need help making the decision - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 Old 06-25-2012 Thread Starter
Huck

Re: need help making the decision

im already getting rid of my project boat tonight and i will be getting insurance on the sailboat exspecaily that size
and im not worried about it in winters and such since i know it can last winters lol

16' mistral sailboat, And 27' coronado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 Old 06-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Ya , what ever. I forget you guy's are in the outrageously over priced north east where sailing is a seasonal hobby and yachts and yachty's are every where. I see little sail boats breaking lose all the time in my anchorage, we go get 'em and tie 'em back up. they bounce off stuff. I was t-boned buy a 40 foot West Sail in a 45 knot norther last year and he made neat little gouge in my toe rail. Way above the water line so I did'nt sink. He won't break loose and if he hit a hinkley he'd be over there the next day buff'n out the smudge mark. If he he hit's a rock, he's not in the channel. My boat sunk in a channel once, I paid a guy 1000 bucks to lift it with an air bag and I plugged the hole with a 5 dollar bung. I was assuming it did'nt have an inboard so you got me on the deisel. Either way, liability, so I hear, is cheap. Common sense is cheaper. That's what I've been using for 20 plus years of living on the hook and cruising year round. Sailing is an expensive hobby, but it's an affordable way off life if you do it right.
Brent Swain likes this.

" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-25-2012 at 06:45 PM.
post #23 of 59 Old 06-26-2012

My young ones are now 24 and 27 and i kind of tried to raise them to live within there means

It kind of worked out as one is prosecutor and the other a social worker

Are young one here has NOT compleated his current projects and i can say for sure the 16' is about the limit of current money supply

One of the many things my BIL did was GIVE THEM the 18' Correct Craft when it was within there means and we both guided them through ripping it apart to the bones

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 59 Old 06-26-2012
KNOT KNOWN

I think sailing up north costs 1000 times what it does down here. It' seems to me that the N.E. recreational sailor has made it as expensive and difficult as possible. Down here, we take an old fiberglass hull, put a sail up, and sail around the bay. no big whoop. Seems like Ya'll need, state of art rigging, new sails, chart plotter, good inboard deisel, new color coded sta-set line, all run to cockpit, intricate reefing systems, fancy fowl'ys, a pair of gortex gloves, a sailing club membership, tow boat and boat u.s, sat phone, spot, e-pirb, a hydro stat life raft, water maker, a.c., liability, fire and flood, a good internet connection and a bank loan before you'll even consider leaving the dock. Jeez.
Brent Swain likes this.

post #25 of 59 Old 06-26-2012

You really need to read all HIS posts as we have and know were he is in abilty at this point

what could his parents possibly know who HAVE ALREADY let him own and sail boats know ?

I am just a guy who rowed out on the east river with bunch of wood and and outboard to get his 500 dollar Cal 29 home

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 06-26-2012 at 10:41 AM.
post #26 of 59 Old 06-26-2012
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I think sailing up north costs 1000 times what it does down here. It' seems to me that the N.E. recreational sailor has made it as expensive and difficult as possible. Down here, we take an old fiberglass hull, put a sail up, and sail around the bay. no big whoop. Seems like Ya'll need, state of art rigging, new sails, chart plotter, good inboard deisel, new color coded sta-set line, all run to cockpit, intricate reefing systems, fancy fowl'ys, a pair of gortex gloves, a sailing club membership, tow boat and boat u.s, sat phone, spot, e-pirb, a hydro stat life raft, water maker, a.c., liability, fire and flood, a good internet connection and a bank loan before you'll even consider leaving the dock. Jeez.
I think this is a bit of a generalization and exaggeration about both areas. Sure, some people take "keeping up with and doing better than the Joneses" to a new level but it's not the majority of the people who I surround myself with or come across on the Chesapeake. And I don't get the feeling that it's the majority of the people who regularly contribute to this forum.

On the flip side, I don't believe for a minute that everyone in your area are neo-Clampitts on the water.
CalebD likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #27 of 59 Old 06-26-2012
KNOT KNOWN

No, but there is a difference in the mentality. My skill level started as "none" when I was teenager and by going out and messing with cheap little boats on the bay I got better at it. I didn't let the fact that I wasn't good at at it stop me from becoming good at it. There are a lot of bare bones budget sailors in my area. We keep it simple. Largely do to the climate, water temp, year round access, and yes, Key Westers are a breed all there own. we are a bunch of mis fit's from else where. We get the snow birds and there is some contention, you can tell at the dingy dock who's from where at a glance. Some people get in to the game when they have the 100 grand, some are raised in it on cheap little bare bones boats. As a kid raised on the hook in the key's I have a different philosophy than the suburbanite who sold the house to buy the dream. I want more people to realize it's not a just rich man's game . Or just for the retired. I've made the skills I gained as young bare bone sailor into a career as 200 ton tow boat master. I was given advice by adults who were'nt my mommy and daddy when I was in my later adolescent years. No Harm.
Brent Swain likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-26-2012 at 11:02 AM.
post #28 of 59 Old 06-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Cold water makes you cautious.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #29 of 59 Old 06-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
No, but there is a difference in the mentality. My skill level started as "none" when I was teenager and by going out and messing with cheap little boats on the bay I got better at it. I didn't let the fact that I wasn't good at at it stop me from becoming good at it. There are a lot of bare bones budget sailors in my area. We keep it simple. Largely do to the climate, water temp, year round access, and yes, Key Westers are a breed all there own. we are a bunch of mis fit's from else where. We get the snow birds and there is some contention, you can tell at the dingy dock who's from where at a glance. Some people get in to the game when they have the 100 grand, some are raised in it on cheap little bare bones boats. As a kid raised on the hook in the key's I have a different philosophy than the suburbanite who sold the house to buy the dream. I want more people to realize it's not a just rich man's game . Or just for the retired. I've made the skills I gained as young bare bone sailor into a career as 200 ton tow boat master. I was given advice by adults who were'nt my mommy and daddy when I was in my later adolescent years. No Harm.
Judging by the boats in Lauderdale and Miami, I'd say Floridians spend ridiculous amounts of money on boats with the best of them.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #30 of 59 Old 06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
. Sure, some people take "keeping up with and doing better than the Joneses" to a new level
You can understand the pressure I feel to always stay ahead of the pack.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in