Big Freakin' Sails - Page 38 - SailNet Community
 548Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #371 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

T!!!!!!!!! A BFS! A BFS! And even a half-hearted compliment! Truly Shock and Awe, dude. BTW - what exactly are you setting up here? I know the other shoe will drop soon. This just isn't like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Jody, I don't want to critical about your video. If I was in the cockpit I would NOT clip onto the stern rail. I would find a center point in the cockpit to clip to. If you are cliped on the rail you can go over the side and be pulled along by the boat. If you have a 12 foot beam and 6 foot tether and cliped on the center line you can't go over either side..

Also your harness should be on the outside of your jacket. 2 reasons 1) the quick release would be at hand. 2) if you do go over the side that jacket is going to be turned inside out over your face before you can release.

Normally I would of - however:

Tether: No center place to tie onto center of the cockpit and being kept with the boat is better than nothing. Will probably put some fittings in later to address that.

Lifevest: They are auto pfds and the the jacket was loose fitting. I had the jacket over the pfd so it would not possibly auto inflate due to the amount of water we taking over the side. It has been known to happen.

It was my judgment call based on the conditions - and was acutely aware of what the hazards would be one way or the other But thanks for pointing it out.

-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #373 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

Back to the Photo-Happen Edict. As so clearly shown here by the likes of Sway and Cam - photos don't really matter anyway. If someone is bent on poo-pooing, they'll just poo-poo - evidence be damned. Just ask Sailhog.

So it seems that what's really required are photos from several angles (both on and off the boat), video (helicopter footage a plus), NOAA charts and reports, a CG swimming angel's eyewitness account and Hallmark card, a repair list with photo evidence of each broken part along with an FMC investigative report, and Photoshopping skils.

If you don't have all of these squared away and at the ready when requested by the Sailnet Jedi Council - don't even bother posting your "BFS" because it's nothing but MDB.

What is this anyway - SA?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-07-2008 at 12:14 PM.

post #374 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Normally I would of - however:

Tether: No center place to tie onto center of the cockpit and being kept with the boat is better than nothing. Will probably put some fittings in later to address that.

Lifevest: They are auto pfds and the the jacket was loose fitting. I had the jacket over the pfd so it would not possibly auto inflate due to the amount of water we taking over the side. It has been known to happen.

It was my judgment call based on the conditions - and was acutely aware of what the hazards would be one way or the other But thanks for pointing it out.
I think that went well.
post #375 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Back to the Photo-Happen Edict. As so clearly shown here by the likes of Sway and Cam - photos don't really matter anyway. If someone is bent on poo-pooing, they'll just poo-poo - evidence be damned. Just ask Sailhog.

So it seems that what's really required are photos from several angles (both on and off the boat), video (helicopter footage a plus), NOAA charts and reports, a CG swimming angel's eyewitness account and Hallmark card, a repair list with photo evidence of each broken part along with an FMC investigative report, and Photoshopping skils.

If you don't have all of these squared away and at the ready when requested by the Sailnet Council - don't even bother posting your "BFS" because it's nothing but MDB.

What is this anyway - SA?
Nooooo, even fish stories make good listening sometimes.
post #376 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Pretty incredible photo from Sydney Hobart. Iíve seen foam streaks develop when the wind is blowing in the high thirties but the significant wave had me confused. It all makes sense now. One of the significant disappoints in life for me was the day I got an accurate anemometer. The winds in S.F. Bay all immediately decreased by at least 10 knots. Now this is all before global warning mind you (hey perhaps my boat is the cause of it? I used to believe the wind reports too, that was until I found out that the weather station for the Bay was atop Mount Livermore on Angel Island. Again significantly higher (and faster) winds than the ones I experienced at sea level.

Smith Island's weather tower is about 50' off the water.

Big question for all of you. When you are quoting wind speed, are you using apparent or true? Giuís numbers for reefing didnít make sense to me until I converted to True, and then they were about what I experienced when I raced the Areodyne. For what itís worth, I use true wind speed, so you apparent wind guys need to add boat speed to my numbers. There is an equation for calculating wind pressure that is something like as the wind speed doubles, the increase in force is squared. The progression is geometric, not linear. So the increase in force from 20 to 25 knots is the rough equivalent of the difference between 1 and 15 knots of wind speed. That is why it is so difficult for most of us to gauge the wind speed without an instrument. All I know that 20 -25 (26-31 apparent) knots is normally a lot of wind. But the days Iíve been out in winds in the thirties and then returned to the bay where it was blowing in the mere twenties, it felt positively calm.

O.K., you studs that only go out in gale warnings Ė fess up, what kind of gear do you break. The repair bill for Fast Forwardís broach was $11 grand (30knots true). I have also blown out a main when it was only blowing in the thirties. Usually when things go non-linear, the last thing you break out is a camera so I have precious few photos of Freya in a blow. So after seeing CCís photo, how fast is the wind here? (Hint: the wind was southerly for the Bay (about 253 degrees and blowing strait from the City so assume ten miles of fetch.)

I blew out a 150% Genny in a 25 knot sail but considering the sail had seen much higher winds on earlier sails, the damage was already done by then. No other damage except the occasional block or other minor stuff. She's a tough old girl.

[
See the above in your post.
post #377 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
I do like the sea stories everyone is laying out there in this thread (thanks smacky) but, when I hear of joy rides in 30 kts of wind on a boat with wood spars and old sails and no reports of damage it kinda makes ya go, Hmmmmm.
Ya ever get out here between Oct and May, ya need to come sailing with me. What's wood spars gotta do with it? Ships had wood sticks long before aluminum was thought of and weathered many a storm at sea. If the riggings good, the wind won't break the mast (at least not what we see around here) but a breaking wave surely will. Old sails? See the above.
post #378 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Nooooo, even fish stories make good listening sometimes.
You can actually hear this stuff? You're starting to sound like Jody.
post #379 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Ya ever get out here between Oct and May, ya need to come sailing with me. What's wood spars gotta do with it? Ships had wood sticks long before aluminum was thought of and weathered many a storm at sea. If the riggings good, the wind won't break the mast (at least not what we see around here) but a breaking wave surely will. Old sails? See the above.
...and when they broke, they could go ashore and cut down a new one! There is a reason new boats don't come wth wood spars. Same reason Al is slowly being replaced, and Al doesn't have half the issues of wood.
post #380 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You can actually hear this stuff? You're starting to sound like Jody.
Nice big lake salmon, you just gotta put your ear real close.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in