Long Range Radio Communication - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 02-22-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Anyone know what the arrest and conviction rate if for an "illegal" use of a radio is?

The punishment?

I sure don't, be interested to know though.

BTW, for a Marine VHF, it's illegal to use it on "land". Wonder if you are standing in a foot of water, is that considered land? The dock?
Not sure what the conviction rate or punishment is for radio use, I am sure it is much more severe if someone would send fake mayday signals.

What I understand it is illegal to use marine VHF on land or dock. The only way to do it is be in your dingy, with the dingy in the water- wonder if a boat in a swimming pool would count?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 02-22-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Sorta funny. Although I have my ham license, I don't "use" it.

I have a couple of handhelds for my marine use. One a Yaesu FT-270, the other a Icom M72.

The Icom is easy to use for novices, the Yaesu is easy to use for me, has been hard modded and receives and transmits on any HAM frequency, marine frequency, commercial frequency, weather channels, etc. None of that is illegal BTW and all programed in for quick use.

As a plus, a HAM handheld is usually cheaper than a marine hand held. The Yaesu, I think I paid $150, the Icom $200. Both are waterproof BTW. You can easily mod them yourself or pay about $80 (or less) to have it done. The benefit, IMO, is I can tx and rx on a much wider range than holding just the ICOM. The mod was done with a solder gun and a magnifying glass cause I can't see shiet and took about five minutes.

FWIW, I had a CB license as a kid (no longer needed) and as I said have my HAM license. I'm sure that one is going the way of the CB license too (as referenced by the elimination of the Morse requirement). As a Libertarian, I'm not a big fan of Gov't regulations/requirements. Just FYI. Take if for what it's worth...
Is the Icom M72 a VHF/UHF model? I have an old Drake TR-7 modified to transmit and receive from 0- 30 mghz. On the boat I have an Icom 701 marine SSB which is programmed to transmit 1.5 to 27 mghz so this unit is good for both Marine SSB and Ham bands- works well with its auto tuner and back stay antenna.
post #23 of 30 Old 02-22-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Wow! How things have changed since I took the General exam in 1955. I couldn't pass the online link exam by a long shot.

Gary
Back in your day they were only using tubes- you have a valid reason of not passing.
In case you do not remember the exam, here it is:
http://www.arrl.org/lurching-toward-general

post #24 of 30 Old 02-22-2012
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Is the Icom M72 a VHF/UHF model? I have an old Drake TR-7 modified to transmit and receive from 0- 30 mghz. On the boat I have an Icom 701 marine SSB which is programmed to transmit 1.5 to 27 mghz so this unit is good for both Marine SSB and Ham bands- works well with its auto tuner and back stay antenna.
Sorry to say, I'm not sure of the exact frequencies I can transmit and receive on. Marine SSB specifically (I've not needed it). You can look into it though, Google, "Yaesu FT270 hard mod" and see what comes up or Google the product. I do know it's opened up all channels I use for off-roading, sailing, weather etc. The unit has become very versatile.
post #25 of 30 Old 02-22-2012

Hi all. Might be able to help. The best way we have found to keep in communication is HF radio. This would require you to get your General class license. First you need to study for your technician class then your General class. It is so helpful when your on the water. You can talk to almost anyone in the world with voice, digital text, receive all weather, wind and wave faxes from anywhere. These are just a few of the things that you will be able to dabble in. It is truly amazing. You can use your backstay as a slanted dipole, however if you purchase or build a full dipole you can tune all the bands for night and winter uses. It's a lot of fun and a true life saver. SSB is the purest form of communication. Its not hard to learn and you can use it globally.
post #26 of 30 Old 02-22-2012

Re: FCC enforcement actions against amateur radio abuse in the marine service.

This joker was really having a fun time until...

From the ARRL web site.

"In March 2009, the FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) in the amount of $17,000 to David Edward Perka, KA3PRB, of Lewisburg, Tennessee. The FCC alleges that Perka “willfully and repeatedly violat[ed] section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, by operating without a license in the Maritime Radio Service and willfully violat[ed] Section 333 of the Act by maliciously interfering with the United States Coast Guard on the International Distress, Safety and Calling Channel in Annapolis, Maryland.”"

To see the rest, go to:

FCC Upholds $17,000 Forfeiture Order to Tennessee Ham

Please notice the words "willfully" and "maliciously" in the text. These along with the word "repeatedly" often appear in these kinds of spectacular enforcement actions.

If you make a legitimate mistake, you admit to it and explain what you have done so that it will never happen again, you will quite possibly get off with a stern letter.

Keep at it though and see what happens!

Have FUN but do it right!
O'
post #27 of 30 Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Back in your day they were only using tubes- you have a valid reason of not passing.
Lurching Toward General
I can sympathize! I had my encounter with the FCC in 1976 and while I was considerably older than the kid in the story, I felt about the same!

Seeing my name on that list was one of the biggest charges I have had in my life. I didn't see "Lurch" there but there were plenty of white shirts, ties and pocket protectors. I went in a Novice and came out Advanced. I just kept taking tests until I failed.

Have FUN!
O'
post #28 of 30 Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Lurching Toward General
Yep, those were tube days, and I think I can still remember most of the schematic diagrams I had to draw for the exam. I was 15 years old when I took the test, my CW speed was way higher than most, and I was able to copy 20 WPM with ease, which was big help when I entered the U.S. Navy. When I was preparing for the exam I copied 5-letter code groups that were sent out nightly from WWV, which I was fully prepared to do during the exam. Instead, they sent written sentences, which to me were easier. In the Navy we had to pass what was known as the I-N-T test, (.. -. -) sent at 5 WPM--it was almost boring. If you could handle that, then the drill instructor sent you to the advanced testing center, where they determined if you were smart enough to go to radio school. Only about 5 percent of those sent to the advanced area were accepted, regardless of their ability. The rest were assigned to other billets, gunners mates, deck apes, cooks, and any other job slots that needed warm bodies. It took me another year to get into radio school--they sent me to Underwater Swimmers School in Key West, Florida first.

BTW: I took the online exam at the posted link and only scored 37-percent. Minimum required to pass was 70-percent.

Cheers,

Gary
post #29 of 30 Old 02-23-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Yep, those were tube days, and I think I can still remember most of the schematic diagrams I had to draw for the exam. I was 15 years old when I took the test, my CW speed was way higher than most, and I was able to copy 20 WPM with ease, which was big help when I entered the U.S. Navy. When I was preparing for the exam I copied 5-letter code groups that were sent out nightly from WWV, which I was fully prepared to do during the exam. Instead, they sent written sentences, which to me were easier. In the Navy we had to pass what was known as the I-N-T test, (.. -. -) sent at 5 WPM--it was almost boring. If you could handle that, then the drill instructor sent you to the advanced testing center, where they determined if you were smart enough to go to radio school. Only about 5 percent of those sent to the advanced area were accepted, regardless of their ability. The rest were assigned to other billets, gunners mates, deck apes, cooks, and any other job slots that needed warm bodies. It took me another year to get into radio school--they sent me to Underwater Swimmers School in Key West, Florida first.

BTW: I took the online exam at the posted link and only scored 37-percent. Minimum required to pass was 70-percent.

Cheers,

Gary
But I'll bet if you took 2 hours of study you could pass the current exam with no problem. Look how easy it is- multiple choice, no diagram drawing, no code.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-23-2012

You're probably right about that. I was amazed at no code and diagrams.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in