Lubberly Gardening - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter

Lubberly Gardening

My marina recently underwent a "beautification" which included a new bulkhead, and the destruction of a small vegetated area. It is currently full of two to five inch round stones, mud, gravel and clay.

The landlord didn't bother to re-vegetate the area, or put the fence or gate back up. Interested joggers going along the length of the waterfront, bicyclists, motorists and others periodically pull into the lot at my marina, which is a dead end, on private property, and look around, then leave. This is on the East side of Lake Union.

So people can simply hop onto the dock where my boat is, and take off with whatever they please. Last summer someone stole my dockmates dink.

What kind of plants should I plant to obscure physical and visual access to the dock?

I was thinking bamboo, or Olympic or Himalayan blackberries. Any good ideas for a bush that is people proof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter

I need an impenetrable thicket.

I need a thicket. A bundle of plant life so unfriendly and tangled that it looks like the matted locks of a heavily dreadlocked white rasta eco hippy terrorist. Help me. It needs to grow fast.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-07-2010

We're missing critical information about the climate of your area that would allow us to suggest the appropriate plants that could survive at your location.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter

Seattle. Summer has nice long days, hottest temperature ever was 104. Rarely in the 90s even during summer. Plenty of rainfall. Clay and mud thick soil. Freezes during winter, usually for a month or less. Lowest temperatures in winter around 20.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-07-2010

Obscuring the crime may make it easier. Instead, plant a sign that says the following:

"Can you run 955 feet per second? If not and I catch you taking something from my boat, you better be bulletproof."
post #6 of 12 Old 03-07-2010

Blackberry or Raspberry brambles. Pretty much impregnable and you get to eat em in the fall.
They grow fast too. Especially if you give them compost from your composting head.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-07-2010

You might try Prycantha, Barberry, some oregon grape is large tall enough. Rubus sp work too, ie blackberry. Of course the absolute worst would be Oplopanax horridus. A small groove would slow most down. Nettles might work too!

For ease on your boat, any other plant such as bammboo, or even a smaller maple, cedar etc would work.

Marty

Ps so you do not have to look Oplopanax horridus, look up devels club!

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #8 of 12 Old 03-07-2010
Telstar 28

I'd second Prycantha or Barberry. From an article on home intrusion prevention.

Quote:
Planting a bush or shrub near windows that are possible entry points can be a big deterrent for potential intruders. There are many potential thorny shrubs or bushes that can be used for your landscaping. Three of these are Berberis, Rosa Rugosa, and Pyracantha.

A berberis bush is also known as a Pepperidge bush or barberry. There are over 400 species of this shrub which all have thorny shoots making it perfect choice for secure landscaping. Berberis plants have leaves that vary from 1 - 10 centimeters long with thorns. Some species have leaves that will turn color and fall while others remain green all year long. Different species will produce either flowers or berries. Both forms of this plant are a beautiful addition to any home landscaping. Consider the color of the flower or berry to determine whether it will be a good fit for your home landscaping.

Rosa rugosa is also known as Japanese Rose, Ramanas Rose, or Rugas Rose. This plant is from eastern Asia and is a common ornamental plant in North America. Rosa rugosa grows very dense with tall stems and straight thorns. It will grow to 1 - 1.5 meters tall. It has large leaves and produces flowers that range from white to dark pink in color. This shrub will bloom in later summer or autumn with a sweet scent. Other common names for this plant are saltspray rose and beach rose.

Pyracantha, also known as Firethorn, is a very common plant used in gardens and landscaping. It is originally from Asia but many hybrid varieties have been developed since its introduction to North America. This evergreen shrub grows very tall with thorny leaves. A white flower typically is produced by firethorn accompanied with berries in varied tones of yellow, orange or red.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-07-2010

If one looks at Rosa sp, then rugosa, nootakensis, or any of the bush hybrids would work too. I was at a clients yesterday, her bush roses were 4' diam!

Take a ramble thru Swansons in Ballard for some idea's, Sky in Shoreline is a bit cheaper cost wise. THere used to be one in Georgetown near the north end of boeing field.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #10 of 12 Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter

MMMM. I totally forgot about raspberries. I am thinking a mix of himalayan blackberries, raspberries, and olympic blackberries, maybe even some wild blackberries in the mix... this could be a delicious and dangerous garden! The perfect impenetrable edible fence!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in