SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   HELP! Mouse on board (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/8503-help-mouse-board.html)

clearskies 11-18-2003 06:48 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

I recently acquired a critter on board. Hope there''s only one. Anyway, anyone got any tips on how to get rid of it. I don''t want to poison it, as it may go into the bilge and die and smell really bad if I can''t find it. I have tried traps, smart bugger just trips them and eats the food. Just knowing it''s there gives me the creeps.
Thanks

c172guy 11-18-2003 07:05 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Unless you live aboard get rid of all food on the boat. If it is tripping mouse traps it might be a rat!!!! If the poop is larger than a grain of rice it''s a rat. I''ve had good luck catching mice with a trap using peanut butter as bait. If you decide that it''s a rat use a larger trap.
There are other critters.. we had a opposum in our basement eating dogfood!!

clearskies 11-18-2003 07:23 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Yes I live on board. As far as the "poop" it is the size of cooked rice, you know as it plumps.
Did start getting rid of all food, and was told it would probably start eating the wiring and hoses!!! UGH

hathanger 11-18-2003 08:11 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Having lived on a farm at one time surrounded by corn fields, this was always our sure fire way to catch even the smartest mouse. Fry a piece of bacon only till it is half done. Cut it up in little fingernail size pieces (use the more fatty areas) and put VERY securily on 3-4 traps. With it only half cooked it has a strong irresistable odor and is still tough enough that the mouse has to pull on it. Good luck!

hamiam 11-18-2003 08:19 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

1. Get a cat or 2. Get a pro and fumigate him out.

Alas, there is hardly ever only one mouse or rat.

maestro 11-18-2003 08:27 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Sure fire way to get the mouse w/o it dying in the bilge. (but oh yes...it WILL die ; )

1. get a 5 gal. bucket and add about 3-4 inches of antifreeze.
2.Take a long,narrow strip of wood and place it so that about 7-8 inces of it are over the top of the bucket.
3. At the end of the wood strip put a big glob of peanut butter. The mouse will climb along the wooden strip towards the peanut butter and his weight will drop him into the bucket filled with antifreeze (which will most definately KILL him).
4. then all you have to do is dispose of the dead mouse and the antifreeze (you can save it for the next time a mouse comes on board.)

clearskies 11-20-2003 09:27 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Well, thanks to all, I''ve tried the traps, but not with bacon, may try that one next. Bought a cage and provided "Chunky Peanut Butter" no less. And it has not gone near it yet. Oh, yes it''s still here with its'' droppings and the sound of its'' little toe nails at night on the tile. The Anti-Freeze though not "Humane(?)" (who cares) they are disgusting and they carry diseases. That one may be a winner. Drown that little sucker!

hamiam 11-20-2003 12:26 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

since you dont like my cat idea; what about one of those ultra-sonic devices that drive mice and rats away?

jbanta 11-20-2003 12:28 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

The damnable little creatures love chocolet.. Just an idea... Good luck

flicker 11-20-2003 02:16 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

Sticky traps have worked well for me. I add a couple of salted peanuts and an almond to the bait.

Chas

hathanger 11-21-2003 05:19 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

Clearskies, keep us all posted on the mouse situation!

pirateofcapeann 11-23-2003 09:20 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

Leave ‘em be and feed ‘em well! Don’t ya’ know that rats abandon a sinkin’ ship!

clearskies 11-24-2003 09:16 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Well there is more than one! Put peanut butter on two traps. They never went near them. Bought a cage and put peanut butter in that three days ago,waited and waited, finally caught one last night, A "little, harmless field mouse" my friend said as he took it off. And I prayed that it was the only one. and "harmless my @##". So as I am sitting on the couch late in the evening, I hear a noise in the galley and look up at the refrig and what''s looking back at me is not a "harmless field mouse", but about 8-10" of rat. Then this morning another mouse was walking across my counter. Bold little suckers. Totally disgusted I decided I am going to get a garbage can that has a swinging lid. Put bacon on the top and pray they drop in the anti-freeze, as they try to step on the lid (sound good?). The sticky things, when they get caught, I hear they screech. I would love to have a cat, two or three. But my boat is a charter boat and some people are alergic. Also found out that the restaurant down the dock that they are tearing down was loaded with them, so now they are simply trying to find a "new home(s)" WONDERFUL. You have to know that I am totally "ANNUL RETENTIVE" about clean. So keep the suggestions coming. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flicker 11-24-2003 02:20 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

Clearskies,

A neighbor down the street cleared the rats out of our neighborhood last summer with a hav-a-hart trap. I''ll have to ask her what she used for bait. Once she caught them, she had to walk to the local park and drown them in the pond. As a liveaboard, you shouldn''t have much problem doing yours in either.

Actually, the trash can with the anti-freeze sounds pretty good. Rats climb into trash cans all the time. Also, propylene glycol (I thinks that''s what''s in anti-freeze) has a sweet taste and house cats have been killed licking it off their paws after walking through it. Remember that it is hightly toxic and should be disposed of safely.

Chas

clearskies 11-24-2003 02:52 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

I know the anti-freeze is my last resort. I have now cooked some bacon after the little one ran again across my counter again and put that in the HaveAHart (now sitting on my counter).
No bites yet...so if you can find out what was used I would be so grateful. I really can''t stand this, I don''t want to go in the galley without gloves on. Exterminators will only use the sticky paper stuff and poisen, and I really don''t want to look at dead mice/rats until they show up to take them away (let alone the cost). There is no food for them to eat except what I have put in the cage??????????
Thanks Again my advisors!

jbanta 11-24-2003 03:08 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

I read in Mother Earth News (YEARS AGO) that rats can be killed with beer. I don''t know if it works for mice, I don''t even know if it works for rats but it might be worth a try.

RichH 11-24-2003 06:31 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

If you have a rat, I suggest that you locate someone with a ferret. A ferret will take about 15 seconds to find and dispose of the rat. Local veterinarians can help you find a friendly ferret owner.
For mice, put your traps along the walls as mice/rats usually always travel along walls, not in the open.

clearskies 11-24-2003 07:40 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

HMMMMM.....Still no action in the cage even with the bacon...but the small one showed up on the top of my sideboards in the galley walking like it owned the place. I had once again bleached and disinfected everything. I can''t even eat here let alone sleep, but here is where I have to be. Beer I am not so sure, it would seem to be an insentive for some "RATS" I have known (trying to smile). Sooooo next step, I will inquire about a Ferret, but I would not want it to get hurt, like falling in the bilge, they are good creatures. Wonder why there are no cats in this marina (new here), since they are an asset, at least to me. I would gladly be kind, feed and pet and hold them. But then I would more than likely become attached. And as we all know some people can be cruel to cats on the outside. I have an upcoming charter (much needed money) and I can''t have them (rodents) wondering around. I am truly trying not to "Whine" although at this point some "Wine" is not a bad choice!
Should the marina since they are the ones who (read prior posts) made this wonderful experience available, help in any way?
Thanks again to all,
I am going to cry and have the "WINE" and maybe make friends with them (OH YUCK, NO).

Your help is greatly needed.

Paranoid and Sleepless in St. Petersburg

kimberlite 11-24-2003 09:14 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

I have always had good luck with mouse/rat traps.
i use bologna as bait and wrap it with thread so it can not be nibbled off.
try 6 traps and try staying off the boat for 24 hours.
good luck,
eric

c172guy 11-25-2003 05:39 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

You need to keep the things off of your boat!!! They can climb over dock lines etc. Make some shields to keep them on the dock. You know like the shields they use to keep squirrels out of bird feeders. With an infested dock that''s the only way. If you are a good shot with a BB gun shoot the brave mice!!! I was really wicked as a child with my BB gun. Even shot dragonflies. Wear eye protection and try to have something soft behind the mouse so the pellet doesn''t bounce around. I am talking about the weak little guns. If you get a stronger pellet gun only pump it enough to kill the mouse not put a hole in something valuble.
Ferrets are filthy creatures that will tear your boat apart!!! My daugther had two of the creatures and they tore up a couch when she let them loose in the house. Plus their crap is worse than mouse crap. They will kill even a big rat. But if they smell a mouse they''ll tear stuff apart to get to it.

clearskies 11-25-2003 06:32 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Now that you mention it about ferrets I do recall that they can be very aggressive and messy in the droppings dept. Don''t need another critter like that. BB guns, none available and in case you all have not guessed I am a "female" who would not be able to shoot them and then remove them. Any offers? The traps were tried with ham tied with thread. Sprang the traps then ate the ham. Then left their calling card.
Thanks Again!

c172guy 11-25-2003 07:31 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

I knew that you are a woman... My first wife was a better shot than me. And until she lost interest my daughter was a better shot than my son. Good luck. My Mom had some rats get into her basement. I plugged all access points and then trapped the ones inside. But until I stopped them from getting inside they were a problem. There was a creek about a block away and the hungry rats would go searching for new homes and food. Same for you, you need to make it impossible for new critters to get aboard. As a last restort anchor out!!!!

clearskies 11-25-2003 08:13 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

OK, OK, so it was obvious that I am a woman, by my screams. Anyway I have been doing some research, considered the glue boards but would need instant kill/poison. Can''t find it available some take days to kill. So now there is the "Rat Zapper". And then I looked for the items for my lines to keep them off, suggested was pie tins, funnels or Pvc pipe. Any sound better than the other?
Thanks Again,
Cheri

JeffC_ 11-28-2003 08:48 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

At this point, I''d get the sticky traps, taking a day or two off the boat, and then go get a man to remove the rodents once they are immobilized, if I were too squeamish to do it myself. You''ll even make a new friend.<P>
A dock line rove through a large (I''d think 8" minimum diameter) funnel sounds like a great idea to me (I''m speaking from zero experience). Even if something as big as a rat were to try to get over it, its bodyweight would spin the funnel, dropping the interloper into the drink, or at the very least, forcing it to bear away to the dock.
<P>A pie plate might stop a mouse, but it''s conceiveable that a rat could flatten it down against the dockline and step over. To state the obvious, the funnel should be "pointing" toward the boat, i. e., the horn pointing toward the dock and the small opening toward the boat, about half-way along the dockline.
<P>If you buy a case, you could wind up making a profit by selling them to others on your gangway... :)

e-27 sailor 11-28-2003 12:42 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

How about acquiring an adult cat from the humane society, don''t feed it for a day, turn it loose on you boat, and then, after the jobs done, secretly donate it to your marina. It can still be your pet, and if you feel guilty, feed it once & awhile. But it sounds like there''s plenty to ''eat'' around your marina anyway. And maybe other boat owners would like to ''borrow'' your cat for similar problems. You could end up being a hero (heroine). I like the ferret idea too. To do the job right, you need a predator.

clearskies 11-29-2003 08:09 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Everyone I have spoke to here. Says the traps are the only way to go. One offered a couple days ago to install them and then remove them. Haven''t seen him since then
(;-o all talk no action! And yes to the funnel I though maybe the plastic ones at the auto store would be good. Also what was suggested was the large pastic soda bottles with a hole in the other end, it would roll too. A cat from the Humane Society is a good source for keeping them in line. Just worried about peoples cruelty to cats. But for now I have bought three of the ultra sonic plugin devices. And I have not seen any in my galley or salon since I bought them three days ago. So it does work for that purpose. I still know they are there somewhere lurking about. A Tabby the first of next week. But I can''t "not" feed it for 2 days, just so it''s hungry!
Thanks again to all.
Cheri

c172guy 12-01-2003 05:01 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Not all cats are equal!!! We had a nice calico that caught and ate everything. Birds mice ,rats ,squirrels and adult rabbits. The cat we have now is useless. He is a housecat since birth and has no ability to hunt. It seems that the good hunters have been taught by their mother. I actually saw a cat bring mice and baby rabbits to her kittens while they were alive to teach them to kill. Actually the calico drove me crazy as she ate the birds that came to the feeder. Even with a full food dish she wanted fresh rabbit!! Mice she usually wouldn''t eat. We''d find the bodies by the door. With rabbits we''d find the ears and the feet. Funny thing with adult rabbits is that she''d catch them and then the dog would take it away from her. I felt bad for the rabbits but a neighbor with a garden was talking poison so I figured being killed by a cat wa probably the better way to go. There were a lot of rabbits in the neighborhood. She was a very sweet cat with people and often slept with my daughter.

branda 12-03-2003 12:30 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

rent the movie "The Green Mile" and reconsider!

JeffC_ 12-07-2003 01:20 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

If you run a funnel or some other spinning barrier on a dockline, something will be needed to keep it from sliding down to the dock cleat. a hose clamp would serve well, one would think.

paulmcquillan 12-07-2003 09:53 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

I hate to be the one to bring this ugly thought to the surface, but you may want to look again at the "brave little mouse".

There''s a very high chance that it is the young of the big ugly rat that was looking at you.

clearskies 12-08-2003 01:28 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

First what does "The Green Mile" have to do with it? Second, the cat I know can leave body parts behind, that is why I still hesitate and also because this is a charter boat. Third, the clamp good idea. And the "big ugly rat" was the Momma looking for the baby that was caught in the cage and taken off the boat. Cage is still there, but no attraction. But still have not seen any signs of them since the Ultrasonic devices. And cheap for the price, $10 each at Lowes, how long they last I don''t know, a long time, I hope. Since they where coming from anchor winch locker. I suspect they are leaving and then returning. Can''t get a device in there. And the only food available is in the cage, brother(s) or sister(s) got wise or maybe to big for it!
Thanks!

c172guy 12-09-2003 10:24 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

You ruined my weekend...a little. I slept on my boat and kept worrying about rats and mice. When I woke up during the night I listened for gnawing sounds. No sign of rats or mice on my boat but now I''ll be listening for them. But Friday night was so windy that the boat shook.Only a monster rat could have been heard above the wind noise. Saturday night after a few beers I didn''t worry much about rats.

liarsof 12-11-2003 12:47 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

well, I have been in your position twice once on my 38ft first and 6 yaers later on my bertram 33. If you want to catch it there is only one way: use a conventional steel trap and put as a bait a piece of sausage (half to one inch cube) that you burn slightly with a ligther!! both times was caught within 10 minutes from the time the trap was set. Hope you can find a good trap.

clearskies 12-12-2003 07:16 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

Sorry "Guy", but you did give me a chuckle. Misery loves company! And "High Winds" here too 60mph gusts. Its not only the thought of the critters keeping me awake its the constant checking the lines.

e-27 sailor 12-29-2003 02:41 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

Clearskies, it''s been a couple weeks since your last rat update. Did the momma rat jump overboard from depression after losing her offspring, or is this still a work-in-progress?

clearskies 01-02-2004 02:19 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

Have not seen "hide nor fur" of the critters since I bought the ultra sonic devices. Sooo I don''t know if they abandoned ship or just hiding, maybe another strategic plan is in the works! If so you will know...when I do! Now I have the creeps again.

BomberTech 03-08-2004 07:01 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

"not "Humane(?)" (who cares) they are disgusting and they carry diseases. That one may be a winner. Drown that little sucker!"

Cruel *****.

Sure, pests need to be killed, but from what I''ve heard, anti-freeze is perhaps even more cruel than those evil little glue traps. Saying "who cares" just shows the cruel idiot that you are. People do care, those that kill vermin quick and painlessly. Oh but no, they''re only rats. And why must they be exempt from a quick kill? Because they carry disease? Ridiculous! I''m sorry, but NOTHING justifies inflicting needless suffering to animals, specifically mammals who have similar nervous systems to that of humans.
When we had rats in our attic, we bought a rat zapper. No mess, instant kill. We bought it because we need not want to see the animals in pain if we use poision/glue traps... but we had to get rid of them. Your "who cares" statement is just a reflection of how stupid people are, thinking that it''s "okay" inflicting needless agony to one group of animals. Rats and mice aren''t insects - they''re mammals, they can suffer. And given the choice you have - why would you pick an inhumane death over a humane one? We as humans are responsible to elimiating potential dangers, without having to resot to cruelty. Now, you had a choice in this matter; humane or inhumane. Why go the inhumane route? Is it because they "deserve" or is it just because you''re a cruel ******* and "not care" ?

I am worried about society if they tread down the path of thinking that "cruelty is okay... if the are inconvient". Absolute BS. You had the choice in your hands, but you "didn''t care". What a disgusting human being you are.

windship 03-12-2004 05:32 AM

HELP! Mouse on board

...and from now on...don''t leave your ladder up against your toerail all the time if your on the hard.

Dennis

JosephDive 03-20-2004 02:01 PM

HELP! Mouse on board

The best Rat-Guard I could think of for mooring lines would be to go to a "walmart-ish" type store and buy small Cones Like the type that you use to mark impromptu football fields with.. cut the bottoms off and run your lines thru them so that the open end faces the pier. Make sure that you get cones with small openings on the top so that they will hold the line tauntly and not rest down on it.. some modification may be necessary. I appolagize if someone has alredy suggested this method as I only read the first two pages of posts.