VHF radio - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2009 Thread Starter

VHF radio

Just put my Precision 165 into the water and am in the process of acquiring the supplies I need for her, but I am unsure about the item in the topic. I will be only sailing her on an inland lake outside Dallas TX (Ray Hubbard if anyone is familiar with it) and was wondering whether or not it would be wise to get one of those handheld VHF radios from Overtons or West Marine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2009
Courtney the Dancer

I don't know your area but you could call the nearest CG office and ask if you will be monitored on VHF by them. If you are then I would recommend getting a radio; that will give you instantaneous contact to the CG in an emergency. A fixed radio with a masthead antenna will give you a much bigger range than any handheld, but it's a much bigger job to install it. If your area is not monitored get the CG's phone number and program it into your cell phone for emergencies.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2009
An Aussie Sailor

There is always the argument that if your particular emergency was the mast falling down then your masthead antennae might not be so good.
A compromise is mounting a quality antennae on the pushpit rail.

For best radio reception you cannot go past getting the antennae up as high as possible.

Had I the budget (which I don't) I'd own both a ship installed and and quality hand held unit. A handheld you could carry with you in the water if that's where you ended up.

Mychael

post #4 of 4 Old 06-14-2009

Like Mipcar has suggested a handheld and a ship installed would be the best way. I have both and regularly get 30-40NM range from the mast installed unit, and recently had clear communication with another vessel 80NM away. In comparison the handheld is almost a toy, I doubt if I would get a range of much more than 5NM (it is an ICOM IC-M33). Not sure how big your lake is, however if it was much bigger than 5NM a handheld will only reach other boats around you.

Another options is your cell phone. I am in the process of getting a phone with an external aerial. A friend recently had good (20NM) reception from using this option, however it's hard calling up the boat next door, unless you know their number.

Ilenart

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in