Join Date: Mar 2008
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Siren 17 or O'Day Daysailer II?
I'm going to look at a couple boats this weekend and wanted opinions on a Siren 17 versus an O'Day Daysailer II. I mainly sail in Vineyard Haven harbor and Nantucket and Vineyard sounds, so it's coastal ocean. It's normal to have 2 foot seas, and windspeeds tend to be "almost dead" or "honking"
I need a boat 17 feet or less due to the space I have to store it. Here are the criteria I'm looking for:
1) Dry: My wife doesn't want to get wet at all! The drier the ride, the better
2) Safe: I'm an experienced dinghy sailer who was sailed everything from a windsurfer to a sunfish to a Mercury to windrider trimarans. That said, I'll be sailing with my wife and younger kids and defininitely don't want to sink and want low capsize risk.
3) Fun: I have a couple Windrider 10 trimarans, which are fun, but don't offer much performance, they have a very conservative rig. I'd like something that's going to move a little bit while not being scary for the kids.
4) Easy to rig: I had a Windrider 17 and the setup/breakdown time at the boat ramp was about 50 minutes if I really ran everything like a well-oiled machine. If I can go from trailer to water in 30 minutes or less, that would be great.
5) Easy to single-hand: I single hand a lot, and I enjoy it!
Given those criteria, what do people think about a Siren 17 versus a 16 foot O'Day Daysailer II assuming comparable condition, equipment, etc.?