Albertan rescued after dismasting / engine failure - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 62 Old 02-21-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I've seen it here, and elsewhere, repeatedly - this yearning for absolutes, and the tendency to assert that someone (the Bumfuzzles, for instance) have "proven" something that applies to all... How does a single voyage, like that of your friend's, PROVE anything regarding the infinite number of possibilities that can conspire to determine the success or failure of every other single venture aboard a small boat, on a big ocean? How do we know, for example, that your friend - by sheer dumb luck - just happened to miss hitting a floating container by a couple of feet in the middle of some black night, 1000 miles out of Hawaii? Had she been 10 feet one way or the other, her boat might have been on the way to the bottom in less than a minute?

What, then, would that have "proven"? Something rather different, more all-encompassing, than "it ain't the boat", perhaps? (grin)
I'm probably one of those "absolutists". But here's the kicker - I'm not.

See, what I'm arguing by presenting cases like the Bumfuzzles, Ronnie Simpson, and Michael (though he's head-and-shoulders above the other examples in terms of experience and seamanship) is that there are no absolutes when it comes to skippers, boats, and even seaworthiness - in the big picture. Yet, the long-held stance that, for example, a Hunter is not a blue water boat, or that "inexperienced" sailors will surely die out there and/or kill SAR personnel who have to rescue them, etc. is based on pretty "absolute" conclusions. Right?

So, it's funny to see you write the above. It's precisely my point. It's never "either/or".

The difference is, your starting point is death and destruction (e.g. - unwittingly missing the container by 3 feet). And, sure there are examples of that - the dudes in this thread being one.

But there are actually many more examples of successful voyages where everyone is happy and having fun and staying safe and getting there and back - even in Yorktowns...even in storms. It's just never absolute. That's provable.

It's the 99% vs. 1% mentality. And the 99%ers drive the 1%ers crazy.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-21-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 62 Old 02-21-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I thought that too... but I also think that highlights their inexperience and lack of preparation. Most amazing is the calmness with which the father discusses floating adrift with his young boy, at night, in seriously windy conditions awaiting rescue.. It's almost as if, even then, the seriousness of the situation hadn't hit home.

But... we weren't there, they could have still been in some form of shock from their ordeal. I think the major story here is apparent success of the AMVER concept, and the impressive seamanship and persistence of the crew of the container ship in keeping the two in sight and actually getting close enough to recover them in nasty conditions - conditions that probably made any idea of deploying a lifeboat untenable....
One thing I noticed in the interviews was that the ship's crew apparently threw several pfds w/strobes into the water. The survivors also had pfds with strobes. This seems like a dangerous combination - and a potential mistake. It seems that the dad and kid were actually visible amongst all the noise because he found his flashlight floating - giving the guys on the ship a different signal to see.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in