SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Active Captain. I love it!

6K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  sea_hunter 
#1 ·
It's so easy to use, click it's a chart, click it's a satellite view, click it's a road map. https://activecaptain.com/index.php I like reading comments, the reports and information too. Been on it a couple of years now, even though I've gone next to nowhere in my boat, other then Chesapeake Bay a few times.

#4 ·
Pretty cool. I just signed up, I had no idea they sold software for use. I always thought it was just a Google earth but specifically for boaters.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

#6 ·
I certainly have to agree. Crowdsourcing has its limits, but these guys do everything they can to eliminate the oddball outliers and clean up the data before posting it to their DB. That's why the stuff you write doesn't show up immediately.

I've been very happy with the quality of the data, the completeness of the data, and the responsiveness of the owner/operators.

Tom

#7 ·
Another ActiveCaptain fan here. Have used it to plan Chesapeake trips, and afterwards I contributed my thoughts/data and even added a ramp they didn't show. It's also great for armchair sailing. :)

Reactions: deniseO30
#10 ·
I just downloaded these into my hacked Nook Color (Android Cyanogenmod7). Will test them when I have a chance:

NutiCharts Lite - free version requires WiFi to download charts on demand. Small fee to cache the charts

I also stumbled across this one. Does not integrate ActiveCaptain data, but it does look to have potential as a free Android chartplotter

Marine Navigator Lite - converts RNC charts that you can download for free (in the US from NOAA)

Reactions: deniseO30
#11 · (Edited)
I got a chance to play with these a bit today. In case anyone is interested, I was able to get both programs to pick up the Bluetooth GPS signal that my wireless communications module puts out. It did take a little fiddling with drivers and a free utility to emulate a serial NMEA connection from the Bluetooth, but once it was set up it worked flawlessly. This means that Android tablets that do not have built-in GPS should be able to function as chartplotters with a Bluetooth GPS puck, such as the Amazon.com: BT-359C: Globalsat BT-359C Bluetooth GPS Receiver: GPS & Navigation@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314ePNHybQL.@@AMEPARAM@@314ePNHybQL. I can't guarantee it, since I have not tested this exact model, but if it will work with my homemade transmitter module, it should work with this one.

It's especially cool because the Nook Color does not even have Bluetooth receiver in its design spec, but someone discovered one embedded in the electronics when developing the Cyanogenmod for it. If you plan to try this with your Nook Color, I need to warn you that the Bluetooth receiver may be fairly weak, and probably designed for use with a Bluetooth keyboard a couple of feet away. I did not have a chance to test whether it was strong enough to pick up Bluetooth signals from all the way out in the cockpit.

#16 ·
It's so easy to use, click it's a chart, click it's a satellite view, click it's a road map. https://activecaptain.com/index.php I like reading comments, the reports and information too. Been on it a couple of years now, even though I've gone next to nowhere in my boat, other then Chesapeake Bay a few times.
Wow this is cool! Once I get a waterproof case for my I-thing I'm totally going to use this for my next amphibious assault!:D

Seriously though, it looks neat. Almost makes me wish I had an I-thing.

MedSailor

#18 ·
Feh, you don't need an i-Thing. Use a smartphone or scrounge a cheap netbook. If I had cash just burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get an i-Thing, but racing, regular boat maintenance and college expenses for twin daughters have made sure that I don't have that kind of cash.

#17 ·
I've been using Active Captain since Jeff posted here to introduce it, and the mob attacked him :rolleyes:. It is a great tool, and Karen and Jeff do an awesome job in constantly improving it... Who knows, maybe Apple will buy the Seigals :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.