Storm Jib - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-11-2012 Thread Starter

Storm Jib

Hello all,

Two part question.

1 - I have a furling jib. Do I need a "storm" jib, or is it safe to bring out just a bit of my existing jib and tie off the furler?

2 - How do I know what size "storm" jib to buy? I have a Coronado 25.

3 - Being that I have a furling jib, how would I rig the sail when I need to fly it?

Thanks all, as always!

Nelson Abreu
Serenity Now
Coronado 25
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-11-2012

Re: Storm Jib

While many do in fact use a small portion of the jib, it's not as good as a real storm jib which would be heavier material and better shaped than a partial roll.

There are storm sails available that wrap around a furled headsail (Gale sail??), otherwise you're stuck with removing the jib and installing the storm jib instead.. not an easy job in a building breeze at sea.

In reality I suspect few recreational sailors are likely to get caught out in true stormsail conditions, nor likely to try to sail their way out. Rolling out a hankerchief to return to the nearest port is the more likely scenario.. meaning the cost of the proper storm gear may not be justified.
SloopJonB likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 11 Old 05-11-2012 Thread Starter

Sounds like sound advice.

While I don't plan on being in storms for a long time, I am concerned about the possibility of getting caught during Bimini crossings by our wicked afternoon storms in the rainy season. You can go from a calm to a gale and back again, all in one hour.

I would love to be able to just pull in my existing jib to a much smaller size, if it's safe. Saves money, saves time and safer in building seas to stay in the cockpit.

Nelson Abreu
Serenity Now
Coronado 25
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-11-2012

I'm not advocating that... just thinking out loud that that's what mostly happens.

No question that having the proper sail for the conditions - whatever they may be - is the right way to go..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 11 Old 05-11-2012

I had the same concerns regarding having the ability to deploy a proper storm jib, with a roller furling set up. I think I paid about $700. for my Gale Sail about 3 years ago and have yet to deploy it out of necessity.

I viewed my options as: rigging a removable forestay behind the roller furling or the Gale Sail, I chose the latter.

In the short duration squalls that you refer to the investment might be unwarranted, if you had greater exposure to longer duration storms, lows etc, I would defiinitely want a strategy to deploy an appropriate sail.
Faster and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by tempest; 05-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-11-2012

Hello,

IMHO, a storm jib is used if you are OUT there (out of sight of land, no hope of being in a safe harbor for a day) and a big storm is forecast to hit, or you get hit with a storm that comes up unexpectedly.

For the type of sailing I do (day sails, weekend trips, typical coastal cruising), I don't feel that I need a storm jib. If bad weather is forecast I will stay home (or in a harbor). If I'm sailing and I get hit with bad weather (more than 30 kts of wind) I will just furl the headsail, reef the main, start engine, and either ride it out (if it's short duration like a squall) or head for safe harbor if that is possible. Either way, I don't see myself ever having to sail in more than 30 kts of wind for more than an hour or two.

good luck,

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #7 of 11 Old 05-11-2012

For what you are describing, you do not need a storm jib. If you get caught in a thunderstorm reef (before you get hit) the main and roll in the jib as much as you need. Your sail shape will stink but you will keep moving and be more balanced. Once the storm has passed roll out the jib and shake out the reef and keep going. I would bet that 90% of the sailors with furling headsails do this versus setting a storm jib.

1985 C&C 37
Neptune Beach FL
post #8 of 11 Old 05-11-2012

My current boat came with a gale sail from the PO, being a San Francisco boat it also had 2 reefs in the main, a 110 jib, and a life raft. Got hit by some unpredicted **** bringing it south, after reefing, then dousing the main at what seemed like great peril I considered deploying the gale sail. A quick look convinced me that the risk of going to the bow far outweighed any benefit from the gale sail.
I still haven't figured out how to safely deploy the thing when you get hit unexpected, which is the only times I've wanted it.

"Just call me TB"
post #9 of 11 Old 05-13-2012

There are different thoughts on this but I don't think a storm jib is a necessity on a boat of that size unless you plan on sailing in heavy weather or doing long trips. Weather reports are now so good that you probably can avoid being out in more than 25 knots, which is the only time you would probably need it.
SVAuspicious likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-14-2012
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I had the same concerns regarding having the ability to deploy a proper storm jib, with a roller furling set up. I think I paid about $700. for my Gale Sail about 3 years ago and have yet to deploy it out of necessity.

I viewed my options as: rigging a removable forestay behind the roller furling or the Gale Sail, I chose the latter.
I suggest an experiment. On a slightly sporty day (say 20 kts sustained with seas fully evolved) go sailing. Furl your jib. Drag your Gale Sail from storage and up to the foredeck. Try not to lose the sail bag overboard as you hook up the sail and raise it around the furled (and wet) jib. Don't YOU fall overboard.

Let us know how that works for you.

My experience and judgment regarding the Gale Sail is that in conditions that might cause you to want to use it you will not be inclined to do so.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in