Thinking of trading my 32-year old in for a 16-year old - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-30-2011 Thread Starter

Thinking of trading my 32-year old in for a 16-year old

I am presently sailing a Nash 26' (1979) she's my first boat and I like her a lot.

I am going to look at a Beneteau Oceanis 281 (1995) on Saturday. She is quite a bit newer and a little bigger.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Beneteau?

I sail on Georgian Bay. Last summer I practically lived on my boat (I was only home 8 nights all summer.) The Nash was very comfortable, so the increased size is not the main issue (but it won't hurt).

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

Visualize the vastness of the oceans; the infinity of the heavens; the fickleness of the wind; the artistry of the craft and the frailty of the sailor. The oneness that may be achieved through the harmony of these things may lead one to enlightenment. - Flying Welshman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-30-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

I think you will enjoy the extra space and will sail a lot faster which will give you more range. If the loonies allow it - go for it. Not sure about a 16 year old - barely legal to drive.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-30-2011
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Chalk and cheese. I'm not knocking the Nash but if the money side is doable then you would be silly not to trade up. The B281 has to be in every way a step up.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-30-2011

Oh yes; Now your cheating on thr old girl ! Whats this water coming to? You know you will miss the reliability of her, the knowledge, and the security> If you trade your supposed to get two! --Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #5 of 14 Old 12-01-2011

In 1985 I tried to reform myself and quit sailing, in 1994 I weakened and went sailing for a week to help a friend deliver a new Bene. In that time the inboard diesel, self tailing winches, reliable furlers, wheel steering, GPS etc. etc. had been discovered. I couldn't resist and had bought another boat within 6 months, my theory now is bigger and newer is probably a good thing in most cases.

"Just call me TB"
post #6 of 14 Old 12-01-2011

We've done over a thousand miles on an early 2000s Bene 36.7 island hopping in the Caribbean...this will be a higher performance boat that what you're looking at but I've always been impressed by the fit and finish below (lots of standard parts with all models)

Even in the 25 knot winds and big swells off St Vincent and in Bequia channel there were no creaks and groans... the boat seems solid. Of course in those conditions the 36.7 goes like a BOOH!!

This boat travels the chain for 6 months out of every year and now, 10 years on is holding up really well and has had no major issues at all.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 14 Old 12-01-2011

She appears to be a good looking, well equipped boat. I'm not a big fan of the microwave, I'd rather have a stove, but there's little else for me to quibble about.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-01-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
She appears to be a good looking, well equipped boat. I'm not a big fan of the microwave, I'd rather have a stove, but there's little else for me to quibble about.
Yeah, the microwave will be heading ashore PDQ. I spoke with the seller and he still has the gimballed fitting for the stove (but no stove).
I'm going for a looksee on Saturday.
So far it seems as though this could be a good fit.
We'll see...

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

Visualize the vastness of the oceans; the infinity of the heavens; the fickleness of the wind; the artistry of the craft and the frailty of the sailor. The oneness that may be achieved through the harmony of these things may lead one to enlightenment. - Flying Welshman
post #9 of 14 Old 12-01-2011
old guy :)

I read the title and though "He bloody well better be talking about boats and not kids!"

Rik

Irwin Citation 34
Mystery
post #10 of 14 Old 12-01-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
I read the title and though "He bloody well better be talking about boats and not kids!"

Rik
or wives I suppose.

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in