need help making the decision - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 Old 06-25-2012

Re: need help making the decision

I say NO because at 26' it becomes a liability you cant clean up on your own and your into survey size to get even basic insurance
chef2sail likes this.

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 Old 06-25-2012 Thread Starter
Huck

well this boat is perfect for me it has every thing i need and i can go were ever i want even tho i probally won't go too far it will be nice to sleep on on the weekends and clean up and relax. and if i wanted to i could sail it tomarrow. so its a project that is usable but needs some work to bring back to pristine condition and i could probally live on this boat like i wanted to when im 18. any idea how to convice my dad? hes still kinda strong about not getting it but my moms on my side. Also i was thinking maybe just taking it and bringing it to my mooring and then tell my dad he'd be mad for a while but would get over it after a while its really risky tho and i don't like to get him mad. lol

16' mistral sailboat, And 27' coronado
post #13 of 59 Old 06-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Do it. listening to the voices of reason is the reason people never do anything. 10 years from now, you'll be having a beer with your dad laughing about the sail boat you put on the mooring with out his permission. I've had my boat since I was 18 and have never had insurance or a survey. rather than buy stuff for it I took stuff off it and started sailing. And when you turn 18, sail south get the hell out of New England, I did.

" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

post #14 of 59 Old 06-25-2012
The most female moderator

Dock

At the risk of sounding stuffy and overbearing: Please let's remember as we give huck advice that he's still a minor. Going against a parent's wishes at 18 is a bit different. I think we probably shouldn't encourage him to be defiant at this point.

I think it's awesome that he wants to play with boats rather than ride the Wii for endless hours and for the year that I've chatted with him, I've admired his willingness to do the work needed on his other boats. He genuinely enjoys working on boats and figuring things out. That's encouraging in a kid his age and will hopefully translate well when he goes out on his own. But until that time, he still has two parents to answer to.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #15 of 59 Old 06-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

When I was 16, I would buy old cars, dingy's, motorcycles, what ever, with out My parents permission. Sounds like the kid has a good head on his shoulders. I reckon if my Father told me to absolutely not do something I would'nt have. When I was 19 I singlehanded my boat to Belize and everybody told me I could'nt and should'nt. It was the years prior to 19 that I aquired the skills to do it. At least he's on this forum and not some weird one.
Jgbrown likes this.

post #16 of 59 Old 06-25-2012

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

There are no free lunches in life

Why is it free? Why is it being given away?

As Newtons Third Law states-To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction: or the forces of two bodies on each other are always equal and are directed in opposite directions.

What does it cost to put out on a morring? Suppose she breaks free and does $20,000 damage to another boat...do you have the wearwithall to cover that or can you even get insurance?

I am sure with your supposed drive and passion you could fix it up. Have you fixed up the other boats you have bought completely or did the nuance wear out quickly amnd now you are moving to another project? ( lots of people (adults do this). I have lots of dreams and wants...and my reality is I couldnt have them all right away or some were not possible at all.

Quote:
CaptAaron-Do it. listening to the voices of reason is the reason people never do anything
Thats great advice...do you have or have had children? Lets use your reasoning in a couple of other scenarios not to far from this one thats some "adult" might have given him advice to. Your statement is not appropriate to a young teenage under his parents roof still.

How about...I want to drive....I know someone who will give me their car for free...
Quote:
CaptAaron-Do it. listening to the voices of reason is the reason people never do anything
or

Theres this girl...shell give it up for free, but my parents tell me I should have sex at age 16...
Quote:
Listening to others advice is a sign of maturity. Making well thought out decisions is another. Acting for Immediate gratification is a sure sign of immaturity.

I suggest you talk this over with your parent(s) and come to a decision with them. Their advice, since the really know you, will be tyhe best advice you can get in this matter. After all they will ultimately be responsible for your actions for a couple of years more. Dont lose your drive or your dreams.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #17 of 59 Old 06-25-2012 Thread Starter
Huck

thanks guys and im just going to show him that i should get the boat then keep begging. clean up all my boating stuff get rid of all the junk. and yes i did have another project it was a motor boat first boat i got and it needed a lot of work fixed it up went out on it after a sumer found out the transom was junk. so i started it and reliazed it wasn't what i wnated i like sailing more and the motor boat isn't what i wanted. at all.

post #18 of 59 Old 06-25-2012 Thread Starter
Huck

also its be given awasy since the guy hasn't payed for his mooring and hasn't touched the boat in 2-3 years

post #19 of 59 Old 06-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Ya, but we are talking about a little sail boat. I guess down here in key West, and having known a ton of teenagers, boy's and girls, with little sail boats that they fix up it's, not such a big deal. Look at Tanya Aidey, Robin Graham and the most recent little girl. If I thought the kid was stupid enough to drive off a cliff I would'nt tell him to. Ya'll are so worried about breaking off the mooring. How's 26 foot little sail boat going to do any thing like 20 thousand dollars of damage. It's going to bounce of stuff. Just tie it up good. Sorry if I over stepped my boundries to the Boy. Do his parents know he's on the computer?.... Listen Kid, if your dad say's no, that means no. If you can talk him in to it, go for it, fix up the little thing and have fun..... tie it twice.
bljones likes this.

post #20 of 59 Old 06-25-2012

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Listen Kid, if your dad say's no, that means no. If you can talk him in to it, go for it, fix up the little thing and have fun..... tie it twice.- Capt Aaaron
Good advice

Quote:
How's 26 foot little sail boat going to do any thing like 20 thousand dollars of damage. It's going to bounce of stuff. Just tie it up good
Lets see..Little 26 sailboat braks off mooring in 30 knott winds...Carreens through mooring field...strikes a couple boats ( Bristols and Hinkleys)...hits a rock ( After all he is in RI where there are lots of them) puts a hole in her and sinks in the navigational channel. Cost for the deisel/ gasoline spill- $40,000) cost to have the boat removed because its a navigational hazzard- $40,000) No insurance so who pays and is liable.

Use you powers to convince your dad. Get you other projects finished and in order then approach him. Other free boats/ low cost projects will come along in your next 10 years for sure. Dont lose your dream of gettimng a larger boat, and it will happen.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in