Big Freakin' Sails - Page 39 - SailNet Community
 548Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
O.K., you studs that only go out in gale warnings – fess up, what kind of gear do you break. The repair bill for Fast Forward’s broach was $11 grand (30knots true). I have also blown out a main when it was only blowing in the thirties. Usually when things go non-linear, the last thing you break out is a camera so I have precious few photos of Freya in a blow. So after seeing CC’s photo, how fast is the wind here? (Hint: the wind was southerly for the Bay (about 253 degrees and blowing strait from the City so assume ten miles of fetch.)
Excellent post..my point exactly....here is what happens when an accidental gybe happens in winds above 25 knots (true), you just can't stop it or be fast enough..lack attention once..you're dead.....granted it was weaker than expected, and got a new one for free from manufacturer...nevertheless $ $$.$$$,$$ new..plus a new main traveller block as the original disappeared..

my point is..my gear, winches, blocks shrouds etc..is all calculated with at least 50% SWL margin..not one item (except a screwed up Lewmar shackle) has failed so far..true I am carefull with the gear..it can't handle for long the aggressivness of sailing over 40 TRUE (for you George)....it's scary...and my boat is built tough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

Holy crap, Giu! That's insane. Just curious - what's the boom material? And what did they change to stiffen it? For me - I certainly don't mind throwing away my life, but definitely don't want to waste my money.
post #383 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008

Carbon Fiber

Courtney is My Hero

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

post #384 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

Giu's evidence as rated on the BFS Scale:

post #385 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
...and when they broke, they could go ashore and cut down a new one! There is a reason new boats don't come wth wood spars. Same reason Al is slowly being replaced, and Al doesn't have half the issues of wood.
'Tis true, a little harder to fashion a wood spar these days. My mainmast is 47 years old and has no issues other than needing the varnish stripped, bleached and redone.
post #386 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
On the hard

George, I missed the question about wind speed during my photo. It was blowing 28 true and was about 34 apparent from the West along with leftover swells from the Strait so wave heights against the ebb were from 8-12'. We had the 150 furled to about 110 and a single reef in the Main while beating. Here's another pic or three:

We ended up blowing the 150 to shreds later that evening.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 10-07-2008 at 01:27 PM.
post #387 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Nice photos, Charlie. Good to see everyone is having fun!
post #388 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
On the hard

Except for the Grandson in the house getting seasick. He got better once we punched through this and around the corner at Cattle Pass and were able to dress ship a bit. It was a nice spin run to Friday Harbor after that when the wind went Southwesterly on flat water. All in all, a fun but pricey day.
post #389 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
Thanks Courtney.

Charlie- For the love of God, would you get that guy (your son?) a decent pfd! He looks like a Titanic survivor in that orange thing.
post #390 of 3327 Old 10-07-2008
On the hard

Son in Law. At the time it wouldn't have hurt my feelings for him to take a swim but he's straightened out a bit since then. I'm planning on outfitting the boat with more decent PFD's.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in