BMW Oracle Wins Race 1 - if you care !!! - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
PCP

Ok guys, I am out of here. No, I am not pissed, I am going to Valencia to have a look at the boats and the ambiance. I will be there for the next race... with a bit of luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 Old 02-12-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Ok guys, I am out of here. No, I am not pissed, I am going to Valencia to have a look at the boats and the ambiance. I will be there for the next race... with a bit of luck.
Have fun and take pics (...please)!

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #23 of 50 Old 02-12-2010

Wow, good for you. Enjoy.

There's always a way around the nationality requirements. Sailors move around for jobs, lofts open branches in the country wanting their sails. I do wish there were more Americans on Oracle, but I love watching her go.

post #24 of 50 Old 02-12-2010

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I love watching any sailing race...especially where the boats are evenly matched so that you get to see and debate the tactics...read the wind sifts...see which side of the course has more...crossovers...covering tacks...blanketing a sail.

This all started with the infamous catamaran vs monohull Americas Cups race which was so boring. It has become merely an expensive design drag race about technology. That is interesting if boats are equal.

They should do what NASCAR does. Put more design rules in, so everyone basically has the same equipment with small modifications. Even the race where the Aussies had the winged keel (Austrailia II) vs Conners (Freedom ) where it was obvious the innovative keel gave them a huge advantage the races were close and the series was 4-3. Conners skill and tactics was what made it close. he jumped a few starts and covered in tacking duels the whole race to win ( much simplfied).

I want to see skill and tactics....not necessarily technology and money invested

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #25 of 50 Old 02-13-2010

I agree

And don't forget about who throws the most money at it. Lets get something that resembles a real life boat, that the common man can associate with, and sailors who actually have to sail the boat, trim the sails, and all the other things associated with a every day sailboat.

Dream like you will live forever. Live like you will die tomorrow. ( James Dean )
post #26 of 50 Old 02-13-2010

I watched the race last night and was bored to tears. The Volvo and Vendee races have it right by putting cameras on the boats to increase spectator interest. But then again, the AC doesn't really care about anyone but their sponsors. This whole race has been so low key that there was virtually nothing on the America's Cup web site until a day or so ago. They didn't even have a video of the race!

AC has gone way downhill since the 80's. I have no problem with the technical innovation, catamarans, or cost. But there just seems to be no attention paid to the media - I saw a video of the opening of the AC "media center" - a few folding tables in a room and maybe 10 guys with cameras. Ha!

Sabre 38 "Victoria"
post #27 of 50 Old 02-13-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I watched the race last night and was bored to tears. The Volvo and Vendee races have it right by putting cameras on the boats to increase spectator interest. But then again, the AC doesn't really care about anyone but their sponsors. This whole race has been so low key that there was virtually nothing on the America's Cup web site until a day or so ago. They didn't even have a video of the race!

AC has gone way downhill since the 80's. I have no problem with the technical innovation, catamarans, or cost. But there just seems to be no attention paid to the media - I saw a video of the opening of the AC "media center" - a few folding tables in a room and maybe 10 guys with cameras. Ha!
Apparently, the Alinghi camp refused to allow camera on their boat, so of course, BMW Oracle said that they wouldn't do it either, if Alinghi wouldn't do it. I agree...much more exciting with cameras on board.

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #28 of 50 Old 02-15-2010

I think that the 1st race itself ended up quite boring - two boats up the course 20 miles to the weather mark then downhill riun to the finish. I never watched the 2nd race.

But the technology is something to see and the boats are marvels of sailing tech at its best. Going to weather at boat speeds greater than true windspeed is one thing but where else would one see a boat going downwind at 25 knots with 12 knots or less of true windspeed? Awesome stuff from that perspective.

Also, did anyone notice the backpack that James Spithill was wearing while he helmed? Apparently that contained computer wizardry that gave him a heads-up display of all the vital stats of the race in his sunglasses. There was a huge amount of really high-end technology at play in the race.

Another stat that shook me was that the Oracle tri at 90ft long and 70 ft wide weighed just 8 tons, 4 tons less than my 44 foot cruising boat. You have to give the designers points for that!

I heard on a radio station a comment allegedly made by Larry Ellison and later by Sir Russel Coutts that they planned on taking the AC back to the earlier format (synidcates competing in a pre-cup regatta) and maybe even capping expenditure on a campaign to bring it back to basics. After all, the world match racing champs that we watched in Auckland Harbour a couple of years ago was raced in boats that even I could afford.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #29 of 50 Old 02-15-2010
Telstar 28

Andre—

The BMW Oracle 90 is 90' x 90'... not 90' x 70'. The sucker has a square footprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I think that the 1st race itself ended up quite boring - two boats up the course 20 miles to the weather mark then downhill riun to the finish. I never watched the 2nd race.

But the technology is something to see and the boats are marvels of sailing tech at its best. Going to weather at boat speeds greater than true windspeed is one thing but where else would one see a boat going downwind at 25 knots with 12 knots or less of true windspeed? Awesome stuff from that perspective.

Also, did anyone notice the backpack that James Spithill was wearing while he helmed? Apparently that contained computer wizardry that gave him a heads-up display of all the vital stats of the race in his sunglasses. There was a huge amount of really high-end technology at play in the race.

Another stat that shook me was that the Oracle tri at 90ft long and 70 ft wide weighed just 8 tons, 4 tons less than my 44 foot cruising boat. You have to give the designers points for that!

I heard on a radio station a comment allegedly made by Larry Ellison and later by Sir Russel Coutts that they planned on taking the AC back to the earlier format (synidcates competing in a pre-cup regatta) and maybe even capping expenditure on a campaign to bring it back to basics. After all, the world match racing champs that we watched in Auckland Harbour a couple of years ago was raced in boats that even I could afford.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #30 of 50 Old 02-15-2010
BoatSmith

If you want to see sailors race against sailors then you need a strict one design class such as the J24. Sails are measured boats are measured and weighed and tested for balance. Very tight. Even at the Worlds level you will see fleets with a spread of 10%.
There is also the Congressional Cup out of Long beach Yacht Club where the club owns all of the boats and sails and there are no electronics.
The America's Cup was never intended to be a strict one design class. It is the ultimate developmental class with only lwl and draft as the limits. This kind of class is where a lot of sailing technological development comes from. If the rules say you can only race one kind of boat then you will only have one kind of boat.
The rtw race boats are way cool but are not the ultimate speed machines pushing the limits of technology. They have to make it all the way around without breaking. I don't think a F1 car would be any good for a trip to the grocery store much less as a rally car. Horses for courses.
David

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in