dressed as a modern street gang boy...that's just me looking with my foreign eyes....what do I know...

I encourage the kid...at least he has an objective..a rare thing amongst the youth today....especially in the US
post #5 of 54 Old 05-29-2008

Tough call. If my kid were 16 I'd probably tell him to wait a couple of years until he could make a better informed decision. What would you do or say if Fred wanted to do that Alex?
post #6 of 54 Old 05-29-2008
Seņor Member

Giu, I think you may have the wrong impression of Zac Sunderland. He's not a troubled gang member, but a true adventurer who has his parent's full support. It seems that he's been successfully home-schooled by his parents while sailing the world and working with his dad, who is an accomplished ships-wright.

Check out his website. I wish him best of luck in this venture and am impressed by the unorthodox goals he has set for himself at such a young age.

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #7 of 54 Old 05-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Tough call. If my kid were 16 I'd probably tell him to wait a couple of years until he could make a better informed decision. What would you do or say if Fred wanted to do that Alex?
It's tough as I see Fred at the age he is now...

We would off course talk a lot..

This is what I think..there is no future in sailing as a professional in Portugal, and if there is, you need to be really really good, it's not like in the US where you throw a stone and a half dozen of Denis Conners jump out...

The few pro's there hardly make it to eat....so that would weigh in in Fred's decision of becoming a professional...

Fred sails as a Sports, as he is in a vry difficult school to get in, to be an Engineer or Economist or another trade...that will be his professional target..

While he rides the road to be a professional at the trade he choses, sailing will be second plan, and a hobby/sport/fun thing....

As the future comes, we will see where Fred goes with his school and with his sailing...he will do whatever he choses and at whatever he excells.

I don't know this kid, but I see a different sailing in them...Fred races, the kid in the video is a cruiser, cruised all his life with his parents (that's what I understood)...so in there is a difference already...you may make money as a racer..you only spend money as a cruiser....

Now...if my sone was doing this to race yes 100% suppoort from me...to cruise around to be the youngest??? no...Fred has other objectives...

There is charm and style in being able to say he was the youngest...but I hardy think he can make a career out of that..

My son will have a career....sailing or not....
post #8 of 54 Old 05-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Giu, I think you may have the wrong impression of Zac Sunderland. He's not a troubled gang member, but a true adventurer who has his parent's full support. It seems that he's been successfully home-schooled by his parents while sailing the world and working with his dad, who is an accomplished ships-wright.

Check out his website. I wish him best of luck in this venture and am impressed by the unorthodox goals he has set for himself at such a young age.
Sorry about my impression....where I come from we have a saying..."don't want to be called a wolf...don't dress like one" more or less...

Guess I appled my "judge the book by the cover" thing....

Good on him....I still praise and wish him good luck and will support him as I can.
post #9 of 54 Old 05-29-2008
Seņor Member

BTW- the shirt and hat are surfing related.

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #10 of 54 Old 05-29-2008
On the hard

Alex, most of the teens wear hip hop clothes these days in the US, including mine. Hell, I have some hip hop stuff myself cause I kinda like some of it. I forget how old Robin Graham was when he took Dove on a circumnav but it wasn't much older than this youngster. I say goodon him if he makes it. He'll experience things that most younguns can only dream about.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in