Clogged waste line? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-05-2009 Thread Starter

Clogged waste line?

Hey folks, new member here seeking some advice on how to un-clog my marine head. I have an 86 Oday 31. It has a year or two old Jabsco marine head. New hoses, macerator, and y valve. I can pump water into the bowl, but it doesnt want to push it into the holding tank. When I have have the switch in the "pump dry" position, I can pump the piston a stroke or two until the pressure builds up, but thats it. I had a great time last evening taking apart the pump. The top valve gasket is fine, the base valve gasket (flapper) is clear and the joker valve (who named that!?) is ok. This leads me to believe the discharge line is clogged up somewhere. I have a Y valve to go discharge overboard or into the holding tank. Of course its set to go to the holding tank. I switched it to discharge overboard and gave it a try. Still no luck, which I believe tells me the clog is before the Y valve. The holding tank vent line is not clogged. I pumped out the holding tank and you can hear the valve sucking in air. I tried plugging the vent thinking I could use the pumpout pump to create a vacuum in the holding tank and suck the clog through, but that didn't work.

So basically, how to I unclog the discharge line? Or what do you think is going on? Is it just a matter or getting a snake down there or is there some sort of marine alternative? I suppose I could replace the hose, but its new and there is quite a bit of it. It runs from the bowl on the starboard side under the sole through the bilge to the port side where it runs up the hull to a vented loop and down to the Y valve. There is a heater/ac in the way of the vented loop bit, which makes replacing the line seem like a project.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

-Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-05-2009
moderate?

You have diagnosed the issue correctly and my educated guess is that the clog is right AT the input to the y valve. You need to disconnect the hose at the Y valve and clear the clog. If the blockage is not at the Y valve...that still gives you access to the full legth of the hose in both dirctions for a snake.

A warning...this is a DIRTY job and the contents of the hose to the Y valve may be under pressure due to your pumping to resistance!! Get the picture?? Ask me how I know!!
Dress well and have a bucket handy ..... good luck!

Note that the OTHER possibility is a THOROUGHLY clogged hose due to scale but I have discounted this based on the age you have quoted and the assumption that this is not a live-aboard vessel.
If you have that level of scale build up...get 10% muriatic acid at the Home Depot and vent well in the head compartment and pour a couple of cups into the bowl. Let it bubble away till it stops then pump the bowl till it is just dry. Let it sit 10 minutes or so...then pump a bit more water into the bowl and repeat until you are able to pump clearly with no back pressure. Heavy scaling and total blockage may prevent you from doing this treatment. You can also try it bit by bit by removing the hose from the head and draining any existing "contents" the pouring in the acid/water mix and letting it work...repeat...repeat....repeat. Last resort is remove the entire hose and beat it on the docks. which is truly a last resort. Don't forget that the antiiphon valve is probably closed too if there is heavy scale and will need to be cleaned.
Anyway...my guess is that scale is not the issue...but it WILL be for someone who reads this!!

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!

Last edited by camaraderie; 08-05-2009 at 01:32 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-05-2009
the pointy end is the bow

After hearing all the horror stories of clogged heads, we finally generated our own. Our symptoms were exactly as you described. After pulling the hose off at the elbow, we found that the 1.5" diameter waste line had an inside diameter of about 3/4 of an inch from all the scale build up inside the hose. The previous owner had been liveaboard for 13 years. I don't know how long it had been since the lines had been replaced last.

The immediate fix was to remove the line and beat the chit out of it on the dock to break up the scale. We replaced all the lines a couple weeks later. Welcome to boat ownership. After fixing this problem and going aground, you're an official member.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-05-2009 Thread Starter

Well I already touched bottom (soft muck) so I have that covered. I may not get the chance to fix this though. My wife is encouraging me to take it to the marina. This irks me two ways. 1. I'm uh, thrifty, and 2. I like to do things myself. Racing tonight. I may give it a go tommorow with a snake from the y valve.

Thanks for the prompt replys!
post #5 of 23 Old 08-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesprings View Post
Well I already touched bottom (soft muck) so I have that covered. I may not get the chance to fix this though. My wife is encouraging me to take it to the marina. This irks me two ways. 1. I'm uh, thrifty, and 2. I like to do things myself. Racing tonight. I may give it a go tommorow with a snake from the y valve.

Thanks for the prompt replys!
DIY Is the way to go... Because if you are offshore and the head clogs up, your better half will want, either to have it fixed imediately (you're a hero) or return to shore and have someone else fix it at big big bucks.
A Coastal or Offshore sailor learns quickly on how to repare just about everything on the boat.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
post #6 of 23 Old 08-05-2009

Hey cam,

I just got to ask. ...how do you know?. ....lololol.....i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

post #7 of 23 Old 08-05-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

I would not use a snake to clear a plug in the hose. Usually a snake just dislodges all the scale as it moves along and then you've really got a plug!! The best way to fix this is to remove the hose, there are no short cuts. After removing the host you can try a snake. My hose is about ten feet long so I remove it and lash it to the lifelines with both ends up. Fill it with vinegar or a weak solution of muriatic acid and leave overnight. The next day most of the scale will be loose. Flush by dipping it off the swim platform and bashing the hose. (these instructions are for those that don't live in marinas). If you've got a pole spear they're very handy for freeing up what's plugging the hose. Of course all these techniques require removing the hose first.

If you want a short cut that might work, take the hose off the head, stick a hose nozzle in it wrapped in a j-cloth to prevent the water squirting out, turn on the hose and try to blow it through. Be ready to stop very quickly if the pressure builds up without clearing the obstruction. Do this in your underwear. You'll soon find out why.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

post #8 of 23 Old 08-05-2009

I actually had this problem myself when a new girlfriend used the head. I bought one of those balloon type fittings for the hose, and turned on the faucet. Maybe you could wear a dive suit? Booties, gloves, head cover, and all. Oh, and don't forget the goggles.....i2f

post #9 of 23 Old 08-05-2009 Thread Starter

Brandy new hose here and no visible buildup of anything for about three feet into the dishcarge hose from the toilet end. Im pretty damn sure its toilet paper or maybe even a wet-one. Havent been using marine tp (although the owners manual says to use "good quality household toilet paper") and I dont think I advised anyone to go light on the tp.

Is there any other reason why I cant search around with the snake to get the mouse? I wont be inserting the snake through any valves or anything like that.

Last edited by inthesprings; 08-05-2009 at 04:27 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-05-2009

If it's all hose you can shove the snake up in there. I think the little balloon was under $10, and quite effective........i2f

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in