Looking for a liveaboard slip between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-28-2009 Thread Starter

Looking for a liveaboard slip between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale

Hello, we have a son attending the University of Miami and are seriously looking for a liveaboard slip to rent. We are considering buying a 47 ft. Kencraft River Houseboat but unless we can find a viable slip we won't be able to do this.

We are currenctly expatriates working for the US government in Amman, Jordan and would like to have a base in Florida. We have lived aboard on a sailboat at the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor in Honolulu and are currently on their waiting list for another slip.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me. My husband will be in Miami in early May and I hope to be able to give him a list of place to look. By the way it was fun reading the different posting. Really made me homesick for the liveaboard lifestyle. Mahalo, Shukran and Thank You, Hawaiianliveaboard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-28-2009
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Given the state of the Florida Gold Coast real estate market right now...The odds are you could buy a "move in" condo for $40-45k and not have to worry about where you are going to move the houseboat during hurricane season--which is a serious concern for boaters in Florida. And, if your son has a couple of years left to go? Odds are very good that condo should come back up in value within five years, and net a small but real profit for you.

Unless you're really set on living on the water...
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2009

You won't find a condo with access to a dock for ten times that price in Ft. Lauderdale, even in this economy. Since you can get the houseboat under the bridge clearance at the I-95 bridge, you'll be able to find the best rates for a liveaboard slip in Fort Lauderdale at the Marina Bay Resort Marina. I'm sure you can "google" that for contact information and pricing. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2009
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

No one said a condo with access to a dock. I'm suggesting that since a houseboat is just a floating house, why not cut out the floating part and just get the house (or apartment) and save a lot of money in the process?

It isn't as if MOST houseboats EVER move, except from one long-term slip to another. Certainly not on Florida's Gold Coast, where the only place to cruise is up and down the ICW or the drainage canals.

Houseboat, slip, maintenance...all expenses. Florida real estate of any kind? Including condos? Is at record lows, which makes it a prime investment, when the purpose is to live someplace--not to go boating.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-29-2009 Thread Starter

Looking fora liveaboard slip between Miami & Ft. Lauderdale

Thank you for both responses. I first thought of a liveaboard as we've done it in the past and are now planning on retiring to a boat in Hawaii. The condo is a good idea and one that might fit our son when he's a Junior and may want to live off campus. We own a house in Santa Fe, NM and upkeep on a house even if it rented plus taxes and house insurance is not small change either.

My husband will be in Coral Gables in May and will check out Marina Bay Resort Marina and also condos near the University of Miami. I have to admit I just love the liveaboard community. But a condo may make more sense. Thanks to you both - Hawaiianliveaboard
post #6 of 7 Old 12-29-2009
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

While he's running the numbers...I'm not sure about Miami-Dade County but in Broward (FLL) and some others, if you file for "homesteading" status on a residence, i.e. making it your primary residence, the tax bill is reduced substantially. As it also is for a condo versus a larger property lot with a home on it. That may not be possible for you--but then again, depending on where you go in Miami the housing can vary from "burnt out" to "two million dollar knock-downs". (Heck, I think Donald Trump's old place up the ICW was slated to be a $40 million dollar knock-down!)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-31-2009 Thread Starter

hawaiianliveaboard

Hellosailor, thank you for taking the time to post this advice. It's another piece of information we can follow up on. Happy New Year.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in