Hi I looked at the photos
I don't think splitting in half is a concern with most Danica/Nordicas
THe metal strip is just a keel protector. Some Nordicas have them running the entire length of the keel front to back. I can see a few patches/repairs on the keel but with a well-used looking Danica like that one it's not entirely surprising and nice to know someone was paying attention and patching it up. I have a small section I did on mine too. On the ebay Danica I would be more concerned about these items:
- The top of the rudder(cheeks I think they're called) look non original and like they're conventional plywood, also it looks like it's a little too big/tall. The tiller shouldn't flop down onto the back of the cockpit like that.
-I would ask/check out the cabin sole. Somebody has added something to the cockpit floor around the bottom of the compression post. A common problem in both Nordicas and Danicas is soggy floatation foam.
-THe top of the cabin looks oddly flecked with black..is the gellcoat worn through or cracking or is paint overspray, I can't tell
-the bright work all needs to be done(some body painted it blue..ick!) I like doing this sort of thing on a little boat so no big deal, i had to do mine and it was quite pleasing.
- Why is the motor mount facing sideways???
- What are the sails like? there's no mention of Sails?
new sails for a Danica could run up to $1200-1500!!?
- It was one of the models with the inboard outboard,(thus the cutaway rudder) the builder/designer Peter Hahn told me they made a few like that but it didn't work out to well with the 2 stroke outboards they had at the time, too smokey on the cabin, that's not a minus though, it could work well with an electric or 4 stroke though it's likely been glassed in
- Nice trailer and many other good points too, pulpit and pushpit!
Danicas are great boats, I really love mine!! It's on the Nordica 16 yahoo site in the Nutmeg or piracy photo folder
I would ask a tonne of questions if i wasn't able to see it first hand
Where are you located
There's one for sale in Vancouver(where they were built...only 25 made!)
********Sailboat for sale - includes moorage - $3900