SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Bavaria 47 abandoned off Bermuda. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/49001-bavaria-47-abandoned-off-bermuda.html)

CharlieCobra 11-17-2008 12:15 PM

Bavaria 47 abandoned off Bermuda.

Taken from a post on SA:

Sunday 16th November 12:38 pm Bermuda Maritime Operations Centre received a call from the U.S. Coast Guard Atlantic Area Command Centre advising the 48 foot S/V PANACHE was in distress and requesting evacuation of the crew. The PANACHE was about 180 miles west-northwest of Bermuda and suffered mechanical rigging problems encountering severe weather conditions with 5 persons onboard, including a 4 year old child. The U.S. Coast Guard elected to evacuate the crew using a Helicopter which completed the winch operation at 5:50 pm and landed safely at Bermuda at 7:00 pm. The crew of PANACHE required no hospital treatment and were resting after their evacuation and safe arrival at Bermuda.

This boat had been actively looking for crew on another cruising forum.

camaraderie 11-17-2008 12:41 PM

And...from the USCG:
PORTSMOUTH, Va. - A Coast Guard helicopter crew hoisted four adults and one 4-year-old girl to safety Sunday afternoon 175 nautical miles west-northwest of Bermuda after their sailboat became disabled.
The sailors aboard the 47-foot sailboat, Panache, lost steering and propulsion while transiting to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, from Annapolis, Md., and contacted the Coast Guard via satallite phone requesting assistance. An HC-130J Hercules aircraft crew from Elizabeth City, N.C., marked the position of the sailboat and vectored the Elizabeth City MH-60J Jayhawk helicopter in. After being hoisted to safety the five people were taken to Bermuda.
During the hoist, the winds were more than 30 knots and the seas were 15 feet.
The Jayhawk crew was able to complete the rescue with the assistance of watchstanders at the Rescue Coordination Center in Portsmouth, the Hercules aircraft crew providing on scene communications, and the Coast Guard Cutter Legare who will provide fuel for the helicopter to return Monday afternoon.

CharlieCobra 11-17-2008 12:59 PM

Lost propulsion? It seems they would have plenty of propulsion at 30 knots of breeze. Steering, that might be a problem...

RAGTIMEDON 11-17-2008 01:02 PM

Tragic end to a beautiful boat--- Check the maintenance log for your rigging and steering cables!

bubb2 11-17-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra (Post 403276)
Lost propulsion? It seems they would have plenty of propulsion at 30 knots of breeze. Steering, that might be a problem...

When we get the reports, They are not written by sailors.

A 4 year kid on board, I would have made the call also!

Wel done!! CG

GeorgeB 11-17-2008 02:10 PM

Equally as important is if you have a cable type rudder stop that it is adjusted to be shorter than full rudder play as that cable will stretch when there is a lot of force put on the rudder. Better still, convert your cable to a mechanical type stop altogether.

chucklesR 11-17-2008 03:38 PM

Even catamaran sailors know you need to plan and have a backup method of steering the boat (like using the sails, even).

sailingdog 11-17-2008 03:41 PM

Anyone looking for a slightly used Bavaria 47???

tomaz_423 11-17-2008 04:20 PM

Congratulations Dog. You found it already.
I will buy a fast multi hull as well.
How about you keep the Bavaria and sell me the Telstar?

T34C 11-17-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomaz_423 (Post 403433)
Congratulations Dog. You found it already.
I will buy a fast multi hull as well.
How about you keep the Bavaria and sell me the Telstar?

Sorry, I heard CD- had already asked for it. He needed a new dock.:D