need help making the decision - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 06-24-2012 Thread Starter
Huck

need help making the decision

so theres this free 26' sailboat full keel i think new rigging. the boat was overhauled about 5 years ago but it sat at the mooring for 3-4 years through the winter and huriicane still there and still floating. so i was told about it and went out and took a look i had permission to get on.
so the boat has no motor or trailer of couse and it sat on the water so its a bit dirty. ok the outside has gelcoat cracks of course. it has main and jib. winches 5 of them all together 1 on the mast. has sail cover. the tiller is broken just the wood piece tho. has roller furler on bow the jib was kept in the cabin.
ok so the outside isn't that bad needs a cleaning and waxing the hull needs to be scrubed and painted but now real rush before next year probally.
now for the inside its a bit beat up but has 2 marine batterys a radio a vhf a head i didn't look to hard but its enclosed also has foward v berth and bed/ couch and then dinet on the right and small sink and ice box. now i saw that the keel bolts are a bit ruseted and have some water around them but the hull other then that is dry is that a big deal?
so should i go for it and take it? im not going to take it out for the winter it will stay in a sheltered area since i know it can last winters nowsince it has for the last 3 years

what should i look for? sorry no pics

16' mistral sailboat, And 27' coronado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 06-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

Re: need help making the decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
so theres this free 26' sailboat full keel i think new rigging. the boat was overhauled about 5 years ago but it sat at the mooring for 3-4 years through the winter and huriicane still there and still floating. so i was told about it and went out and took a look i had permission to get on.
so the boat has no motor or trailer of couse and it sat on the water so its a bit dirty. ok the outside has gelcoat cracks of course. it has main and jib. winches 5 of them all together 1 on the mast. has sail cover. the tiller is broken just the wood piece tho. has roller furler on bow the jib was kept in the cabin.
ok so the outside isn't that bad needs a cleaning and waxing the hull needs to be scrubed and painted but now real rush before next year probally.
now for the inside its a bit beat up but has 2 marine batterys a radio a vhf a head i didn't look to hard but its enclosed also has foward v berth and bed/ couch and then dinet on the right and small sink and ice box. now i saw that the keel bolts are a bit ruseted and have some water around them but the hull other then that is dry is that a big deal?
so should i go for it and take it? im not going to take it out for the winter it will stay in a sheltered area since i know it can last winters nowsince it has for the last 3 years

If you have the time & money to fix it up, go for it - it's FREE fergawdssake. Haunt the consignment shops for what you need to upgrade it and keep it simple. As long as you don't spend multiple boat bucks to correct the flaws, you'll get a nice boat for next to nothing.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #3 of 59 Old 06-24-2012
Seņor Member

It all depends on how deep your pockets are, and how much time & energy you are willing to invest to make her right.

Like SJB said it's currently free, so you will be starting out WAAAAY ahead of most new boat owners.

Just remember that there's no such thing as a free boat. If it's been as sadly neglected for as long as you believe, then you are probably going to need to infuse a fair amount of money in the short term.

First and foremost, I'd want to check all items that keep her afloat and/or keep her from sinking. Just because she's made it this far doesn't mean that something won't fail tomorrow.
- Have someone knowledgeable check the keel bolts. This is a pretty important safety item; if the keel comes off, bad things tend to happen.
- Through hulls and seacocks, with any attached hoses (to include hose clamps.).
- Bilge pump.
- Ground tackle (at a minimum the part that's attached to the mooring; preferably your entire set up.)

After that, it's less critical things (i.e., stuff that makes her functional.)
- Spread the sails out and evaluate condition.
- Unless there was a solar or wind power source, then the batteries are likely toast.
- Have the standing rigging checked, to include chain plates if possible.
- Etc, etc, etc.

Also remember that once you own it, you are responsible for it. If it sinks, or breaks free of her mooring, or anything else calamitous you can think of, then you will be expected to correct the situation.

post #4 of 59 Old 06-24-2012
The most female moderator

Dock

Huck (smallboatlover) is 16. I kind of think he has more time than money and if he takes on more after school odd jobs, he'll then have no time to sail.

Huck, you have your Mistral and a powerboat that you can't sell. Are you REALLY sure you want to take on a third project boat?

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #5 of 59 Old 06-24-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

Quote:
what should i look for?
Huck, buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Caseys-Complete-Illustrated-Sailboat-Maintenance/dp/0071462848/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340568553&sr=8-1&keywords=don+casey
You seem to have in interest in collecting older boats in need of repair. This book will help you ALOT.

Try not to accumulate too much junk. You'l find just keeping that stuff will eat up your money. Try to keep things simple. Play with one or two toys at a time.

If you want it, get it. Just make sure...really sure...you actually do want it and will follow through fixing it up. Sounds like this little 26' is more along the lines of what you wanted to begin with, that your Mistral isn't providing. Be realistic with yourself about being able to afford it though. Just 'cause it's free doesn't mean it's free. People don't usually give away something of value. However, they do quite frequently dump their problems on unsuspectiong others.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
post #6 of 59 Old 06-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

No such thing as free boat, kind of like puppies. But hell, why not, better to regret things you did than never have done anything. And as someone's tag here say's, There is nothing as important as messing about in boat's, or something like that. I took over ownership of my 28' when I was 18, still have it 23 years later.
SloopJonB likes this.

" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-24-2012 at 10:48 PM.
post #7 of 59 Old 06-24-2012 Thread Starter
Huck

well im getting rid of my power boat i don't like it lol and lost motivation since its a powerboat and doens't have any thing i want or like its a trihull so it takes a pounding limiting my time on the water. small so i can't do a lot of stuff on it. and it cost money to run it. and the sailboat i was talking about is pretty much ready to sail i could sail it tomarrow just would have to replace the tiller piece of would since it snaped

16' mistral sailboat, And 27' coronado
post #8 of 59 Old 06-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Huck (smallboatlover) is 16. I kind of think he has more time than money and if he takes on more after school odd jobs, he'll then have no time to sail.

Huck, you have your Mistral and a powerboat that you can't sell. Are you REALLY sure you want to take on a third project boat?
Or are Mom & Dad willing to have a third boat in the backyard?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #9 of 59 Old 06-24-2012

Dock

I know your a younger guy so maybe the experience, even if poor, might be worth it?
I'd say go for it, you'll learn a lot either way,

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:

s/v KIVALO
2003 Hunter 260
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester while loading his boat with gin.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
post #10 of 59 Old 06-25-2012

I'm on your side here but I say don't do it. Just because you want something dosn't mean you need to have it. Save the thousands of dollars that the boat will need and put it into something more manageable. I know your heart is there and I really respect that in you, I wish I had mor drive when I was your age. The problem is with a project like this one heart isnt enough there has to be a wallet to back it up. I've read almost all of your posts because I bought a Mistral 16 just like yours. I know you are interested in cruising which is hard to do an a small boat with no storage.

I think you should spend your money on a boat that better suits your needs at this time. I know the boat is free, but I mean the money you would have to spend to make it useable. There are lots of boats that are under 20 ft that have a great reputation and can be cruised and sailed for much less money.

Look for a Rhodes 19 or Mariner with a keel, a Cape Dory Typhoon, Cal 21, the list can go on and on of pocket cruisers that you could get for a few thousand dollars. Four thousand can get you a darn nice boat.

Gain some experience on a boat you can afford to keep sailing, then when you have gone to college, gotten your dream job, and before you get married, trust me on this one, before you get married, buy your dream boat.
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in