Another Maryland Fee Increase - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 Old 02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
What the [expletive of your choice] does this mean?

The fees would apply to boats that arenít registered in Maryland, but are state-documented vessels because they are primarily used here.
I think the reporter is trying to say it applies to USCG Documented boats berthed in MD waters as well as boats that are only registered with the State.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 02-17-2012
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Bob Gaudette, director of Maryland DNR's Boating Service talked about all these wonderful projects. He talked of keeping the waterways ice free during the winter. WHAT! Are you kidding me? The only ice breaking done by DNR is done for commercial fishing interests--not recreational boaters. Recreational boaters have their boats on the hard this time of year and that's where they've been since cold weather set in.
I won't argue the cost effectiveness but I can say for sure that DNR does break ice in Back Creek Annapolis in winter. I saw one of the boats go by (I don't remember the name, but it was named a after a man). I was able to get out to go sailing (which I do all year round) through the open channel.

So FACT: there is DNR ice-breaking and FACT: not all recreational boaters have their boats pulled in cold weather and FACT: some of use our boats year round.

I'm not sure breaking ice for me is a good use of tax payer dollars, but that isn't what you were talking about.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 33 Old 02-17-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

MA has proposed a second annual excise tax for boats which would be 4-6 times larger than the current excise rate, and to charge both fees annually.

Certified...in several regards...

post #14 of 33 Old 02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I won't argue the cost effectiveness but I can say for sure that DNR does break ice in Back Creek Annapolis in winter. I saw one of the boats go by (I don't remember the name, but it was named a after a man). I was able to get out to go sailing (which I do all year round) through the open channel.

So FACT: there is DNR ice-breaking and FACT: not all recreational boaters have their boats pulled in cold weather and FACT: some of use our boats year round.

I'm not sure breaking ice for me is a good use of tax payer dollars, but that isn't what you were talking about.
Dave, DNR has been breaking relatively thin ice for quite some time, however, their ice breaking activities was not for the recreational boating community or industry--it was strictly for commercial purposes, mainly so commercial watermen could get out to the open waters of the bay and gill-net striped bass (rockfish) and tong for oysters. However, the recreational boating community is being asked to pay for this, which is essentially taxation without representation. We, the recreational boating community and recreational boating industry, are being asked to subsidize the commercial fishing industry in Chesapeake Bay.

And, you are right, not all recreational boats are pulled for the winter. Some stay in the water at marinas where bubbler systems and ice eaters keep the marina ice free. Do you believe DNR is opening those tiny creeks for you to go sailing, or did the guy who ventured out take advantage of the situation created by DNR's ice breaker opening the channel for the commercial watermen? I believe the latter is the case.

Now, lets say that the sailboat becomes stranded out there in the bay's open waters because ill winds and a huge drop in temperature caused the channel to freeze over again. And, if those commercial watermen were safely back at the dock, to you honestly believe DNR would send the ice breaker out to clear a channel back to your marina? I doubt it! I think they would have you anchor your boat, put you onboard their rescue craft and take you to the nearest, open stretch of shore, then send you a massive bill. And, if you didn't pay the bill, the taxpayers would end up bailing you out.

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical, but keep in mind I've been dealing with DNR for nearly 5 decades and believe me they do NOT have a good track record.

Gary
post #15 of 33 Old 02-17-2012

theres lots of good people serioulsy hurting because of our poorly run goverment,the overall tax revenue has declined a bunch,i'm really amazed that local/state and federal goverment officials think that their pet projects and salaries shoudn't be affected too,btw is there any way of finding out the salary of goverment officials and also what countries and how much we give in federal aid?i may be mistaken but i've heard we even send money [aid] to china,1 billion to egypt,28 million to pakistan minus 70 million[slap on the hand]for lack of cooperation
post #16 of 33 Old 02-17-2012

I dont know how you people in the Northeast, California, & Illinois put up with this ********. High taxes, high fees, and crappy services.

At least here in Florida, we have crappy services, but our taxes are relatively low as well.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #17 of 33 Old 02-17-2012

When you are spending someone else's money, it's pretty easy (lazy in fact) to want to do more by taking and spending more.

Wanting to counter that with doing less and taking less comes in second to last.

In real life, the rest of us are forced to do more with less!! I've yet to hear a talking head, here or in MD govt or in the White House, ever understand that. They don't have to when they can simply take what they want.
sawingknots likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 33 Old 02-17-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Rich, don't expect what some folks call the queer little state of Mary Land to do anything "logical". Mary Land enacted three school zones on roads about two years ago. In places where there are no schools, no residences, and no children on any regular basis.

Their logic? Was that you can double speeding fines in a school zone, and no law requires a school to be there.

Mary Land, the 55mph speedbump on I95. Where commoners and lower classes apparently are valued about as much as any other kind of rose food.
post #19 of 33 Old 02-17-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

Surprised they haven't raised that "other" boat tax ... rum.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

post #20 of 33 Old 02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Surprised they haven't raised that "other" boat tax ... rum.
shhhhh,if you can think of it don't you think they can too

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in