IWhat I *supremely* fear is that people will see this as validation that any ol' production boat...regardless of things like age and condition...is capable of crossing Capes at any time. "See...Sequitor did it and its a Hunter, just like this 1975 Hunter 30 I'm thinking of getting for $2000 off of Craigslist."
Context is everything here...especially when you're talking about crossing Capes & Oceans. I have said that I would, myself, take any large new production boat near anywhere in the world. I would *NOT* take an old, ex-charter production boat across the Gulfstream to the Bahamas let alone Cape Horn. Not at least having done a lot of work to fix 'er up.
Since I'm probably partially responsible for kicking off this Huntersteria, let me chime in a bit here.
Your example above, through intended to be hyperbolic and humurous, is actually what underlies what I think is a lot of "bad", or at least outdated advice. In other words, it's the fear of encouraging someone to do something insanely stupid like the scenario you lay out above.
My take on this issue is that I believe the vast majority of people (95%?) are not as stupid or gullible as this thinking suggests. BUT, what happens is that the pendulum in this debate swings all the way to the other side - and becomes just as ridiculous as your Craigslist hyperbole above (ONLY Cabo Ricos, full keels, skeg hung rudders, real sea berths, etc.). Hunters become impotent coastal cruisers that should never be taken far from shore - and Catalinas, Benes, Jennes, etc., though slightly better received, are not far behind.
All I'm trying to point out is that that hyperbolic stance, though based on something eemingly good (protecting stupid people) does far more damage than good.
proved two things:
1. Modern production boats - EVEN HUNTERS - can go anywhere.
2. It's the sailor, and his/her abilities, knowledge, and experience - that makes this possible. (Have you seen how conservatively - and intelligently - Michael sails?)
As for the 5% of stupid people, they're going to be stupid no matter what one says. I don't think that overly conservative and antiquated logic should be used to screw up the other 95% of the market.