Sailnet for Newbies Page - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 Old 02-02-2010
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaOrion View Post
I guess the one poster here said it best, when he said each of us has our own details, and questions that are specified to our own situation....

M.
This is what I've been thinking. There is no "one size fits all" for everyone, newbie or experienced sailor.
I have been sailing since my teens on different sized boats but I still learn a lot from posts on the many topics I do not consider myself an 'expert' in which includes a lot of areas.
We all come from diverse backgrounds; some are engineers, electricians, construction trades, lawyers, doctors, lawyers, nurses, members of the armed forces, commercial pilots and marine professionals to name only a few. You can't know what someone asking a question already knows unless they have participated in the back and forth of Q & A that happens here and on some other forums.
Telling an auto mechanic how to use a ratchet wrench set or a dentist how to use a Dremel in a post could be interpreted by them as condescending. Telling folks to 'check the archives' is equally insensitive, even if the same or similar question was asked last week or yesterday. Posting a link to a related thread or question is less offensive.
Netiquette.
Cal28 likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 07-30-2011

Do you want to HELP beginners develop their interest in sailing? (I know it is an old thread, but worth reviewing.)

It is not easy for an interested beginner to gain knowledge about sailing. I myself have always been interested in sailboat, got a chance to sail a little in the early '80s. Although I wanted to get more involved, all I could find were the mega-yacht or racing magazines. As a father of young children, I thought sailing was way out of my budget...

Fast forward a few decades and a chance to go sailing again (in a classic Moth). The internet provided a resource for finding more information. EBay and Craig's List showed that decent sailboats could be found for reasonable prices.

My wife and I have owned and sailed: a Hobie 14 (trampolines are not comfortable for leisurely sails - no facilities), O'Day 19 (great trailer sailor for several years but wanted to go out into the "big" water), Capri 22 (actively day sailing from a slip, started "beer can" racing for skill improvement), Cape Dory 25 (restoration project for cruising).

We also have been taking formal lessons for the past years to more rapidly advance our skills and be responsible sailors.

Forums have been a wealth of information. I have actively contributed to some, but mostly read them for information.

Sometimes I get the impression some individuals who get upset when beginners ask the same questions that get asked time and again.

Please remember that beginners don't always know the correct terms to use to ask the proper questions. They may also not know how to effectively use the search engine.

What I have found to be the most helpful responses:

- are links to specific threads from the past (they make sense when someone points them out)

- define acronyms somewhere in the thread ("PO" mean "petty officer" or "purchase order" or a state of mind - "Previous Owner" does not come to mind quickly. It can also be dyslexically confused with "OP" meaning "original poster", not the one from Mayberry.)

- that recognize that most people have the intelligence to learn to sail and encourage the individual. There is a healthy difference in opinions regarding preferences. Certain things are critical (i.e. COLREGS).

A GLOSSARY OF ACRONYMS and TERMS would help us newbies. The information is out there but scattered.

This post is meant to be "food for thought". We have persevered the initial portion of the learning curve and now are entering the visibly sloping portion.

John
Cal28 likes this.
post #33 of 33 Old 08-18-2011
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepomer View Post

A GLOSSARY OF ACRONYMS and TERMS would help us newbies. The information is out there but scattered.

This post is meant to be "food for thought". We have persevered the initial portion of the learning curve and now are entering the visibly sloping portion.

John
Calling SmackDaddy, clean up on aisle 3!

The best I can come up with from the web is: Acronym Search - Your source for acronyms and abbreviations
but even there, 'PO' does not list 'previous owner' as a suggestion.
It is pretty hard to keep up with acronyms. I just looked up 'rotflbtc' ROTFLBTC - Rolling On The Floor Laughing, Biting The Carpet
and was amazed! I'm still not sure I want to know what it means! :-)
The idea of an boat forum specific database of friggin' acronyms might not be a terrible idea, eh, as long as it gave 'Previous owner' as a suggestion for 'PO'.
Incidentally, the POS PO of my boat was actually a good guy and took good care of his baby which is now mine. Baby needs shoes and all kinds of things.
If this all sounds obtuse it probably is.
My best.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in