Is flying a pirate flag lame? - Page 132 - SailNet Community
 715Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1311 of 1515 Old 02-19-2016

Re: Is flying a pirate flag lame?

Comparing a pirate flag to a Swastika is non-sense. The swastika still has symbolic meaning today, and is still used in some circles. a pirate flag does not carry the same depth of meaning, as no current pirate fly the jolly roger. The jolly roger has a greater association with Disney than with current piracy.
titustiger27 likes this.

Dave
RL 24 NEW to me April 25th 2014
AFC 17' 2+2 (sold in 2012)
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1312 of 1515 Old 02-19-2016
HANUMAN

Good post Dave.

The "Pirate Flags" mean nothing beyond a simple 'even if I don't know you, swing by and introduce yourself, I'm bound to offer you a cold one'.

Everyone should have a pretty clear understanding that when you pull into an anchorage you are not going to fire cannons, pillage, or anything else that might risk spilling your cocktail. The silly "SURRENDER THE BOOTY" or "PREPARE TO BE BOARDED" or "TIME FLIES WHEN YOU ARE HAVING RUM" have absolutely nothing to do with piracy, historical, modern, or in your imagination. It's a flipping joke.

You want to preach history based on West Marine end of isle nylon junk marketed to make one giggle? Really history? Slave ships have sailed under the US Ensign. Some pirates/privateers operated with impunity from multiple governments. Navy recruiters lied to get young men sign themselves into indentured servitude, it went on for hundreds of years and has nothing to do with anything on this thread.

You want to say they are lame because they are immature or a bad investment or you hope Walt Disney's frozen head cracks, fine. The fact that you read a book and now get to educate the masses on how pirates did bad things to their fellow man and assume those who buy cheap nylon flags are ignorant or slept through world history is just plain silly.

Anyone who thinks that flying a pirate flag is making some sort of political or historical statement is, well, is lame. Lame, lame, lame.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #1313 of 1515 Old 02-19-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
There are now more people of Norwegian extraction in Minnesota than in Norway. Neither is particularly proud of their history of rampaging vikings, although they are rightly proud of the exploration and seamanship of those same people.

Christopher Columbus and Captain Cook are similar historical figures and should be considered in the context of their time. Still neither would be considered good dinner company today.

You can't change history.

Piracy on the other hand continues to this date and not only on Wall Street. While international enforcement has reduced the risk near the Horn of Africa it continues to the North and East of that area and along the Caribbean coasts of South and Central America. Much of Southeast Asia continues to suffer from piracy.

You need not look into the distant past to find examples of terrible actions by pirates. The death of the owners and their guests on S/V Quest is only the most well known of recent events.

Which leads me to the conclusion that people who fly pirate flags simply don't think at all about the message they send to those who do pay attention to world events.

You and everyone else have every right to fly a pirate flag and to do all manner of other lame things. Others like me who consider it to be lame have every right to judge you and treat you accordingly. You demonstrate that you don't care about the people who suffered and died at the hands of pirates, and who suffer and die today. I agree with the analogy offered above with Nazi flag. Flying one of those would be similarly lame.

But those who raise their voices in support of "it's all in fun" don't want to think about those realities. They have blindly selected the answer they want to be true and care not for inconvenient truths.
When you played cops and robbers as a kid, you where always the cop. Admit it. Sitting there making the other kids listen to the miranda speech. Not shooting back at them with your cap gun. Taking them all in alive. Letting them wait for their lawyer before questioning them. Could anyone just fake a gut shot and go in for dinner on time?

Let's not get started on the Cowboys and Indians thing.

Or the snow ball fights.

C'mon, laugh it off.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #1314 of 1515 Old 02-19-2016
I do all my own stunts

I look at it like this, you can always tell who the noob's are.

In the trucking business its the guy who has to play east bound and down over the CB Radio, in the Navy it's the guy who can't stop quoting Top Gun, and well in boating more often than not its the guy with the pirate flag.

If you want to fly a Jolly Rodger on your boat fine with me, but I am going to assume one of two things about you if you do, either you are a total noob, or you have watched wayyyyy too much Disney.
post #1315 of 1515 Old 02-20-2016

Picking on my ancestral family is lame...
Y'all are too serious...and several of my favorite Sailnet members too, Rob and SV...
If any "Lame Pirate Flag Flyer" saw a real Pirate...they would need the flag to wipe...
Personally I like the "cocktail flag" Cheers!
post #1316 of 1515 Old 02-20-2016

Well, OK I admit, we do have cannons and guns on our boat and shoot freely into the air or randomly at others in the boat. A little water is refreshing on a hot day.

Dave
RL 24 NEW to me April 25th 2014
AFC 17' 2+2 (sold in 2012)
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
post #1317 of 1515 Old 02-20-2016
I do all my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Well, OK I admit, we do have cannons and guns on our boat and shoot freely into the air or randomly at others in the boat. A little water is refreshing on a hot day.
Need I say more?
RobGallagher likes this.
post #1318 of 1515 Old 02-20-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
Picking on my ancestral family is lame...
Y'all are too serious...and several of my favorite Sailnet members too, Rob and SV...
If any "Lame Pirate Flag Flyer" saw a real Pirate...they would need the flag to wipe...
Personally I like the "cocktail flag" Cheers!
A pirate flag is a cocktail flag in a funny hat. irate raft: irate raft: irate raft:
captjcook likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #1319 of 1515 Old 02-20-2016

This topic is just not all that deep. Way too much philosophical prose.

Most find the flag lame. That's really all the OP asked.
SVAuspicious likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #1320 of 1515 Old 02-20-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
My vote for best post in this thread.
captjcook likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in