End of 2nd season better than end of 1st - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2010 Thread Starter

End of 2nd season better than end of 1st

We just brought Eastwind home for the winter. This was my second season sailing and second with her and I feel much better about sailing than I did at this point last year. The first season with my first boat often left me frustrated at the end of the day. I had exhilarating days when sailing was the most fun I'd had in years,too. At the end of the season I knew I needed to try it again. Not quit. I put new sails on her and new running rigging and went back at it this spring.

It was much more fun this time. That's why I haven't been posting anything for a long time. I've been at the boat a lot. Been on the water a lot. We went over the bar and sailed up along the coast a few times. I feel like I learned to sail this summer. I now know what all the thingies do and can use them in concert to make the boat go where I want when I want. That is so cool.

I still have the slowest boat in the race but I don't mind. It's part me and part the boat. Next year we won't care either. We'll just have fun even if we do come in last.
Mike

Cal 36 #54
Ida Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2010
Tartan 27' owner

And each season should only get better.
Thinking back on when we first got our new (old) Tartan 27' about 10 years ago I had a lot to learn. I have discovered a lot about our inboard Atomic 4 engine as well as how to sail our boat under various wind conditions. We have been doing the Weds. night racing at our club as well and this has taught us a lot about optimal sail trim and speed for normal conditions. For a few races the wind was high enough that we actually tucked in a reef.
Forgetting about auxiliary engines, it can take a while for an owner to 'get to know' how his/her boat 'likes' to sail. This process is not unlike getting to know a person better and (ahem) even intimately, which can take years.
If you think your Balboa 24' is slow our Tartan 27' carries a PHRF of 240 locally. We did really well this past season against the newer boats in our (slow) PHRF grouping. Most of doing well in racing is just showing up for each race.
Glad to hear you had a good season.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2010
Mirage 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHopeBay View Post
I still have the slowest boat in the race but I don't mind. It's part me and part the boat. Next year we won't care either. We'll just have fun even if we do come in last.
I share your views completely. We just marked our first anniversary as boat owners, and have just finished our first real season. We may not be fast or win races, but who cares? We have learned a lot about the boat and ourselves, and that is what it is all about!

Mark

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-01-2010

Getting close to the end of the first season and grining from ear to ear while on water. Still lots of frustrations discovering things that dont work but hoping that it will be less and less in the future. I find I think about sailing when I am not. I guess I am hooked.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-01-2010

Also at the end of my second season with this boat. Had a really good sail last week, no struggles. It always gets better with time. I'm glad that you are enjoying sailing.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-01-2010 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Also at the end of my second season with this boat. Had a really good sail last week, no struggles. It always gets better with time. I'm glad that you are enjoying sailing.
In the first year there were days when I grinned ear to ear and days when I wanted to shoot holes in the bottom and watch her go down. Didn't have any of the latter this year.

Cal 36 #54
Ida Rose
post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2010
Sundance 23

Well, technically, it's the end of my first season, however I'm extending it through the winter.

I've learned a ton this first year. I'm going to try and stay active.

The boat is close and the Columbia River is an excellent place to sail.

Glad you had more fun this year than last.

Water is Life
post #8 of 10 Old 11-02-2010

Usually I find the first season pretty frustrating, interspersed with joy. With this boat I was calmer, never doubting my decision to buy. I don't know if I've become a better sailor or just calming down as I get older.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-02-2010

Like anything else in life. Experience makes all the difference in the world. The more you are out there the easier it becomes. Sailing is an art, and after 20+ years of owning my own boast, and sailing 20k miles of ocean. I know I am still, and always will be learning..........i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

post #10 of 10 Old 11-02-2010
Sundance 23

Quote:
In the first year there were days when I grinned ear to ear and days when I wanted to shoot holes in the bottom and watch her go down. Didn't have any of the latter this year.
My feelings exactly, many times this, my first year.

id2, every time I get out there I'm more confident, get things done easier, faster.

Water is Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in