SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Albertan rescued after dismasting / engine failure (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/83681-albertan-rescued-after-dismasting-engine-failure.html)

jackdale 02-09-2012 12:50 PM

Albertan rescued after dismasting / engine failure
 
Quote:

Three Canadians whose sailboat was caught in a violent storm in the Pacific Ocean have arrived safely in Honolulu after a night-time rescue by a American container ship.

The three, including a nine-year-old boy, were attempting to cross from Puerto Vallerto, Mexico, to Hawaii but were adrift with no power and their sails destroyed.

Canadians sailors rescued from sinking ship in stormy Pacific - The Globe and Mail

Crewm8 02-09-2012 12:54 PM

Read this article this morning. It seemed to me like they just had no clue keeping their sails up in 40+ kt winds!

jackdale 02-09-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crewm8 (Post 828884)
Read this article this morning. It seemed to me like they just had no clue keeping their sails up in 40+ kt winds!

Which article did you read? Link?

The reports is that they are from Calgary - I do not know them.

killarney_sailor 02-09-2012 01:07 PM

Newspaper reports about sailboat issues are rarely accurate or complete. From this article it is very hard to know exactly what happened. Not that familiar with the area between Mexico and Hawaii but I would have thought the water warm enough that hypothermia would not have been an issue in that time frame.

Then of course, there is the whole issue of people from Calgary sailing at all - they should be riding horses. :)

jackdale 02-09-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 828902)

Then of course, there is the whole issue of people from Calgary sailing at all - they should be riding horses. :)

The vast majority of my clients / students are from Calgary, even on courses that I had no part in organizing. About 50% of boat slips in BC belong to Albertans. Calgary and Edmonton are common ports of call on transoms. It leads to some interesting comments.

smackdaddy 02-09-2012 01:32 PM

78 Attachment(s)
Jack - if you don't mind I'm going to add that to the Ship Rescues thread. Thanks for posting it.

jameswilson29 02-09-2012 01:33 PM

Yet another instance of the Americans saving the Canadians' bacon...

casey1999 02-09-2012 01:39 PM

The weather here in Hawaii has been severe the last couple days. We have a swell from Alaska area causing 20 foot + seas and on top of that a 18 foot + wind swell. Rouge waves could be close to 40 feet and breaking. On top of that the waves are coming from different directions.

This type of conditions would strain almost any sailor. Even at the dock your boat is at risk. Been checking mine and others on the dock 2x a day. Yesterday a 40 foot fishing boat broke 1-1/2 dock line and was ready to bang the boat next to it- tied it off again. Also helped friend secure her 40 footer as two 1 inch dock lines had broken. This is all due to high winds and wave surge. I understand on Maui 3 boats have broken moorings and run aground, along with a commercial sailing catamaran whom lost engine going into channel.

jackdale 02-09-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 828919)
Yet another instance of the Americans saving the Canadians' bacon...

It is appreciated. Of course, Canadian bacon is a delicacy.

casey1999 02-09-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 828902)
Newspaper reports about sailboat issues are rarely accurate or complete. From this article it is very hard to know exactly what happened. Not that familiar with the area between Mexico and Hawaii but I would have thought the water warm enough that hypothermia would not have been an issue in that time frame.

Then of course, there is the whole issue of people from Calgary sailing at all - they should be riding horses. :)

Water temp in that area less than 75 deg F. With wind chill and your head wet you would not last long.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome