30' Boat to the Bahamas then who knows - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-05-2010 Thread Starter

30' Boat to the Bahamas then who knows

An older friend of mine and I are sailing to the Bahamas in early October. I am 31 he is 65. He is paying for food and docking and such. I provide the boat.
Likely will decide to sail farther south to Puerto Rico and who knows from there. Possibly farther south if I don't run out of money. He probably won't be with me then.
The boat is a 1974 Grampian 31' sloop rig. It doesn't have a shower only a porta potty. No radar. No liferaft. No Eperb. No watermaker. It has two 20 gallon water tanks and no inboard motor. It has a Tohatsu 9.8 hp outboard instead. It has no spare sails only the roller jib and heavy duty 3 reef main. The autopilot is the tiller kind and it has gone out before. It will have a dinghy soon.
Any suggestions for equipment, snacks, food, water, medicine (Money Saving hints is a plus) also, rules, fees, languages, lingo, weather, currents, routes, places we should stop, that I should know about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-05-2010

Are you looking for us to talk you into it or talk you out of it?
post #3 of 16 Old 08-05-2010

I think you have safety and electric issues

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-05-2010 Thread Starter

Minor suggestions are appreciated but if you don't have anything please don't waste time.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-05-2010

Are you going to use the battery fairy ? as even the nav lights will will use it up in a day or two

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #6 of 16 Old 08-05-2010
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin_alan View Post
Minor suggestions are appreciated but if you don't have anything please don't waste time.
Is it doable - of course. Is it smart. No. If you don't think the comments above aren't "anything" you have some larnin' to do.

From what you describe, keeping enough battery energy to run nav lights and even an anchor light will be rough. What's your plan for that?

You have a long list of things you don't have ... what do you have? What's your plan if you get hit by a thunderstorm?

What are you plans for communications? How will you get weather information? Have you ever stood watchs? How about your friend?

Plans for provisioning, waste, trash, ...

What you have suggested is akin to saying you've just started driving, bought an old Pinto, and are planning to drive from Chicago to Baja.

You shouldn't be surprised to hear some things you don't like.

You can get a lot of help here and in other fora, but if you're asking questions you should have an open mind as to the answers.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #7 of 16 Old 08-05-2010
Telstar 28

First, you will likely need some way to charge the batteries. Outboards have very poor battery charging capabilities.

Also, the porta-potty isn't going to cut it in most areas. In some areas, porta-potties aren't allowed, unless they are permanently mounted and of the MSD type with a deck pumpout fitting, which I doubt is the case with yours. Having a proper marine head with holding tank that is setup for both deck pumpout and self-pumpout would make far more sense.

Fixing the autopilot and making it more reliable will be useful.

Having more water carrying capacity as well as fuel capacity would be wise. In some areas of the Caribbean potable fresh water is not-free. Having more capacity allows you to skip areas that have poor/expensive/contaminated water.

As for rules, fees, etc., you should look at the various countries on noonsite.com.

For route planning, I'd recommend you pickup a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes.

As for where to stop...that can depend a lot on what your budget it.

I'd point out that the more self-sufficient the boat, the less expensive it will be to stay out cruising long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin_alan View Post
An older friend of mine and I are sailing to the Bahamas in early October. I am 31 he is 65. He is paying for food and docking and such. I provide the boat.
Likely will decide to sail farther south to Puerto Rico and who knows from there. Possibly farther south if I don't run out of money. He probably won't be with me then.
The boat is a 1974 Grampian 31' sloop rig. It doesn't have a shower only a porta potty. No radar. No liferaft. No Eperb. No watermaker. It has two 20 gallon water tanks and no inboard motor. It has a Tohatsu 9.8 hp outboard instead. It has no spare sails only the roller jib and heavy duty 3 reef main. The autopilot is the tiller kind and it has gone out before. It will have a dinghy soon.
Any suggestions for equipment, snacks, food, water, medicine (Money Saving hints is a plus) also, rules, fees, languages, lingo, weather, currents, routes, places we should stop, that I should know about.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-05-2010

There are two serious passages (Gulfstream & Mona). in your planned itenerary....known for eating up boats and sailors much more trained and well prepared than your post makes you out to be.

Respect the ocean & elements up front, or they'll learn ya good.

Advise you take some time and fix up this boat or choose another altogether and perhaps report back on your experience offshore out of sight of land.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #9 of 16 Old 08-05-2010

What is the condition of the boat?
What is the extent of your sailing experience?
What is your friend's experience?

It sounds as if you are looking at a marginal boat with marginal funds and marginal experience. If the boat were extensively setup for cruising, you could get by with less money and less experience. If you were highly experienced at everything from blue-water sailing to rigging, to engine repair, you might get away with a marginal boat. If you had lots of money to throw at problems as they crop up on the way, you might get lucky.

It sounds like trying to sit on a three legged stool that has three weak legs. You may get lucky, but are more likely to land on your ass. I hope you have the time and resources to get your boat, and your crew up to speed and have a wonderful trip.

Dave

Dave
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

47⁰20'11.7" N
122⁰35'20.8" W
M/V Kinship, North Pacific 43
Formerly
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
post #10 of 16 Old 08-05-2010
Sundance 23

You'll want an EPIRB as well as the life raft you mention. Sounds scary to me at this point.

Water is Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in