SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Possible 27' Bluewater Boats (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/73628-possible-27-bluewater-boats.html)

Barquito 04-14-2011 02:52 PM

Alberg designed most of his boats in a fashion after the Folkboat (Bristol 27, Pearson Triton). Long keel with attached rudder, narrow beam.

Momopad - Is your Folkboat more tender without the weight of the motor down low?

JimPendoley 04-14-2011 05:02 PM

Pearson Vanguard aws Inexpensive Bluewater Cruiser

I only have coastal sailing experieince, but I know of many Vanguards (32 feet)that have made much longer voyages. Three young college grads circumnavigated in one a few years back. Phil Rhodes was the designer and he was one of the best. It is a stoughtly built but easy on the eyes CCA design. I know for a fact you could buy one close to ready to go for 10K. Frequently appear on ebay and there are always some on yachtworld. There is also an extremely active users group on Yahoogroups.

Watch for wet core under the decks, will prolly come with a gas atomic 4 engine, but its a good and quite safe design. Ice box needs upgrading, tankage is only 40 gallons but thats doable.
Sails well off the wind, slower into it and you beat at 55 degrees to the wind

I have the dinette layout and opinions vary widely on whether it is more comfortable than the standard aft galley layout, but I can tell you I have lived aboard (winter too, I insulated) in New England for seven years and it has been quite comfortable.

jdham137 04-14-2011 05:35 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies! My plans are to to some very serious sailing in about 8 or nine years when the kids are out of college. I've only done coastal cruising in the gulf of Mexico about 45 miles off shore but want to someday sail across the Atlantic to the med for a couple years then maybe circumnavigate spending time in china, Thailand, Korea, and Japan. My timeline will give me plenty of time to find the boat I want at a price I can afford and get it ready and get myself ready to do some serious sailing. I'm a fan of the rugged individualist sailing style of Lynn and Larry pardey and will emulate them much as I can. I plan to keep everything as simple as possible to make a small boat feasible. Thanks for the advice and if anyone has anything else to add please do so.

John David

Memopad 04-15-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barquito (Post 720495)
Alberg designed most of his boats in a fashion after the Folkboat (Bristol 27, Pearson Triton). Long keel with attached rudder, narrow beam.

Momopad - Is your Folkboat more tender without the weight of the motor down low?

I don't have anything to compare it to, but i don't think so. I think the majority of the folkboats weren't built as inboards anyway. The boat likes to heel a bit but once it hits 20-30 degrees it just stops and becomes steady as a rock. I've never sailed a boat that tracks anything like the folkboat. Hands off the tiller 30 minutes at a time with no change in course, i love it.

Indevolatile 04-16-2011 04:29 AM

I'd keep an eye out for an old Columbia 24 or 29, both of which have circumnavigated. They tend to be a bit lesser known than the Albergs or Pearsons, but just as solid. In fact, the dimensions of the S&S designed 29 are almost identical to that of the Alberg 30 and Triton.

I'm currently on the lookout for a C-29 myself, preferably a raised-deck model.

omaho5 04-16-2011 09:15 AM

I'm partial to CD 27. That said, you will be paying somewhat more than 10K.
CD also makes a 22 and a 25D, both excellent boats. I own a CD22 and love it.

tomperanteau 04-16-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indevolatile (Post 720951)
I'd keep an eye out for an old Columbia 24 or 29, both of which have circumnavigated. They tend to be a bit lesser known than the Albergs or Pearsons, but just as solid. In fact, the dimensions of the S&S designed 29 are almost identical to that of the Alberg 30 and Triton.

I'm currently on the lookout for a C-29 myself, preferably a raised-deck model.

The old Columbias were well-built unless you get into the mid 1970's. Although some will tell you that those are built, too.

I have a 1969 C36 that is a Crealock design and is very sturdy and fast. She's been back and forth to Hawaii a number of time, but not on my watch. I had to install a new holding tank vent, and I when drilling I noted that the hull was around 3/8" and that was way above the waterline. They used woven fiberglass mat, which I think also added to the strength.

LakeSuperiorGeezer 04-19-2011 04:36 PM

It's rare to find a sailboat with trailer in the 27 foot range. So, what you need to do is buy the trailer first, something to haul it home with. Be careful to get one made for salt water with aluminum or galvanized frame, and galvanized brakes and fittings. If you want to launch without a crane, get the bunk type. Most sailboat trailers are adjustable and are not custom made to a particular boat. For 27 to 28 footer you will need a trailer good for about 7500 pounds of sailboat, maybe a little more. The trailer and some boating items will be about 1700 pounds, so the truck should be up to towing 9200 pounds or maybe more. This requires at least a 3/4 ton with a larger engine. Check online to make sure what you have is up to the job. The owner’s manual will also tell you what the tow limits are. Get something with a trailer package. The trailer used is going to take about a third of your budget.

Mark F 04-20-2011 01:59 AM

Hi John David,

There is a Nor'Sea for sale in the Monterey Bay area. It's got an unusual rig but the price is right. Home Page

tomperanteau 04-20-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark F (Post 722047)
Hi John David,

There is a Nor'Sea for sale in the Monterey Bay area. It's got an unusual rig but the price is right. Home Page

Wow, and what appears to be an honest seller.