Snow!!! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-03-2010 Thread Starter

Snow!!!

The forcast here is once again calling for large amounts of snow. I've always shoveled the snow off the boat in these circumstances, but I'm gettign old and shovelling the snow off of the boat is getting old too. That led me to wonder, just how much snow can a boat have on it before there's risk of sinking? In my case, the cockpit scuppers are about a foot above the water line. Seems like the weight of the snow ends up pretty well distributed, so I'd guess that it would take a lot to lower the boat any significant amount, but I wondered if anyone here had any practical (hopefully not tragic) experience.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-03-2010

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Cover you boat with canvas...or at least the cockpit area. Its relatively easy to do even without buying or making as we did a custom canvas cover in two pieces. Buy the cheap blue pvc covers with gromets and stretch them over your boom then down to the toe rail and tie with bungees or line. This will [protect a lot of the area and prevent the cockpit from filling up with snow.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #3 of 17 Old 02-03-2010
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
You can also weight the tarp down with milk jugs full of water if you have no good attachment points. Tie them to the tarp grommets with line.

As far as what can go wrong? What I've heard of happening this winter, is that boats that get pushed down, due to increased water pressure, are having water backup through inboard engine water intakes, blowing the hoses off of seacocks and flooding down.

If your intakes are dry and shut, and your seacocks are shut, hoses double-clamped, you should be ok.

Also, if you make a tent over the boom, and the cockpit remains empty, the snow will pile onto the forward deck, maybe it'll raise the stern and keep most of your seacocks from being pushed deeper underwater.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #4 of 17 Old 02-03-2010

In Nanaimo a few years back during a particularly bad winter the crew at a marina came to the realization that salt melts snow, that salt water has salt in it and that shoveling tin shed roofs was a PITA. So, armed with gas pumps and fire hoses they went to work. They got a fast lesson in the water holding characteristics of snow. Many, many sheds collapsed with very expensive boats inside.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-03-2010

That's a scary story, though it reminds me that a bucket of seawater is a good way to temporarily de-ice the docks.

As to the OP's question, packed snow is about 30% as dense as water. So if I want to displace an inch more water I need roughly three inches of packed snow on the deck (my hull is not a cylinder but whatever). Fortunately the snow that falls isn't all packed, so in practice it's probably quite a bit more snow required to raise the waterline by an inch.

If I set up a boom tent and get negligible snow buildup around it, I might get 40% (10' boom on a 27' deck, bow is not very wide) less snow buildup overall so I'd need seven or eight inches of snow to get the same average rise in waterline, and as Bubblehead points out, it would be lifting many of the through-hulls out of the water (though hard to tell how much because you're fighting against the fore-and-aft righting moment of the keel).

s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
post #6 of 17 Old 02-04-2010
Mermaid Hunter

I've had up to 8" snow on deck. Generally when it is really heavy I just keep the scuppers clear and the bit of deck I need to get on and off the boat.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #7 of 17 Old 02-04-2010

I've never had quite that much and while I thought she was sitting a bit low I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or not. Did you happen to notice where your waterline was?

s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
post #8 of 17 Old 02-04-2010
1975 Newport 28

A few weeks ago we had an ~12" snowfall here in the Baltimore area. I didn't cover up my boat (1975 Newport 28) at all, and when I went to check on her a couple of days after the storm she was riding high, waterline not appreciably down and only the cockpit had snow in it. There was also a bit of snow inside the cabin where the wind pushed in through the gap between the washboards and the roof.

I'd say I'm therefore not worried about the storm we're about to get (~24"), but that would be tempting fate, so I won't. I'll check on her ASAP after the storm, and she'll be in my thoughts all day long.

S/V Free Spirit

Monrovia, MD
post #9 of 17 Old 02-05-2010
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Yeah, I'm not taking anything for granted. I'll be checking on mine all weekend.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #10 of 17 Old 02-05-2010
Mermaid Hunter

Just finished clearing snow for the fourth time. Back to sleep with a two hour timer to get up and do it again. *sigh* I'd rather be standing watches somewhere.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in