Anchor retrieval buoy - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-17-2009 Thread Starter
Crealock 37

Dock
Anchor retrieval buoy

I don't have a windlass. Hand over hand for a 35lb Bruce and 30 feet of chain is a bit of a workout.

Any thoughts on the anchor retrieval floats? Pros/cons?

One downside I can see is the room needed to overrun the anchor and pull it to the surface -- a tight cove may not offer the room.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2009
Telstar 28

Why not get a chain pawl. It would allow you to deal with the 30' of chain and take the anchor's weight when you rest.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

An anchor buoy will only cause grief. In the Bahamas it's a no no. Too many folks running around in dinks in the dark. Also in tidal waters it's not unusual to find the bouy line wrapped around your prop in the morning. The only place I might consider using one would be in certain sections of the ICW where you're anchoring in a stretch that once was forest and has a lot of stumps on the bottom. Also in crowded anchorages the boat ahead of you will many times be sitting right over your anchor.

As for hauling your hook by hand you can wrap the chain around a cleat or use a chain hook on a short line to hold it while you catch your breath.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2009
Seinor Member

Smile Sumthin musta got lost in the translation EH?

The anchor retrieval ball will work great!!! Anywhere even in the Bahamas. I used to do it all the time. I finally got a windless so I don't use it as much.

Here is a link to one Anchor Retrieval System.

You can make your own, isn't much to it. What is amazing is how well it works. I had never heard of it until I ran into a commercial fisherman that uses it. I thought he was crazy. Soooo When nobody was around I tried it. Holy Mackerel Andy worked like a charm.

Fair Winds
Dave
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2009
Anchorsmith

Arrow Buoyed retrieval lines

If you think you need the ring system, why not just use a dedicated retrieval line? It is going to be much more reliable and has other benefits.

Marking where your anchor is can be beneficial in some anchorages, for other boaters who assume that a 1.5 : 1 scope is normal. Use a cheap but tough and brightly colored buoy; if folk want to run it over cos they can't see where they're going that's their issue. It also pays to mark it "not a mooring" or something similar, for certain other folk...

Pictures and more info:
www.rocna.com/kb/Buoyed_retrieval_line

Craig Smith

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Craig Smith; 06-17-2009 at 11:12 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2009
the pointy end is the bow

Could you use your main halyard winch to retrieve the portion of rode made up of line?

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2009 Thread Starter
Crealock 37

Dock
Main halyard winch is on the cabin top but I have a couple big Genny winches that could be used.

One problem I have at present is the lack of a good anchor roller. The factory roller is a tiny little extension of the toe-rail and the roller itself has literally fallen apart and so far I've not been able to find a replacement roller (I need a narrow one - about 1 3/4").

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

post #8 of 8 Old 07-02-2009

Fair Lead

Set a snatch block midship on port side as a fair lead - trail the anchor line to the main (same side) and have your partner tail the line into the anchor locker back up at the bow. A bit slow but it'll get the job done.

Dave

[/SIGPIC]Dave
Sailing out of Seward, Alaska

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in