Another Sea tale that is Highly probable. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 06-28-2009 Thread Starter

Another Sea tale that is Highly probable.

While sailing far offshore I came across a flotilla of Naval ships. They were lost due to a EMP (electro magnetic pluse) that wipe out their electronics including those chart plotters... Even their gyro and fluxgate compasses were down.
Using flashing light they were able to communicate their problems to me. Several Naval ships and not one sextant between them. Thus they were lost.

So using my trusty C Plath Sextant, I plotted a position for them and then led them back to port with my old fashion magnetic compass and giving them a position fix every hour as we progress toward their port of call.

After the ships were all moored, the Admiral sent all of the ships navigators over to my boat and for the next few weeks I taught them the old fashion way of navigating. The Navy acquired sextants and pubs for all of their ships and Electronic navigation was looked on with a lack of trusting suspiction.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 06-28-2009
ancient mariner

were they U.S. Navy ships? i find it hard to believe even the gyro & mag compasses were completely down! no sun or stars to get some idea of where they were heading?

Liberals are people who care about others. Freethinkers are not constrained by the myths of religion.
post #3 of 58 Old 06-28-2009 Thread Starter

The Dumb Politicans had thought they would have big savings by not buying or maintaining the magnetic compasses... And Gyro compasses are subject to EMPs

Note: Sea tales are another form of tales that may start with "once upon a time" or "this is no sh*t".
Note2: With the rush to all electronic & computerized bridges, some people would do away with the magnetic compasses. So my sea tale is probable.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

post #4 of 58 Old 06-28-2009

What would an EMP to to a handheld GPS which was not activated and stowed?
post #5 of 58 Old 06-28-2009 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
What would an EMP to to a handheld GPS which was not activated and stowed?
Do you have it stowed in a Faraday Cage??
If not it will make a good paper weight.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
post #6 of 58 Old 06-28-2009
moderate?

You forgot to add..."Unfortunately, the radiation cloud soon covered us and nuclear winter set in and the seas froze and we walked home."

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #7 of 58 Old 06-28-2009
SouthernComfort

I saw a show on the history channel about Harrison's Timekeeper and it showed navigators on modern US navy ships using sextants as a back up. They still carry timekeepers too.
post #8 of 58 Old 06-28-2009

Why were the gyrocompasses affected? To my understanding, they don't rely on electronics.

Also, when/where was this? What was the source of the EMP? Are we doing offshore nuclear testing now?

s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
post #9 of 58 Old 06-28-2009

Adam, You know it's only supposition right?
post #10 of 58 Old 06-28-2009

Dock
There was a movie like this a few years back. One of the big carriers ran into an electromagnetic storm off Hawaii that caused it to travel back in time to December 7, 1941. Ridiculous premise, fun movie watching the F-15s fly past the Zeros.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in