Transporting a Snark Sailboat -- Need Some Advice - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2011 Thread Starter

Transporting a Snark Sailboat -- Need Some Advice

I've been wanting to learn to sail for a while now and after some research, I decided a snark was an easy and cheap place to start. My only concern at this point however, is transportation.

I currently drive a two-door Chevy Colbalt that does not have a mounted roof rack. Due to budget constraints, I was wondering if it would be possible to safely secure this small boat to my car. The Snark is only approximately 10 feet long, weighs 50 pounds and has a flat bottom, so it seems plausible this could be accomplished without shelling out the extra money for a rack. Anyone have experience with such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2011

Snark was my first boat. it was made entirely out of Styrofoam so it shouldn't scratch the car much. My Snark broke apart in 10 foot surf, we shouldn't have been sailing that close to the breakers, not sure how yours will hold up in 65mph winds. I think if you drive slowly to calm water you'll be ok.

GreenFlash35
post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2011

I am sure you can get an aftermarket rack. Or, if you want something cheaper, something like this would work:

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2011
Above 5 knots

Dock
My first boat, purchased 29 years ago, was a styrofoam snark. It is still functional today. My brother travelled from NC to PA with it and another one (a fiberglassed snark), on the roof of his Pontiac Sunbird!

Put soft foam pieces under it... put it bottom side up, strap the girth, bow and stern, and drive. It'll be fine.

Snarks are great boats to learn on. As the wind pipes up, they just bend! This picture is my brother, whose 10 years OLDER than me, sailing his glassed Snark on the ocean at the outter banks. I helped him launch it that day. He brought along (mind you I turned 38 the year this was taken) my original foam snark from when I was 11, to sail as well.

Then sail it on BLUE WATER like this!

Last edited by SailingUphill; 08-19-2011 at 09:01 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Snarks are winderful!

Do it like Schnool says and you'll be good. For foam padding those little foam feet work well.

Like other posters here I learned on a styrofoam Snark. Was a little wet and crowded with 4 young adults, but basically ignored the 100% overload and happily sailed anyway. When we were more rational and just sailed it as a couple it performed admirably.

Happy Snarking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-19-2011
Above 5 knots

Dock
Did I mention my brother loved that snark so, he built that sail for it? He paid $75 for the boat (sail was functional but wore out), so he could RACE his son on my old one! Fond memories of those ratty old boats.

4 in one? Ok, that is crazy but doable. Brother has a Newport 17 now, had a US 25 before. I am up to a Capri 22... but we still love the "old ways."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in