Ok so... - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 72 Old 02-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
So..... a question for JonE

If Michael was suddenly unable to do the next leg for, say, personal reasons - would you be willing to take Sequiter, as is, to Capetown for him?

Sorry to put you on the spot
Yes, absolutely! Hell, Tristan de Cunha is probably tops on my list of places I'll likely never make it to, this would be my best shot at it!

Well, OK, upon further reflection... (grin)

Great question, that would certainly be a fascinating prospect... As far as the BOAT, is concerned, I'd have no hesitation whatsoever... I'm certain SEQUITUR is capable, and superbly prepped for such a trip, far more so than many boats I've delivered in the past...

Such a trip would be all about the crew, for me... give me a sailor like Herb McCormick to come along, or a few of the other best sailors I know, I'd be feeling reasonably confident about the prospects for such a voyage... Main problem might be, could Michael afford the sort of talent I'd want to assemble? (grin)

Actually, I would have one serious reservation... Not about the boat per se, but rather simply its SIZE... If we could shrink SEQUITUR down to 42 feet or thereabouts for the trip, I'd feel a lot more comfortable... At this point of my life, that big a boat is a bit more than I really feel comfortable with offshore... When stuff breaks or things start getting dicey, the forces can so quickly overwhelm your physical ability to manage them, and I must confess I wouldn't be entirely comfortable without at least a couple of VOR vets or similar aboard, to do any heavy lifting in a pinch...

I know I'm in the minority these days, but I'm just not really comfortable sailing boats of that size offshore... Of course, I have to do it from time to time, of course, but always breathe a sigh of relief when I can walk away unscathed... Sure wish there were more calls to deliver boats of a "reasonable" size these days, but that certainly isn't the trend...

This is all moot, anyway... Michael is obviously a very smart guy, and he could easily find someone far more qualified for such a venture, than yours truly... (grin)
Faster likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-08-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 72 Old 02-08-2012

Thanks Jon... I get the impression though, that Michael probably could afford it .. but would be unlikely to want anyone else to do it...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in