Is flying a pirate flag lame? - Page 106 - SailNet Community
 715Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1051 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015
arrgh!

Dock
Re: Is flying a pirate flag lame?

Context is probably key to this whole discussion of lameness. To me lame is doing something in an attempt to make yourself 'cool' or 'hip.' (Like when I wear my Mararitaville boat shoes to be cool, I know that is lame, but I focus ont he context of fun.) I would fly the jolly rogers because it is a novelty flag, like the flag with a martini on it is a novelty flag.

I don't think if you see a dinghy sailing around the harbor with a pirate flag raised, that you would be afraid they are going to plunder your yacht.

I don't think many fly it because they believe the flag has a rich sense of history, or they have some romantic sense it will make them look more manly or womanly. It is just fun... perhaps even a little silly...

and that is the context.

10 more posts for this thread and I will be at 200

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 06-28-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
........A question that keeps coming to the forefront by the ... oh lets call them haters.... besides Pirate Flags what else do you 'judge' to be lame.. what else do you say others should not do... because of mere opinion?

And while you are answering questions why are you so judgemental? Is there something about your opinion that makes you feel you are an authority on what is right or wrong (lame)......
This is the issue. You keep saying those that think flying the private flag is lame are haters, judgemental and are saying you shouldn't do it.

This thread specifically asked for an opinion. Just as if the OP asked whether others would dislike their house painted hot pink. I would reply that I didn't like that color house and that I believed most would agree. That's an opinion, but doesn't make one a hater, judgemental nor does it say they can't do it. You said these.

We can kid about whether the flags are lame (and they are) but saying those that think so are haters and insisting they are telling others what they should do is ironically judgemental.
therapy23 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #1053 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015
arrgh!

Dock

Caring not if you fly a flag or not is NOT being judgmental...

Caring is the judgmental part. The fact that the opening/original poster asked if you thought it was lame, was asking for opinion, not judgement

Saying flying a flag is lame and often suggesting the person who flies a flag is lame --- is being judgmental

While I have suggested haters hate, it is mainly because the position they take and the attitude

Much in the same way, you don't deny being judgmental or letting us know other things you judge society on. Though one could infer one item is Pink Houses and John Mellencamp.

Yes it is ironically judgmental to think (or point it out) your judging is judgmental - Guilty..

https://youtu.be/qOfkpu6749w

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 06-28-2015 at 09:07 AM.

post #1054 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015

So, you're saying that only opinions that agree with yours are non-judgemental.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #1055 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015
arrgh!

Dock

No.. sorry, I will judge myself, and I will say the fact that you are judging... is judgmental... and accept in the fine line of judging, I will point out what you did. and that in fact that is being judgmental on my part, which is what I said in the previous post.

But I will say, maybe you aren't being judgmental, just looks like it.

And one must ask, what else do you judge?

Emojis?

Boat Shoes?

I will say, I don't believe you to be lame or a hater, though if it quacks it might be a bad doctor

Edit: there is a difference of saying what your opinion is about a subject, from saying others are wrong in their opinion, which I have often expressed an opinion.. one that is judgmental about your judging. dear I say...

eight more posts to 200

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 06-28-2015 at 09:06 AM.
post #1056 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015

I have an opinion on both emojis and boat shoes. Ask away. When you get an answer, it will be just that, an answer. You can judge it to be more, if you like. Just like you can fly a lame pirate flag, if you like.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #1057 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015
arrgh!

Dock

So you have moved off 'is it lame to fly a pirate flag'

to the more judgmental 'lame flag'

Please note the original poster:

Quote:
Hey guys and gals,

I'm new to sailing. Is it considered lame to fly a pirate flag up on my shrouds or stays? Just a small one?

Thanks
RG
now is the flag lame, or those who fly them that is lame.

badda boom

7 from 200

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 06-28-2015 at 02:22 PM.
post #1058 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015

The author is just baiting everyone to argue with him. Don't bit. Never ending circle. Yes, there are people like this, no value added, just argue with no points or information. Waste
post #1059 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by single2coil View Post
The author is just baiting everyone to argue with him. Don't bit. Never ending circle. Yes, there are people like this, no value added, just argue with no points or information. Waste
who is the author? the guy who posted the opening post five years ago..and stop posting shortly after that? only posting four posts in this thread (one more than you (at this point) I might add)... or one of us are (I am guessing) debating this for fun and seeing if we can outwit each other.

Which, I would contend, is waht is lame, but if it is our choice... so be it and so what...

It really is only about four people who are 'playing' in ernest

sail on friend.

Vector X Y
post #1060 of 1515 Old 06-28-2015
Back to just the Jon boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
So, you're saying that only opinions that agree with yours are non-judgemental.
No, he is going to deny that.

What a hypocrite.

WE all know it is a long grey area. And we all know that there are limits to how much he will allow others to get away with before he makes a judgement.

He is going to pretend he follows the "live and let live" for all things but we know he has his limits just like everybody else. He will form opinions and more as he ages.

Just quit talking to him so he will shut the **** up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in