SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   CLUELESS people.. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/46421-clueless-people.html)

sailordave 08-26-2008 12:49 AM

CLUELESS people..

So last night the GF and I go out on Chesapeake Bay out of Annapolis in my club C30. It's blowing a solid South at 20+ and the waves are steep chop 4 foot. :eek: We get out on the open Bay and I figure it's just going to be a long slog to wherever so why not sail up the Severn and anchor in Round Bay for the night.;)
Haven't been up there in years and don't really like trying to sail up or back from there. So we turn around and head in... By the time we pass the Academy I have all sail flying and we're doing a steady 4.5 knots. It's about 9:30 or so and there's a fair amount of powerboat traffic but they're all moving pretty slow.
We're about a mile nw of the bridges and this small powerboat passes heading downriver.
As they pass the gal onboard yells over TURN YOUR MAST LIGHT ON! with a real attitude...:confused:

I thought I misheard her so I asked my GF and she said she thought the same.

Now mind you I've got my running lights on, but I am Freaking SAILING, no motor running at all! Are people that clueless? I don't need no stinking masthead light (steaming light) And why is this sort of thing happening more and more? Is it b/c I'm spending more time on the water this year or are people just getting stupider?:rolleyes:

Classic30 08-26-2008 01:20 AM

Yes, they are generally that clueless...

..and it ain't restricted to just your patch of the ocean either. :(

ccam 08-26-2008 01:28 AM

I just shrug, and point at the mast light - with my middle finger:)

Sapperwhite 08-26-2008 06:10 AM

My running light and anchor light are the same fixture. Turn on the forward facing light for running, both for anchor (I hate this system and it will change). Needless to say, i get a lot of "YOUR ANCHOR LIGHT IS ON!!!!". I understand, it is tricky for others. I just smile and wave.

A lot of people open their trap before they think or survey the situation. Some are "better" at this than others. You just happened to encounter a real pro.

chucklesR 08-26-2008 08:31 AM

You should have yelled back the only acceptable response to a woman on a power boat

"show me your ta-ta's"

merlin2375 08-26-2008 09:03 AM

agree, people are getting stupider...something in the fumes from the motor I guess :)

trantor12020 08-26-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 358690)
You should have yelled back the only acceptable response to a woman on a power boat

"show me your ta-ta's"

He's sailing with his GF, so he has to be civil. :eek:

sailingdog 08-26-2008 09:34 AM

Unfortunately, lots of clueless, clue-resistant and clue-proof people out there. :)

c40eb 08-26-2008 09:42 AM

It comes down to basic statistics, and leads to a general intelligence dilution.

It is a given that the world's population is rising. Therefore, generally wherever you go, there are more people. Average intelligence seems to be fairly low...so...more people and low intelligence means more idiots everywhere.

So, in what used to be a fairly open environment, you are now confronted with an increase in people who lack basic sense.

It's not just on the sea, but all over. I live in rural Maine. 20 years ago, it was rare to see, well, people (little exaggeration). Now, seems I am constantly getting stuck in traffic, getting cut off, witnessing bad, poor, idiotic behavior by the clueless...just because there are MORE of them.

The "urbanization of the country"...applies to the water as well.

Solution? Without getting anarchistic, head further north, or buy an island.

sailordave 08-26-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c40eb (Post 358723)
It comes down to basic statistics, and leads to a general intelligence dilution.

It is a given that the world's population is rising. Therefore, generally wherever you go, there are more people. Average intelligence seems to be fairly low...so...more people and low intelligence means more idiots everywhere.

So, in what used to be a fairly open environment, you are now confronted with an increase in people who lack basic sense.

It's not just on the sea, but all over. I live in rural Maine. 20 years ago, it was rare to see, well, people (little exaggeration). Now, seems I am constantly getting stuck in traffic, getting cut off, witnessing bad, poor, idiotic behavior by the clueless...just because there are MORE of them.

The "urbanization of the country"...applies to the water as well.

Solution? Without getting anarchistic, head further north, or buy an island.

I HOPE it's not dilution leading to more "low intelligence" people.. I think it's just MORE PEOPLE so I see more of the idiots in action.

And I hearya about living the rural life. From '93 to 2004 my county more than TRIPLED it's school student population. It's even higher now.

The little town I live closest to went over 3500 in pop. in 2000 which meant they came under a new set of state guidelines. Now they are pushing 7000!:eek:

Rush hour in the AM and PM w/ the school buses is awful. The HS is overcrowded even w/ pulling 9th grade out and sending them to the second middle school and making the old middle school 6/7 grade.

I'm just fortunate that I do MOST of my boating during the week or when a lot of people are heading in on Sunday afternoon. Cuts down on the clueless factor!

Or maybe I'm just OCD, anal and particular about how I do things.:rolleyes:
Yep, that's probably part of it!
Of course I subscribe to the following Vince Lombardi quote...

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."