Websites for Wind Speed Forecasts? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-09-2010 Thread Starter

Websites for Wind Speed Forecasts?

I really like sailflow.com, but if you want to access it from your web-enabled cell phone they charge $29.95 per month.

SailFlow.com - WA - puget sound Wind Data

Are there any other websites that let you access the wind speed forecasts from your phone for free or at a low cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-09-2010

Windfinder - wind, wave & weather reports, forecasts & statistics / webcams, satellite images, isobar maps, tides

PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers

I don't know if they will come up on your phone, but they are free........i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-09-2010
Telstar 28

Sailflow is also free, even from a cell phone. Unless you've requested access to historical data older than one week, the whole site is free. I use it from my phone all the time... and have never been asked to pay. I don't know what you did differently, but you screwed up someplace.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-09-2010

SailFlow has extra features for moneys, such as historical data, wind graphs, and I think at least some current-conditions reports. But they do give you wind forecast plots for free, when they're up and running, which they're not for a significant fraction of the time. Right now the site is down, and there have been lots of times where they were "experience difficulties with their 0900 DRAMS model run" or whatever.

I check sailflow occasionally when I really want a plot. Otherwise I use bigwavedave.ca (unfortunately they don't have Puget Sound stuff), Environment Canada (usually grossly overestimates wind speed) and the NOAA forecasts from wunderground.com. I also look at the surface analysis charts (Pacific Briefing Package) alongside The Wind Came From All Ways, which again doesn't discuss Puget Sound, but I'm sure there's a similar book for Washington waters. Either way you can start to learn the patterns and do your own forecasting.

Also I googled "NOAA weather phone" and found NOAA TELEPHONE RECORDINGS

For Seattle: 206-526-6087
Also, there's a "dial-a-buoy" service where you can call a buoy and get current observations and forecasts: 888-701-8992.

For Vancouver weather phone: 604-664-9010
For Victoria weather phone: 250-656-2714

I have never used the phone services but I understand they're the same thing you hear on VHF W1/72.

s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
post #5 of 8 Old 03-09-2010

WindFinder is very cool. I've been using this one and found it to be rather accurate. Not much good for you folks in te Pacific Northwest though.........

CBOFS: Wind Forecast Guidance
post #6 of 8 Old 03-09-2010
Not Finished Yet

Windguru is also great if they cover a place you sail. They have two separate forecasts. One includes gust forecasts.

WindGURU: United States - TX - Galveston Island / East Beach

post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2010

I like & use SailFlow a lot, with two different maps we can get inner and outer wind conditions, right now we're getting 24-26 inner and 35-45 outer

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Friends don't let friends do stupid things alone

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 03-09-2010 at 04:25 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2010
PCP

I use this one:

Sailing: America

But for a general view PassageWeather looks great. Thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in