HELP! Mouse on board - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 11-25-2003 Thread Starter

HELP! Mouse on board

Now that you mention it about ferrets I do recall that they can be very aggressive and messy in the droppings dept. Don''t need another critter like that. BB guns, none available and in case you all have not guessed I am a "female" who would not be able to shoot them and then remove them. Any offers? The traps were tried with ham tied with thread. Sprang the traps then ate the ham. Then left their calling card.
Thanks Again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 11-25-2003

HELP! Mouse on board

I knew that you are a woman... My first wife was a better shot than me. And until she lost interest my daughter was a better shot than my son. Good luck. My Mom had some rats get into her basement. I plugged all access points and then trapped the ones inside. But until I stopped them from getting inside they were a problem. There was a creek about a block away and the hungry rats would go searching for new homes and food. Same for you, you need to make it impossible for new critters to get aboard. As a last restort anchor out!!!!
post #23 of 39 Old 11-25-2003 Thread Starter

HELP! Mouse on board

OK, OK, so it was obvious that I am a woman, by my screams. Anyway I have been doing some research, considered the glue boards but would need instant kill/poison. Can''t find it available some take days to kill. So now there is the "Rat Zapper". And then I looked for the items for my lines to keep them off, suggested was pie tins, funnels or Pvc pipe. Any sound better than the other?
Thanks Again,
Cheri

post #24 of 39 Old 11-28-2003

HELP! Mouse on board

At this point, I''d get the sticky traps, taking a day or two off the boat, and then go get a man to remove the rodents once they are immobilized, if I were too squeamish to do it myself. You''ll even make a new friend.<P>
A dock line rove through a large (I''d think 8" minimum diameter) funnel sounds like a great idea to me (I''m speaking from zero experience). Even if something as big as a rat were to try to get over it, its bodyweight would spin the funnel, dropping the interloper into the drink, or at the very least, forcing it to bear away to the dock.
<P>A pie plate might stop a mouse, but it''s conceiveable that a rat could flatten it down against the dockline and step over. To state the obvious, the funnel should be "pointing" toward the boat, i. e., the horn pointing toward the dock and the small opening toward the boat, about half-way along the dockline.
<P>If you buy a case, you could wind up making a profit by selling them to others on your gangway...
post #25 of 39 Old 11-28-2003
Mr. Bill

HELP! Mouse on board

How about acquiring an adult cat from the humane society, don''t feed it for a day, turn it loose on you boat, and then, after the jobs done, secretly donate it to your marina. It can still be your pet, and if you feel guilty, feed it once & awhile. But it sounds like there''s plenty to ''eat'' around your marina anyway. And maybe other boat owners would like to ''borrow'' your cat for similar problems. You could end up being a hero (heroine). I like the ferret idea too. To do the job right, you need a predator.
post #26 of 39 Old 11-29-2003 Thread Starter

HELP! Mouse on board

Everyone I have spoke to here. Says the traps are the only way to go. One offered a couple days ago to install them and then remove them. Haven''t seen him since then
(;-o all talk no action! And yes to the funnel I though maybe the plastic ones at the auto store would be good. Also what was suggested was the large pastic soda bottles with a hole in the other end, it would roll too. A cat from the Humane Society is a good source for keeping them in line. Just worried about peoples cruelty to cats. But for now I have bought three of the ultra sonic plugin devices. And I have not seen any in my galley or salon since I bought them three days ago. So it does work for that purpose. I still know they are there somewhere lurking about. A Tabby the first of next week. But I can''t "not" feed it for 2 days, just so it''s hungry!
Thanks again to all.
Cheri
post #27 of 39 Old 12-01-2003

HELP! Mouse on board

Not all cats are equal!!! We had a nice calico that caught and ate everything. Birds mice ,rats ,squirrels and adult rabbits. The cat we have now is useless. He is a housecat since birth and has no ability to hunt. It seems that the good hunters have been taught by their mother. I actually saw a cat bring mice and baby rabbits to her kittens while they were alive to teach them to kill. Actually the calico drove me crazy as she ate the birds that came to the feeder. Even with a full food dish she wanted fresh rabbit!! Mice she usually wouldn''t eat. We''d find the bodies by the door. With rabbits we''d find the ears and the feet. Funny thing with adult rabbits is that she''d catch them and then the dog would take it away from her. I felt bad for the rabbits but a neighbor with a garden was talking poison so I figured being killed by a cat wa probably the better way to go. There were a lot of rabbits in the neighborhood. She was a very sweet cat with people and often slept with my daughter.
post #28 of 39 Old 12-03-2003

HELP! Mouse on board

rent the movie "The Green Mile" and reconsider!
post #29 of 39 Old 12-07-2003

HELP! Mouse on board

If you run a funnel or some other spinning barrier on a dockline, something will be needed to keep it from sliding down to the dock cleat. a hose clamp would serve well, one would think.
post #30 of 39 Old 12-07-2003

HELP! Mouse on board

I hate to be the one to bring this ugly thought to the surface, but you may want to look again at the "brave little mouse".

There''s a very high chance that it is the young of the big ugly rat that was looking at you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in