Beneteau First 367 for Coastal Cruising - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 12-14-2011

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I stand corrected that not all C&C 110 have the carbon fiber masts as that was only the PERFERRED option available at the time. Even though the one you see for sale does not, most of my firneds who own 110 or 115 including many in my C&C sailing club have the carbon fiber mast.

In terms of PHRF ratings I will stand by what I posted as I am using the PHRF determined by USPHRF Affiliated Fleets not the local or egional PHRF ratings of your area which can be greatly skewed by a few non skilled racers if there are not many of the type of sailboat ranked. The ratings I quoted are by the United States Sailing association, the sanctioning body for the regional associations which use a broader spectrum that the regional associations. That being said as Mid stated they are very close performance wise. In my small amount of racing on the Chessapeake the C&C 110 or 115 do not take a back seat to many and certainly none of the Bennetaus of comparable size and PHRF ratings. I beleive yhe hardware on the C&C us a small amunt superior.

Here is the link in case anyone ever wants to check their PHRF ratings

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...er+19+2011.pdf

Mid...I agree the cruising amenities are nicer on the 110 vs the 367 Bene First. The reason I would not look at the newer C&C is the quality control problems they have had since joining up with Tartan as well as their warrenty issues. I love the older ones ( obviously) just as I liked the older tartans ( pre 1998). When they both went to the epoxy process there were structural issues well documented along with a number of lawsuits which we are not allowed to discuss here on Sailnet which caused many reputable Sailnet members to leave this forum.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I stand corrected that not all C&C 110 have the carbon fiber masts as that was only the PERFERRED option available at the time. Even though the one you see for sale does not, most of my firneds who own 110 or 115 including many in my C&C sailing club have the carbon fiber mast.

In terms of PHRF ratings I will stand by what I posted as I am using the PHRF determined by USPHRF Affiliated Fleets not the local or egional PHRF ratings of your area which can be greatly skewed by a few non skilled racers if there are not many of the type of sailboat ranked. The ratings I quoted are by the United States Sailing association, the sanctioning body for the regional associations which use a broader spectrum that the regional associations. That being said as Mid stated they are very close performance wise. In my small amount of racing on the Chessapeake the C&C 110 or 115 do not take a back seat to many and certainly none of the Bennetaus of comparable size and PHRF ratings. I beleive yhe hardware on the C&C us a small amunt superior.

Here is the link in case anyone ever wants to check their PHRF ratings

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...er+19+2011.pdf

Mid...I agree the cruising amenities are nicer on the 110 vs the 367 Bene First. The reason I would not look at the newer C&C is the quality control problems they have had since joining up with Tartan as well as their warrenty issues. I love the older ones ( obviously) just as I liked the older tartans ( pre 1998). When they both went to the epoxy process there were structural issues well documented along with a number of lawsuits which we are not allowed to discuss here on Sailnet which caused many reputable Sailnet members to leave this forum.

Dave
Yeah, Tartan certainly hurt themselves pretty badly with the way they handled at least that one problematic boat and perhaps others as well. I haven't heard of the same kinds of issues with C&C's despite the common ownership.

I do hope the current Tartan/C&C ownership is able to repair their reputation and return to turning out quality boats.

I too love the older Tartans (almost bought a 37, crewed on, and would love to own a 40) . Although I like the looks of the new ones, they would not be on my post lottery shopping list, mainly due to what I consider funky interiors (even if we ignore the possiblity of quality issues).

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #23 of 43 Old 12-15-2011

The article below about cruising a First 36.7 is interesting reading.

| Sailing World

Last edited by JimsCAL; 12-15-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: fixed typo

post #24 of 43 Old 12-15-2011
I don't discuss my member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
The 367 you do have the potential to race 1d at races like the NOODs, where as the 110 there are not enough boats local to do so. If you want a potential 1d race, get a 115, there are enough of those.
Marty
There is no OD racing on the bay for the 115. I raced on one all last year, not enough boats. Those that have them, don't race too often.

The 367 is a dieing class for OD racing. This past year was evidence of that. OD racing on the Ches bay is growing thin, and its certainly the case for large boats.

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"
post #25 of 43 Old 12-15-2011
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
There is no OD racing on the bay for the 115. I raced on one all last year, not enough boats. Those that have them, don't race too often.

The 367 is a dieing class for OD racing. This past year was evidence of that. OD racing on the Ches bay is growing thin, and its certainly the case for large boats.

That sucks. I'd love to get 5 or 6 Pearson 30's together for a rumble.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #26 of 43 Old 12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post

As C2S pointed out with the ratings of these boats, things depend upon the area. Neither the C&C 115 or B 36.7 class's have been strong here in puget sound, but both get a race or two ea year, as between boats here in the US side and BC side of the salish sea do get together at times.

But I would agree, bigger 1d racing seems to be dying out, probably due to cost more than anything.

For local, if one wants a 1d race, one is better of with a J105 or 109 at times. J30's sometimes get off 1d starts. There is also a level 72 group, which include Express 37's, J35, santana 35's and a few 36.7's squeak in too, as do 115's IIRC.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #27 of 43 Old 12-15-2011
KNOT KNOWN

beneteau 27.7 first

I deliverd a "beneteau 27 first" from Key West to Columbia and have become true believer in thier blue water capabilities. From Key West to Jamacia we we're taking on water from somewhere. It turned out to be through the rudder post well. The owners had put a five man life raft on the stern, weighting it down so the top of the rudder well was at water line. In heavy sea's, water would splash over the top. I reached in with my left hand and wrapped the well with a sheet of closed cell foam and 5200/ hose calmps and raised the top of the well a foot above the waterline. The vovlo penta water pump crapped out in Jamacia so I sailed from the dock in Port Antonio to the Club Nautico in Cartagenia with no engine. The last 200 miles where 15 to 20 foot sea's with 3 foot chop on top of them. That little boat was right at home in those conditions. If the 27 can handle it, the larger "First's" are only that much better!

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-15-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spellng
post #28 of 43 Old 12-15-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks again to all. These posts have been a great help in my quest to find the right boat for me and my family.
Faster likes this.
post #29 of 43 Old 12-15-2011

Beneteau 36.7's would be great for cruising. We pass them all the time.
post #30 of 43 Old 12-20-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Beneteau 36.7's would be great for cruising. We pass them all the time.
I bet you pass them twice, usually on Sunday's, on your way out to the Bouy's, and on your way back to the marina as they head out to sea. Ofcourse, what do I know, all I've ever raced is the weather and sometimes the tide.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-20-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in