I'm getting my shot - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 10-17-2008 Thread Starter
not-so-old salt

I'm getting my shot

Everyone has to be given (and earn) a shot at an offshore trip. I finally got mine and I'm looking to the members here to offer suggestions.

I've been invited to crew on a boat delivery from Stamford, CT to Key West, FL. Depart the second week of November. 1300 miles. 10-14 days at sea and we're not doing the ditch. We do not plan to stop and will sail the west side of the gulf stream until we're forced to cross.

We'll be in a Beneteau 423. 4 crew. 2 weeks at sea, we expect to hit some weather and I've got some good boots and gill foulies.

I have a comprehensive gear/clothing list, following all the basic rules. Use layers - no cotton, etc, etc. We're allowed one shower for the entire trip, so I'm bringing some wipes to keep clean. Otherwise I'm packing general things like a camera, ipod, knife and sleeping bag.

Questions I have:
What are some non-obvious gear choices I may not have considered?
What tips can you provide for a first-timer?
What's the weather like that time of the year (on the northern part).

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------
"The God I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister." - Bono
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-17-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

Tony,
I cannot give you answers, but I wanted to chime in and say congratulations. You've got me very jealous now. Did you get the opportunity from one of the websites or personal connection?
Fair Winds and we'll be looking forward to a trip report.
Michael

S/V Anything Goes
1987 Pearson 31-2
Hull #15
post #3 of 43 Old 10-17-2008 Thread Starter
not-so-old salt

Thanks Michael.

It was a personal connection - a local sailor here in Austin that is moving his boat to the Galveston area. I'm on the first leg. It's a near perfect situation to pop my cherry because I know the skipper and he has done several crossings. He's also sparing no expense on outfitting the boat for the journey and the boat is a few years old, so all the kinks have hopefully been worked out. I've also raced with one of the other crew members on out of town races so we get along well.

I count myself lucky! I'm blessed to have a wife AND boss that understands, supports, and shares my addiction.

post #4 of 43 Old 10-17-2008 Thread Starter
not-so-old salt

Michael...almost forgot

GO MIZZOU!

post #5 of 43 Old 10-17-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybinTX View Post
Michael...almost forgot

GO MIZZOU!
Bite Me

Careful, I know people that can have you permanently banned from Austin for that.

S/V Anything Goes
1987 Pearson 31-2
Hull #15
post #6 of 43 Old 10-17-2008

You know of all the years that I have sailed, including the North Atlantic and the Bering Sea. I have worn cotton dungrees, Jeans and sweats. Along with cotton socks. It is only in the last few years have I noticed a bias toward cotton. I do have the appropriate woolen gear also. But then again I have become endured to the cold and wet climes when in those regions and layered up warmly.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
post #7 of 43 Old 10-17-2008 Thread Starter
not-so-old salt

Boasun - I tend to agree about cotton. If I stay dry, I'm usually fine.

My problem is that my thermostat runs hot so I tend to sweat more than most. I've a lot of experience with synthetic/wool blends from my mountaineering days in Colorado where there was a lot of activity to get the blood pumping. Sailing, at least in this case, seems to involve much less activity.

post #8 of 43 Old 10-17-2008

Its COLD to the point that you need to be aware of slowly getting hypothermia if you run into enough weather in the begining

I have had it happen in spring races real slow over a 24 hour peroid

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #9 of 43 Old 10-17-2008

Quote:
Questions I have:

What tips can you provide for a first-timer?
What's the weather like that time of the year (on the northern part).
Gear? Get yourself a good head-light to use at night. There'll be times when you're looking for something or doing something in a place were there is no light. Inexpensive and invaluable. Also a good sailing knife if you haven't one already.

Tips? Try to sleep whenever you get an opportunity. Don't let the excitement of the voyage keep you on deck. When you need to be on deck to do important stuff, you don't want to be knackered.

Weather? Sorry, no idea of that region, can't help

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 10-17-2008 at 04:13 PM.
post #10 of 43 Old 10-17-2008

Quote:
...We're allowed one shower for the entire trip, so I'm bringing some wipes to keep clean. ...

Questions I have:
Nose plugs?

Just kidding. As for those wipes, you probably are familiar with the over-sized ones sold at camping/outfitting stores? Two or three can give your face and pits a good wipe-down. Three or four covers the whole body. Otherwise, bring lots of deoderant!

Re the headlamp previously suggested: Very good idea. I would just add that the kind with the flip down red filter can save your night vision when working on deck, etc.

Don't forget a stack of good reading material.

Have fun!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in