Trailer Sailing - Am I fooling myself? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-15-2010 Thread Starter

Trailer Sailing - Am I fooling myself?

So the plan for next spring is to purchase a 22'-25' trailerable boat. We live in SE of Nebraska so most coastal destinations are simply out of reach for us on all but the most ambitious of vacations.

I am struggling between bigger 25' boats with a larger cabin and the smaller 22' boats that would be easier to trailer and setup.

Things I think I know...

1) I am going to get a permanent slip at a reasonably close (cpl hours away) lake
2) We expect to sleep on the boat on those weekends for a night or two
3) Expect to partake in the local sailing club's activities

Things I am not so sure of

1) Is trailering a 25' boat around just too much of a pain that people simply just don't do it that often?
2) Does sleeping on a 22' boat with 2-3 stink so bad that we would regret not getting the larger boat

My issue is, if I am fooling myself about the trailering around then I should probably just get a bigger boat 25-30 and leave it in the lake. It will be more comfortable. If on the other hand the idea of trailering around is something that people do quite a bit then I don't want to eliminate this as a possibility.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-15-2010

I have both and for lake use the C-22 is great for weekend outings for 2 or 3. If you are going to trailer then its easy. The C-26 is nice for the extra room but we spend 3 to 4 days at a time alot. I'm not looking forward to when it has to me trailered even with the idea its ment to be a trailer sailer. "I think we need a bigger truck"

What I find is you want to spend more time in the cockpit then the cabin. Start out with a 22 and see what your needs will be.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-15-2010
Bristol 29.9

Send a message via Yahoo to Maverick1958
Agreed. I have a Helsen 22 and love it. Easy to trailer, easy to sail. As for the stink bathe and stop eating beans.

It's all about the BOOTY

post #4 of 14 Old 08-15-2010 Thread Starter

@MarioG how often do you take your 22 on the trailer?

@Maverick lol, stink bathe? It will mostly be my wife.. she gets to live with what I think you are referring to now as it is
post #5 of 14 Old 08-15-2010
Lake Sailor

I am in the same "boat" as you are Jim. Trying to determine if I want something around 22 or a 25 that I can move if I want too. I am leaning twords a 25 as the lake I will be at is only 20 minutes away. Its not called the land of roughly 10,000 lakes for nothing..... I only plan on moving the boat, if I get one, when we go to larger lakes to the north. Depends on what your PITA tollerance is I guess and what it takes to get the boat out of the water and transportable.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-15-2010

I'm in Idaho.. everything is a mountain lake. There's one marina in within about 200 miles, and it has 42 slips. There's about 1.5 million people within 20 miles of where I'm sitting, so if you do the math you'll realize that we all trailer. Everywhere. On the plus side, there are 5 lakes within 90 minutes, so there's plenty of room.

Having said all of that, I have a 19 foot boat because I haul it with a minivan. (Yeah.. I'm cool enough for a minivan.)

Looking around at the local sailing club membership, there are at least 30 boats in the 24 foot or longer range. Lots of those guys have huge trucks and need 2 hours to setup/teardown a boat. On the other hand, the 3 or 4 guys I sail with use your basic f150 type truck.. nothing fancy. The water-ballasted boats are great for that.

And the only piece of advice I'm smart enough to offer is this... I'm also a huge fan of buying extremely inexpensive 'first' boats... I figure about 99% of humanity will want a new boat within two years after their first boat. So it doesn't matter what you buy now. Go buy a $20,000 boat.. in two years, you'll want a new one. Buy a $2,000 boat.. in two years, you'll want a new one. On the other hand.. you buy an expensive boat now, you are going to loose money on it. First, you'll loose money because you aren't as familiar with the market as you will be in two years. Second, you'll loose money because boats don't appreciate in value.. they always depreciate. Course, the depreciation on a $2 grand boat is a couple hundred dollars. The depreciation on that $20K McFabulous boat is several grand.

Anyway, for what it's worth, in my very humble opinion, heck yes a trailerable boat is worth it! And if you decide to visit the great lakes, you can do it. Or take a week camping trip in another state? Go wild!

And like I said.. I do it in the foothills of the rocky mountains with a minivan.. so a guy on the plains with a modest truck will be in great shape

I'm just saying.

... or I'm wrong.

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
post #7 of 14 Old 08-15-2010
One of None

I had a hunter 23 and sold it, one reason was the weight of the mast. My son and I could not handle it alone.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #8 of 14 Old 08-15-2010
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Jim2553

What do you propose to tow with and how many miles and or how often will you tow.

How often do you see yourself rigging the mast and how many people will there be to do it.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-15-2010

i have a mac 22 and it only takes about 20 minutes for me and my wife to set up for the day. I have no problems trailering with my jeep, but the lake is only about 15 minutes away. Spent the night on it a couple of times, just me and the two kids, kinda crowded but not too bad. I do wish it was a little bigger for the overnights.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-15-2010

Lightbulb More Boat = More Hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2553 View Post
So the plan for next spring is to purchase a 22'-25' trailerable boat. We live in SE of Nebraska so most coastal destinations are simply out of reach for us on all but the most ambitious of vacations.

I am struggling between bigger 25' boats with a larger cabin and the smaller 22' boats that would be easier to trailer and setup.

Things I think I know...

1) I am going to get a permanent slip at a reasonably close (cpl hours away) lake
2) We expect to sleep on the boat on those weekends for a night or two
3) Expect to partake in the local sailing club's activities

Things I am not so sure of

1) Is trailering a 25' boat around just too much of a pain that people simply just don't do it that often?
2) Does sleeping on a 22' boat with 2-3 stink so bad that we would regret not getting the larger boat

My issue is, if I am fooling myself about the trailering around then I should probably just get a bigger boat 25-30 and leave it in the lake. It will be more comfortable. If on the other hand the idea of trailering around is something that people do quite a bit then I don't want to eliminate this as a possibility.

Anyone have any experience with this?
I would vote for getting the smallest boat that meets your Real Needs. And that may be a 20 to 22 footer. We cruised a Ranger 20 for 5 summers, and towed it with a four cylinder pickup. For instance, our former Ranger 20 would meet all of your 1 through 3 requirements. (Except that a third person would sleep on a cockpit seat under the boom tent.)
I used to raise the spar by myself, and being a fractional rig, it was a tall mast.
So, be realistic (and a bit ruthless) about your needs, other than a need to sail and be comfortable aboard for the occasional 3 day weekend.
If there are no used R-20's in your area, a Catalina 22 or SJ-21 would also do, it would seem.
Regards,
L

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in