BMW Oracle Wins Race 1 - if you care !!! - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulofmine View Post
Perhaps it will when the US sets the stakes next time.

It's important to have innovation, but these boats are nearly of the "powered" variety. Needless to say, those multis are still an incredible spectacle to watch. Though once that amazement wears off, I imagine everyone will see that there is clearly a lack of the sporting tactics and physicality we are used to seeing. I don't want to see which country has the best scientists and technicians, I want to see the best sailors.
+1. Watching those crew dudes just kind of sitting around the hulls in their white lab coats was seriously goofy. That's not the yacht racing I know and love.

Does anyone know if there is video of the start that was screwed up so badly? I missed that part.

And what happen to the blown penalty turn? Did they not get back past the line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 Old 02-12-2010

Quote:

It's important to have innovation, but these boats are nearly of the "powered" variety. Needless to say, those multis are still an incredible spectacle to watch. Though once that amazement wears off, I imagine everyone will see that there is clearly a lack of the sporting tactics and physicality we are used to seeing. I don't want to see which country has the best scientists and technicians, I want to see the best sailors.
For good or bad the AC was originally about whose boat was better. The NYC YC, in reality, basterdized, the AC with the 12 meter regattas. There are plenty of regattas where you can see who the best sailors are. The AC is about bringing the best boats and sailors together. I thought it was pretty cool seeing these boats sail.

Unless Oracle breaksdown or Allinghy is much better in different conditions this series is over.

Both helmsmen screwed up big time at the start. It made me feel pretty good about some of my bad starts.

Smack, go to ESPN 360, I watched the start live at about 8 am EST. You can bring up the replay.
post #13 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
Banned

Cool - thanks caly.

post #14 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
Unpaid Intern

Yeah, I was going to post about espn360 too. Whole race is there.

I actually watched it this morning live, which was kind of exciting, considering I wasn't really interested. I just happened to be up, thought oh yeah the America's Cup is today, and decided to give it a try.

The start was actually pretty exciting, considering I thought I wasn't interested.

-J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #15 of 50 Old 02-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I care, it was a great race too. I wonder what Alinghi will change for Sunday? Or do they hope a better breeze will favor the cat? If they don't find something, (and if nothing breaks on Oracle) it will be 2-0, and the cup comes back to the USA.
Barring a major equipment failure or major foul, it doesn't look like Allinghi has much of a chance. The BMW/Oracle boat is SO much faster and these races are drag races, not tactical matches, for the most part. The Oracle Boat went into Irons at the Start, sat perfectly still, started about two and a half minutes after the BMW boat and still managed to win by fifteen minues (probably around ten without some of Allinghi's errors).
post #16 of 50 Old 02-12-2010

Quote:

Very well put.
post #17 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:

I agree as well. While I enjoyed watching the race today, I miss the boats circling each other for pre-start antics, and tacking duels upwind, etc. I would prefer to see racing in monohulls built to some sort of rule (as in the past), where technology matters, but the boats are still more closely matched. That's not because I have anything against multihulls--I just think monohulls provide more entertainment from a TV viewing perspective.

I'd also like to see skippers and crews that are from the country the boat is said to represent--at least for the most part. If that puts the U.S. at risk for losing, so be it. Just my opinion about what I would like to see personally.

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #18 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
I'd also like to see skippers and crews that are from the country the boat is said to represent--at least for the most part. If that puts the U.S. at risk for losing, so be it. Just my opinion about what I would like to see personally.
The boat doesn't represent a country, but a Club. But that is not a bad idea. The America's cup was what we had more close to a World's championship at the highest level, for match sailing. Fact is that even if some countries had several teams, the Nations supported their teams, in a way that has no parallel in any other form of sailing.

I think it is a good idea: Designer of the boat, sailors and skipper all representing a country...and the boat built there, of course.

They would have to agree on the type and basic characteristics of the boat...and those characteristics would have to permit a reasonable cost of the boat.

Regards

Paulo

post #19 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
Re-Member

The whole race can be watched live and then replays at:

BMW ORACLE Racing

S/V Benediction
Catalina 445

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
post #20 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The boat doesn't represent a country, but a Club. But that is not a bad idea. The America's cup was what we had more close to a World's championship at the highest level, for match sailing. Fact is that even if some countries had several teams, the Nations supported their teams, in a way that has no parallel in any other form of sailing.

I think it is a good idea: Designer of the boat, sailors and skipper all representing a country...and the boat built there, of course.

They would have to agree on the type and basic characteristics of the boat...and those characteristics would have to permit a reasonable cost of the boat.

Regards

Paulo
Absolutely correct, Paulo. I was really just venting, and the country reference in my post wasn't accurate. But even with yacht clubs, there was a time when most of the people representing the yacht club on board the boat were from the country of origin for that boat--at least it seemed that way to me (perhaps I'm incorrect...I know there were always exceptions). That's really all I meant. And I don't think it has to be 100%, but it would be nice if the vast majority of these sailors weren't just hired guns from anywhere in the world.

Your suggestion that it would be cool if it were based on country instead of yacht club would be interesting. Not sure that the Deed of Gift would allow that kind of change, so it could be tricky to pull off. But it's an interesting concept.

In any case, I have doubts that the next America's Cup, wherever it is held, will look like we'd really like it to look. Maybe I'm just being cynical. It will always be a rich man's sport, and I'm sure this level of corporate sponsorship is here to stay. But I agree with other posters that it would be great if the race were decided more by the sailors and the team working together, and less by the design choices 2 years before the race.
-J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in