Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 135 Old 03-29-2016

Re: Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I only see a blank post in Mantus post above newt's post. Is this real, or an artifact of my iPad/connection/location?

Mark
Looks like they tried to link to a YouTube video about the bow roller but it's not showing up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 135 Old 08-19-2016

I'm shopping for anchors now. Will get 33 lb Rocna or 35 lb Mantus. So I'm going back and reading old threads like this one.

One of the things I've noticed is that the price of Rocna and Mantus are almost the same. I thought that Mantus used to be much less expensive (like 30-40% less). Has Mantus raised their prices, Rocna lowered theirs, or am I just looking at the wrong dealers?

Given an equivalent price I would probably go with Rocna due to longer history of use and higher grade steel.

Any suggestions for good deals on either anchor brand would be greatly appreciated.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #93 of 135 Old 08-19-2016
Banned

Hey Five,

We just used our Mantus anchor EXTENSIVELY on our 1K mile trip from Texas-Florida, anchoring in all kinds of bottoms and conditions along the ICW - with a couple of storms thrown in. It performed flawlessly and exactly as advertised. It set immediately and solidly every single time and we never, ever dragged. I slept like a baby.

Couple that with the good people behind Mantus and to me it's a no-brainer.

Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

post #94 of 135 Old 08-19-2016
Learning the HARD way...

First off my disclosure; I have a Chinese made Rocna 15 on my bow, and I am happy with it. I always set it at 3:1, then, after it is set, anchor at >5:1. It has NEVER failed me.

I have also won a $200 gift certificate from Mantus, and used it to buy an "Anchor Mate" bow protector, and a stern rail anchor holder. I am very impressed with the build quality of their products.

(my bow with the Anchor Mate and Rocna installed)

S/V Panope has done a series of videos, and posted links over on SA. Anchor Geekdom - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

In the videos Panope tests the anchor setting and resetting ability of several different anchors. Among the anchors tested were a 45lb Mantus, and a 33lb Rocna at 3.5:1 and 2.5:1 scope, and in sand and gravel bottoms.

45lb Mantus Tests:

33lb Rocna Tests:

It did not surprise me that the 33lb Rocna did not reset as well as the 45lb Mantus. What did surprise me is that the Rocna only had trouble on RESETS.

I do not want to imply any criticism of Steve from S/V Panope. He is doing the entire boating community a favor, and seems to have come up with a great methodology for testing anchors in real world conditions.

Also, I like knowing the owners of Mantus; Greg and Phillip Kutsen, and I have exchanged emails with them. Those that have been around SailNet long enough remember Craig Smith, who was the son of the Rocna inventor. However Rocna has since been sold to Canadian Metal Products (CMP), and they are manufactured in China. Good luck contacting them.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-19-2016 at 11:48 AM.
post #95 of 135 Old 08-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Given an equivalent price I would probably go with Rocna due to longer history of use and higher grade steel.
The Mantus actually uses a (slightly) higher grade steel than the Rocna, but there is little practical difference.

Both are excellent anchors. You really cannot go wrong with either of these.

The Mantus has slightly better performance in my view.

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.
post #96 of 135 Old 08-19-2016

Those videos are really eye-opening, especially the last one. It would seem that the 33 lb Rocna had more difficulty resetting, and for me resetting in clocking winds would be a key reason to buy one of these things (as demonstrated by wind graph of a 70kt clocking wind that I posted in another thread).

Of course, it's sort of apples-to-oranges comparing 33 lb to 45 lb. I'll have to review more info later tonight. Does he give any clues about design features that could be the reason for the difference in performance between Mantus and Rocna?

On a separate matter, I know the shank on the Mantus is narrower, but that would fit under my furler a little better, so narrower is not entirely a negative.

Also, I'm concerned about Rocna moving production to China. Is it possible that the people who swear by Rocna are basing their experience on a build quality that is no longer available in the new anchors? At least Mantus, wherever it is produced, is probably the same as it was when it was introduced. Although that's an assumption that I have not checked out, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I do remember some of the complaints when one of the anchor manufacturers moved to Asia (lower quality steel, etc), but I thought that was Manson Supreme, no Rocna. Is that right or wrong? Perhaps my memory is fuzzy. [EDIT: I confirmed that my memory was wrong. It was Rocna that tarnished their brand by moving to China and allegedly reducing the grade of their steel.]

I'll have to go re-read some more threads when I get some time. But that video has me leaning toward Mantus over Rocna at this point.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-19-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #97 of 135 Old 08-19-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Once again; I have a (properly sized) Chinese Rocna 15kg (33lb) on my O'day 35, and I am happy with it. In 7 years it has NEVER let me down. I also have a Fortress FX-16 as a stern anchor, and as a kedge if needed. I recently bought myself the Fortress, as it serves a specific need, and is light weight. I gave my 35lb Spartan (which is a CQR knockoff) away, and was glad to be rid of it.

I teach sailing and anchoring on boats with Spade, Fortress, and plow anchors. I like the Spade and to a lesser extent the Fortress, but I have never trusted a plow overnight.

A problem that I have with S/V Panope's methodology is that Steve is testing as if the wind or current suddenly shift, without loosing strength, 180. In my experience, the wind or current either slack, and then pick up gradually from another direction (think tidal current), or the wind will gradually shift direction incrementally. Steve has also tested an appropriately sized Manson Supreme (45 lb), and had trouble with the anchor resetting because of the rock slot.

I have tested my Rocna while running the engine at high idle (~1200 RPM) in reverse, while at slack tide, with no wind. Prop walk caused my boat to rotate around the anchor, but the anchor did not move. I also throttled up after rotating 180 from the initial set with no issue. Maybe it was just me, or maybe it was that I anchored in bottom that the Rocna was particularly well suited for... I don't know.

I will also admit that I bought a Rocna over the Mantus Supreme because it would better fit my bow roller. I don't like the size (specifically the height) of the Manson Supreme's shank. The Mantus was not available when I made my bow anchor purchase.

As you know, anchor wars frequently turn into religious battles, and I will not to go there. So far, this has been a good discussion.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-19-2016 at 02:32 PM.
post #98 of 135 Old 08-19-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Of course, it's sort of apples-to-oranges comparing 33 lb to 45 lb. I'll have to review more info later tonight. Does he give any clues about design features that could be the reason for the difference in performance between Mantus and Rocna?
Difference in the size of the fluke is the main thing that pops out to me. I would love to see SV Panope try the test with a 40lb Rocna 20 (next size up from a 15), which has 110 cm2 more surface area.

post #99 of 135 Old 08-19-2016
Puget Sound Pounder

I know everyone forgets about the ol' Spade but I am a believer. It was the first one of the 3rd gen anchors. I have had 4 boats rafted up on my 44 lbs Spade in 10-15 knot wind (~35 ton of displacement). I did have 6:1 scope on 200 feet of 3/8" chain. The downside is the cost of Spade. When it comes to anchors, cost is the least interesting factor IMHO.

Here is a great anchor testing video:

Last edited by kellysails; 08-21-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo fix
post #100 of 135 Old 08-19-2016
Banned

Steve's (Panope's) videos are always good.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in