Best boat shows in N. America - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 02-20-2012
HANUMAN

Not really relevant anymore, but, I wish they would bring back the Atlantic City Strictly Sail show. The convention center is a good venue and AC is a nice change of pace for a mid winter weekend.

Newport is OK, but seems like exactly the same thing every year (maybe they all do?), classrooms in little tents, the variety of sail boats gets smaller every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 02-20-2012
The most female moderator

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Not really relevant anymore, but, I wish they would bring back the Atlantic City Strictly Sail show. The convention center is a good venue and AC is a nice change of pace for a mid winter weekend.
If I remember the reasoning, the AC show was eliminated and moved to Philadelphia in order to be more centrally located and it was to be held every other year. We went the first year it was held in Philadelphia and it was great (for us, not the vendors) because there was a snowstorm so we were able to spend a considerable amount of time in and on the boats.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-20-2012
EJO
Dutchman

Miami might be great but the word is SAIL and BEST and none is better than the Strictly Sail Chicago, right in the middle of winter so you don't have to take time off sailing to see the boats, this year they even had a 75' plus boat. In the middle of the country in one if not the best metropolitan city in the US and many many more things to do besides the show if you want to stay longer.:-)

Skipper E-J
S/V "Sailmates" 1973 IRWIN 32 Classic

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]

post #24 of 28 Old 02-20-2012
Bluenoser

Went to the WoodenBoat show in Mystic a few years back - it was great. I plan on going back this year. Great roots appeal!
post #25 of 28 Old 02-20-2012
Old Gaffer

Boat shows in Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
My two favorites are the Maine Boat Builders Show in Portland in March and the Maine Boats and Harbors in water show in Rockland in August. Both are sail and power and neither has anywhoere the numbers of production boats you see in Annapolis or the other larger shows but a lot of custom and semi custom boats and restorations. If you a looking for something different from the larger shows try those.
Absolutely correct! Quality trumps quantity. The MBBS is coming in just a few weeks and Portland has much to offer. Check it out.

Maine Boatbuilders Show | A gathering of the finest fiberglass and wooden custom boatbuilders on the East Coast

Never sail closer to the wind in degrees than your age
post #26 of 28 Old 02-20-2012

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
The Phildelphia and Atlantic Cirty Boat shows have been moved back and forth since the mid 80. Always conflicted with the woeld famous Philadelphia Flower show...thats why it moved to the new concention center in Atlantic City. I like an in water show better than an in building one,

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #27 of 28 Old 02-21-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Annapolis for sailboats followed by Chicago. For venders hands down the Miami Boat show. They have 5 times as many vendors. For multihulls I would put Miami boat show first.
Powerboats would be the Fort Lauderdale Boat show, followed by the Miami boat show.

Melissa Renee
Moondance
Catalina 445, Hull #90
post #28 of 28 Old 02-21-2012
Somewhat Senior Member

Annapolis, MD and Newport, RI would be my picks.
chef2sail likes this.

s/v Rhythm
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in