Uuuuoooo - Help with the SSB receiver - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2009 Thread Starter

Uuuuoooo - Help with the SSB receiver

Hello!!!

ʹve just bought a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR, but I cannot receive any under SSB.
What antenna can I put to hear something?

Thanks

Paola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2009

don't these have an internal antenna? And presuming they do, if you can receive signals on AM/FM and the shortwave bands, it will receive SSB signals equally unless there is a problem with the product detector.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-14-2009 Thread Starter

Yes, It has an internal antenna. But Sony recomends to install the Sony AN-LP1 ANLP1 Active Antenna. So. I wonder if it is a good one or I should put another

Paola

post #4 of 8 Old 06-14-2009

What frequency are you trying to receive?

I would imagine that the wavelength is far to long to use an internal antennae. To calculate the wavelength, divide the frequency in megahertz into 300 (the speed of radio propagation is 300 million meters/sec). The answer will be in meters and your antennae should be electrically about 1/4 of that wavelength. Electrical length may or may not be the actual length of the antennae.

For example, it I wanted to receive something in the range of 15 megahertz, I would be dealing with a 20 meter wavelength, so I would want an antennae that is 5 meters long. That's a pretty long antennae, so the manufacturer would make it appear electrically longer by adding a coil to an antennae that is somewhat shorter than 5 meters.

That's why they are recommending an external antennae. By the time they electrically extend a small piece of internal antennae to be 5 meters, they have destroyed its sensitivity.

PS.....Look into using your back stay; that's long enough.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolaa View Post
Yes, It has an internal antenna. But Sony recomends to install the Sony AN-LP1 ANLP1 Active Antenna. So. I wonder if it is a good one or I should put another

Paola
There is nothing magical about an antenna for receiving signals. The antenna must be of a resonant length only for transmitting (or alternatively use a matching network) but to receive, anything of reasonable length will ordinarily suffice - the longer, the better; the higher, the better. The device you describe is some sort of amplified antenna not dissimilar to those sold for television antennas but again, ordinarily, it isn't worth the cost (in my opinion) unless you are into weak signal shortwave listening.
Having said that, the old adage still applies - "it can't hurt"
post #6 of 8 Old 06-14-2009 Thread Starter

Thanks for everything
And now a silly question. I am not from here, I am from Spain and I am a little confuse about the UTC here in Miami.
Could you tell me about that and tell me when do you change the time?

Thanks again

Paola
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2009
moderate?

utc is the time in Greenwich England...London Time. I think that is the SAME tome zone for Spain.

You do need an external antenna. Like one of these:
Kaito KA33 Active Loop Antenna KA-33

Sangean ANT-60

Check my earlier post here for a bit of additional help and good luck!
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...tml#post411287

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2009
Hunter 33.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolaa View Post
Thanks for everything
And now a silly question. I am not from here, I am from Spain and I am a little confuse about the UTC here in Miami.
Could you tell me about that and tell me when do you change the time?

Thanks again

Paola
UTC Should be Eastern Time Zone with Daylight Savings -4 UTC

It is best to match your receiving antenna, or trim it. Do a search. Also search long wire antenna which is what PP is referring to.

I use a screw drive antenna on my boat which was originally designed to be used as a mobile antenna on a vehicle. I transmit on several bands. Using your backstay entails installing insulators at certain points to get the correct length see the PP. Most backstay antennas are used for transmitting and will require an antenna tuner, not really necessary for receiving. SSB radios are an entire world in themselves.

Jim N5TJZ

S/V Haven't named yet.

Last edited by NolaSafari; 06-14-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in