SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Favorite Sailing Magazines?

5K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  mwayne25 
#1 ·
What are your favorite sailing magazines? I like eye candy, especially for the winter - and information of course. I'll be studying all the basic sailing books and brushing up on knot tying and general maintenance, but would also like to have some less techincal info too - and start fantasizing about a bigger boat for blue water cruising.:laugher

Aside from the eye candy, my interests are cruising, liveaboard, etc. I've seen "Blue Water" and "Yachting" - what else do you people recommend/enjoy?

Thanks,
Jack

#2 ·
Latitudes & Attitudes makes my list as does the Cruising Helmsman. The latter is somewhat focused on Australia/Australians but L&A is also an entertaining and informative read when I get it (haven't subscribed and it's hit & miss whether our news-agencies have it around here).

I've read a few issues of Sail which I found OK, but I wouldn't know if it is consistently that good or whether I happened to pick a good issue -shrug-

#6 ·
Big 'Uns

#8 ·
I subscribe to:

Blue Water Sailing
Ocean Navigator (free with SSCA membership)
Practical Sailor
DIY Boat Owner
Good Old Boat
GNSS (free print magazine for GPS nerds. I understand .05% of the articles)
Soundings
Sail
Sailing World
Sailing World
Cruising World
Yachting Monthly
Yachting World
Practical Boat Owner
Mainsheet (Catalina owners magazine)

Free Online
Spinsheet (Chesapeake Bay)
Southwinds (South Florida)
All At Sea (Caribbean)
Latitude 38
Classic Yacht

I gave up on Latitudes and Attitudes last year.

#12 ·
DRFerron - you could buy two more boats with CASH if you cancelled your subscriptions! lol...
And you just asked for the sailing magazines. :) I read most using Zinio so no, my house does not look like Hoarders. :D

Reactions: veprjack
#11 ·
Sail without a doubt. Kimball Livingston, Nigel Calder, Don Casey, etc. etc. That is a whole lot of knowledge across a wide spectrum of Sailing. I like to race, but also cruise sometimes, and most of the other rags are sure that their type of Sailing (racing vs cruising, old boats vs new boats) is the right kind, and kind of just disregard everything that does not fit in their view of the "right kind" of sailing.

#13 ·
DR - One of my best friends (a published author) suggested the name "Halcyon" for my boat! It's a GREAT name, but I may listen to my heart over the winter as I get to know my girl!

Yes - reading while Zinioing is a win-win endeavor!

#14 ·
... but I may listen to my heart over the winter as I get to know my girl!
That's best.

The boat was named Halcyon when we bought her. I researched previous owners and discovered that her first name was "Sea Hag" so we're happy with Halcyon. :D

Beware renaming the boat. I had serious bad luck after renaming my first boat even with all the proper ceremonies.

#31 · (Edited)
fecal - fecal - what the heck

fecal turbulations....Jonesy boyo what are you saying here

this is such a great play on words I shall have to nick the phrase and re-cycle it for future you

of course what you meant to say was "vocal tribulations"

fecal turbulations are obvioulsy what happens when you pump the old Jabsco

Dylan

PS in a lifetime of badly paid hackery small craft advisor is the most most splendid and abstemious publication of all. They give me a completely free hand to write whatever I like - and bless them for that. They also have a policy of paying their contributors quickly but badly - and bless them for that too

#16 ·
Great replies - I will have PLENTY to read for the winter! Maybe I'll even know something after I come out of hibernation?

Yes DR - I will be careful about renaming - the PO is encouraging me to rename it. "C'est Magnifique" is OK, but it's not calling to me. PO's wife is Francais, so...

#34 ·
Yeah, not TOOOOO bad a mag, or reviews.........wait a minute........

I think someone is greasing the stick here!

Frankly, I am surprised no one else has mentioned this one. I do like it. Do not always liek the review boat choices.....but that is another story and issue. I can say the same for ANY rag that reviews boats, as not all of them are what I personally want etc.

Reality is, buy some off the shelf, try those you can not via subscription, you will figure out which you like best for the info you want. All frankly have good and bad. Also look at the local freebies if available, like for me, 48north and Yachting have good info for stuff here in the NW. I've read Lat38, has good info, but most is related to S Cal, similar format but more pages than 48north.

GOB is ok, altho I should probably say more positive, as my boat was a review boat. I've helped arrainge 4-5 other boats since thru my local club/marina. I do like the newer articles BP is doing on designs and info about it. Its ok, but the reviews to a degree are a bit same o same o.

Pacific yachting is another local NW US/SW BC aimed rag that is good too.

I get Sailing, sail, sailing world by subscription. I'll pickup a woodenboat upon occasion, still remember when that first came out.........

Marty

#20 ·
I just ordered SAIL and Good Old Boat to start with. Since I have around 9 LARGE books about sailing/reparing, etc. to get through, it will be nice to take a break for eye candy!

"French Delight" sounds good. Maybe "Shrink Wrapped" cause I'm in the psych business OR "Comic Relief" cause my paying hobby is writing for standup comics? With all this spinning around in my head in addition to, DOWNSIZING/Selling my stuff, LIVING ABOARD and moving to a different clinic - SHEESH! Maybe "Big Changes" or "Life Altering" would be appropriate? Or "Impulsive" - lol...

#22 ·
Perhaps "DSM-IV"?? :eek:
"Sea Zone"
"Trance Portal" (I'm also a hypnotist) - get bored easily - apparently...
"Fathom Less"
"Home Run" for my Red Sox fanatics :D
"Changing Winds"
"Windlass Summer" Naw - might be a jinx...

NOTHING jumps out at me - and I used to name products/companies for "The Naming Company" when I was a consultant. Hmmm - there's that jumping around thing again. I try to pass it off as experience or a Z-Path Career, but...:laugher

Magazines - I remember someone mentioned magazines...

#26 · (Edited)
"Speed Ball" has its drawbacks... Like maybe inviting more scrutiny from the CG and/or Harbor Patrol? Some whacko on Martha's Vineyard had a Cigarette boat named, "Nose Candy" - probably spent some time proving he had enough life jackets on board - lol...

How about, "Nature's Prozac" or "Water Hookah"?

Trouble focusing? Naw - I can focus on each and every career and endeavor I've ever jumped into - for at least a year! Luckily, one builds on the other for me. I don't see how one could spend quality time with clients with mental disorders and NOT have a sense of humor, for instance. "Do NOT suicide Mr. Jones - the paperwork would KILL ME!" "I have multiple personalities - and so do I" (now called Dissociative Identity Disorder - which is BORING).

So, I ordered more magazines and am very excited!

OH, the owner of my uncle's marina on Cape Cod - his last name was salt, so his boat was NaCl2

#27 ·
Just added Cruising World to my "collection". I think that will be it for today, or I'll pass DR F!

Thanks for the great advice - and for the laughs - and for the boat name suggestions!

#30 ·
UK based Particle Boat Owner and Yachting Monthly are always worth a look.
2 months into a digital annual subscription to Sailing Today and slightly disappointed so far.
Also read Sail-World.com and Afloat on line.
Safe sailing

#33 ·
bljones wrote - "fecal turbulations". I can just see and hear Beavis and Butthead saying, "He said FECAL - snicker snicker!"

I read about that cleaning procedure - Empty holding tank 1/2 way, pour in detergent and take her out in heavy seas until bubbles come up out of the toilet! GREAT way to clean her out! I am learning so much on this forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.